Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kardinal
Sep 21, 2003

My God, the tools that brought us here are utterly inadequate.
Title of Instrument: Fender (American) Standard Telecaster
Price paid: $650
Year manufactured: Unsure, but I bought it new in early 2006.

Specs:

BODY: Alder
NECK: Maple
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
BRIDGE: Classic 3-Saddle Telecaster Bridge
PICKUPS: American TeleŽ Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
FINISH: Vintage White

Sound: 5/5
This guitar sounds simply amazing. The neck pickup is really fat and mellow sounding, but can get really muddy with distortion which kind of sucks. The bridge pickup is really twangy, just what you'd expect from a Telecaster. I wasn't very pleased with this at first and I would only play it with the tone knob turned all the way down, but lately I've grown to love it. You can make a Telecaster sound extremely dirty with the right amount of distortion and reverb. Don't get me started on how it sounds with my Small Stone turned on. :fap:

Instrument quality: 4/5
I've only had this for a year, but it's held up quite well thus far. It travels well and can take a pretty good beating. Its only chip is where I drunkenly dropped my acoustic and a tuning peg caught the corner as it was sitting in the stand. I do have a couple of annoyances though. The metal bridge can be a bitch if you hit it with your hand wrong while strumming. Sometimes I really get into whatever I'm playing and when I'm done I look down and realized I tore some skin off one of my knuckles. My biggest beef though is the 3 saddle bridge. Once the strings start to show the slightest bit of wear the high e string's intonation goes to poo poo, and you can't adjust it because if you do then the intonation on the b string will be hosed up when you try to compensate. That's my only real problem with this guitar. Well... that and I still think telecasters are hideous.

Playability: 4.5/5
I learned to play on one of those crappy Ibanez GIO starter guitars which is setup for newbies. I thought the action on that thing was awesome, but it's even better on the Telecaster. It's extremely fast with no rattling at all. My only gripe, and the sole reason it got a 4.5 here instead of a 5 is that the higher frets are too small for my fingers and it's hard to play extremely high up on the neck. Though, I suppose that's really more of a problem with my fingers being fat than a problem with the guitar.

Overall value: 5/5
I walked into the guitar shop wanting to buy a Strat, or if that failed a Les Paul. I actually hated Telecasters, thinking they were ugly, twangy pieces of poo poo. After playing every Strat, Les Paul and Ibanez guitar in the store I saw a lonely looking Telecaster sitting on the wall and said, "hell why not." I plugged it in, strummed a C, looked at the guy and said I'm buying this. That being said, I love this drat guitar. I don't see what else could get me away from playing a Telecaster. I guess I'd have to sit down and get wowed by another guitar, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU