Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Presonus Firebox
Price Paid:
$260 @ Guitar Center

Specs:

* 24-bit/96kHz FireWire recording interface
* 2 front panel inputs with preamps and 48V phantom power
* 2 balanced TRS line inputs
* 6 balanced TRS analog outs
* MIDI I/O
* S/PDIF I/O
* Recording and playback through 6 inputs and 8 outputs simultaneously
* Stereo headphone output
* Volume control
* Steinberg's Cubase LE
* Compatible with most ASIO/WDM and Core Audio based applications

Quality: 10/10

For something this small and this inexpensive, I'm really impressed at the build quality of this guy. All metal case, good quality jacks, and the knobs feel really solid.

Sound: 8.5/10

Output: It's been a while since I've listened to music on anything other than the built in sound card of my G4 tower. I sold off my M-Audio MobilePre a while ago, and that thing sounded like poo poo. Before that I had an M-Audio OmniStudio, which sounded pretty nice, but the Firebox blows them all away - and I've had the same set of M-Audio SP5B's the whole time. Absolutely silent.

Input: Plugging my hot rodded jazz bass in sounded like it should, but it didn't add any extra goodness. The preamp is really quiet though, and when I plugged the DI from my Aguilar into it I was able to get some seriously nice bass tone.

Ease of use: 10/10

I'm using OSX and the drivers are built into the OS. I didn't have to install a single thing to get it working. I just plugged it in and went to the Sound control panel to change the input and output device. You need to install the mixer application to get direct monitoring ability, but otherwise you don't need anything. Worked beautifully with Logic Express 7.2, Garageband, and Cubase LE. I didn't have to mess with anything to get latency free recording with no pops or anything.

Overall Value: 9/10

I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this guy. For a personal studio recording and practice tool it's awesome, and it's small and sturdy enough that I'd have no problems taking it with me anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU