Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zorander
Mar 27, 2004

GLASSES
Title of Instrument: Rhodes Mark I Stage 88
Price Paid / Price New: $900/not sure
Year Manufactured: 1979
Specs:

88 keys, volume + "bass boost" controls. Sustain pedal. Instrument level output.

Sound: 5/5

The sound varies quite a bit from instrument to instrument, although with the help of effects modules it's possible to get most conceivable "rhodes" sounds out of most any rhodes from a similar era. Mine is fairly "deep" (e.g. you have to hit it pretty hard to get it to "bark").

Instrument Quality: 4/5

Rhodes models from this era are built like tanks. Mine has needed some pickup rewinding, but other than that is mostly ok. Still, though, some notes on the piano are better than others and a few have "damper kiss" which can be hard to get rid of. The entire instrument was designed to be maintained, tweaked, and repaired by the owner and it has a pretty extensive manual.

After almost 30 years, the exterior of the piano is all but pristine and it still sounds great. If it weren't for the minor issues, I'd have rated it 5/5.

Playbility: 4/5

I would take the keyboard on the rhodes over pretty much any synth keyboard. It's not as "perfect" feeling as a real grand piano action, but it's more forgiving...it provides less resistance than a real piano during fast passages. Still, it's not 100% consistent across the board, providing a constant reminder that the rhodes action is a compromise.

Overall Value: 5/5

I don't have an issue with what I paid for this. I would have been happy to pay another $300 on top of it if I'd have known how well this would turn out, particularly for one of the more rare 88 key models. I bought this on ebay, sight unseen, after one popped up 4 blocks away from me. Given how much a pain and expense it was going to be to ship one of these babies into the city, I jumped on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU