Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Title of Instrument:Epiphone Dot Studio

Price:picked it up for $250

Year made: Sometime in 06 I think

Sound: 4.5/5
I was definitely impressed by how nice it resonates (its a semi-hollow body guitar), and because of how great it sounds unplugged I practice with it more than my Ibanez acoustic. The twin pickups give it some crunch, which is good for a lot of stuff I play, mostly rock and some country/jazz. There's onl two control dials, which might bother some who are really picky about their sound. A little buzzing here and there on the fretboard, but that's probably because I haven't taken it in to be set up properly yet. :)

Instrument Quality: 4/5
Mine has a really nice cherry wood finish, which shines when the lighting is right. The guitar is pretty solid, and it stays in tune pretty well. The only complaint I have is that the tone and volume dials were loose, but that was fixed by twisting them until they didn't spin freely like they did before. There were some wires visible when looking into the f-soundhole, but reaching in and tucking them back fixed that. The action and fretboard were smooth, and the neck is solidly connected to the body, not a bolt on like some cheaper guitars. Not bad for a guitar from China.

Usefulness: 4/5
I probably wouldn't use it for gigs unless your main rig breaks or something, but its drat good for practice. It's designed to be a simplified studio guitar for working on stuff, hence the "Dot Studio" in the name.

Overall Value: 5/5

If you want a cheaper electric to get started on or for using as a backup/workhorse, get this one. They originally sold for $400~$500 when they first came out, and it looks like some stores are clearing them out for newer gear.

Pic of goodness (click for big):

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 6, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU