Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I spent the last weekend trying out microos on my new practice machine.It is pretty cool. Switching to the transactional mode worked well and was easy.

SE-Linux on the other hand does not work well and is not easy. I suspect I have to give up on using rootless podman, or switch off SELinux. Or spend a stupid amount of time learning that stuff. Considering that microos had defaulted to reserve 400Gb for root containers and 20Gb for home including rootless containers, I can guess what they want. Though that isn't documented anywhere.

Speaking of stupid time, I also finally managed to get quadlets to function well enough to start understanding them. After around 2 years of bouncing off their terrible documentation.
They are pretty cool, and probably even more fun for those people who actually remember the systemd syntax.
I still don't understand why I had to convert my self-built container to a kube instead of a container.
And I don't understand how or even if I can use other backends with the volume unit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

On a related note, I've been playing with podman on FreeBSD. It seems very close to usable - random linux containers will fail at step 4/11 when pulling them, and then the same container works fine if I build it locally. The truly custom things, like the ZFS storage backend, seem to work fine?

Of course I did all this in service of booting Fedora CoreOS over PXE because I want to test running a small cluster on our retired servers and workstations - but that doesn't mean I can't use FreeBSD as the DHCP/DNS/PXE server.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest downside to podman is it's still in rapid development and has a lot of quirks and poor documentation. Early on it was pretty clearly a gateway drug into k8s (that redhat hoped they could turn into an openshift sale) but that's tapered recently. With RHEL9 and derivatives it's a pretty painless container service.

I like it a lot more than docker (which is still totally fine, it just feels like it's getting crushed under the weight of its age). Quadlets are a really cool idea.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

Quadlets

Oh, rad, this will let me get rid of runit and my dozen+ permutations of a "run this container in podman" startup script.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

VictualSquid posted:

So, I spent the last weekend trying out microos on my new practice machine.It is pretty cool. Switching to the transactional mode worked well and was easy.

SE-Linux on the other hand does not work well and is not easy. I suspect I have to give up on using rootless podman, or switch off SELinux. Or spend a stupid amount of time learning that stuff. Considering that microos had defaulted to reserve 400Gb for root containers and 20Gb for home including rootless containers, I can guess what they want. Though that isn't documented anywhere.

I really recommend against turning off SELinux. If you do you can never turn it back on.

Just use the
code:
--security-opt label=disable
flag in your podman run command if you want it ignore a SELinux headache that you can't figure out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I even have users using quadlets to run rootless elasticsearch containers.

The best of all worlds.. I don't have to keep ES running, and I don't have to give out root so they can maintain it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Quadlet has undergone a lot of improvement lately. The most recent version of podman should let you define pods for quadlets without having to use kube files. Which makes it dramatically easier to group a stack of containers that need to work together nicely.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm excited to see that Linux 6.9 will have support for larger console fonts. Is it possible to see if 6.9 actually includes the larger fonts or is it up to someone else (distros?) to provide them now that the support is there?

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.9-Larger-FBCON-Fonts

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VictualSquid posted:

Do you want to learn SElinux in particular? It looks like microos can use either SE or apparmor, and normally uses apparmor (also what suse defaults to for their other distros). The "container host" role is what picks SE.

And if you picked container host that also might be why the storage reserve.

Mantle posted:

I'm excited to see that Linux 6.9 will have support for larger console fonts. Is it possible to see if 6.9 actually includes the larger fonts or is it up to someone else (distros?) to provide them now that the support is there?

It'll be up to distros to ship bigger fonts (easy enough, for high-res fonts you can just bitmap a real font). And then it'll be up to you to set one of the new big fonts to be used.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Quadlet has undergone a lot of improvement lately. The most recent version of podman should let you define pods for quadlets without having to use kube files. Which makes it dramatically easier to group a stack of containers that need to work together nicely.

I've been migrating over from compose files to quadlet pods lately and it's amazing how painless it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The systemd dependencies you can set up are super slick too. Tired of nginx barfing because a reverse proxy backend isn't running? Systemd will start that for you. :smug:

By far my biggest complaint is that rhel9 has deprecated iptables and podman doesn't speak nftables yet. Everything works but it makes managing rules a stupid(er) chore because we converted all our configuration management to use nftables.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Inceltown posted:

I've been migrating over from compose files to quadlet pods lately and it's amazing how painless it is.

I like how it handles auto-updates too. Brings down the current container, pulls the new one, spins it up then, and most importantly, if the healthcheck for the container fails, rolls back to the previous image for the container.

Obviously things could still be wrong in a way that don't completely bork the container after an update, but that check is already significantly superior to updates that docker does.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You guys are really starting to sell me on podman over docker for my fast-approaching server build

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You guys are really starting to sell me on podman over docker for my fast-approaching server build

:getin:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

For which combination of OSes?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As computer viking was hinting, it's gonna depend on the OS.
For Linux, I think maybe you're limited to POSIX 1e ACLs on NFSv3 and v4, but FreeBSD, Solaris and Illumos-derivatives, macOS, and even Windows Server does NFSv4 ACLs.
NFSv4 ACLs are pretty much compatible with Windows/SMB ACLs (well, except the NFS client in Windows..),

EDIT: For FreeBSD, the wiki has everything you should need, until it gets moved into the handbook.

Sorry for abandoning this, I figured it out. And, for the record, Rocky Linux 8.9 on both server and client. I eventually figured it out.

It was easy, actually, I think I got fooled by a combination of inexperience, firewall rules and services not being started.

Full solution here: https://serverfault.com/a/1158965/600891

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

Do you want to learn SElinux in particular? It looks like microos can use either SE or apparmor, and normally uses apparmor (also what suse defaults to for their other distros). The "container host" role is what picks SE.

And if you picked container host that also might be why the storage reserve.

Yes I picked container host. Though like I said I was mostly surprised that it ships with podman in a configuration that makes rootless hard.

When I moved the rootless container storage to /var I needed to copy some selinux rules. So I assumed it was selinux. Unless those commands are identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Do it. I was using an app called podlet to convert my commands to quadlets and it worked great. Use it before it becomes outdated.

Just remember to set the install option. Which doesn't do what you think, it enables the quadlets.

E: add Android's spellcheck to people who hate podman and quadlets.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 7, 2024