Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pentium166 posted:

I just run Discord in the browser on my Linux machines and it's fine. I don't game on them (for now) though, so I'm not missing the desktop integration stuff.
this, except i do game on them

discord app is a pile of poo poo, run discord in your firefox it'll run faster, and you can block all the annoying nitro popups with ublock lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Seems kinda cruel to inflict linux on a mere child.

Unlike most adults, children like to do this thing called "learning" so they'll probably figure it out, and also install the ugliest UI themes you've ever seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Unlike most adults, children like to do this thing called "learning" so they'll probably figure it out, and also install the ugliest UI themes you've ever seen.

rxvt with fake transparency was NOT ugly

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

install the ugliest UI themes you've ever seen.

The ability to decorate a thing precipitates the obligation to decorate a thing.

This is childhood 101.

mystes
May 31, 2006

cruft posted:

The ability to decorate a thing precipitates the obligation to decorate a thing.

This is childhood 101.
Also home ownership

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm having to do some automation that's going to mount disk image files. The original code is using the mount command with root permissions, even though the files involved aren't root-related. I gave my regular account blanket permissions to run mount and umount, but I still can't create loopback devices as a regular user; I still have to use sudo to mount the file. What else would I need in order to create loopback devices without running as root?

A sanitized version of the command that's giving me trouble:
code:
mount -o rw,loop,offset=32768 /tmp/provisioning_experiments/img_data /tmp/provisioning_experiments/fs
This is all assuming the mount command, but I've seen plenty from searching that there are other commands for this. I first just want to get the original process working in code w/o root, but I'm hoping I can make that adaptation after finishing an initial pass just using mount (conserving what all I'm juggling). The problem is there are quite a few of them over the past few years (usermount, udiskctl, guestmount...). In, say, Ubuntu 22.04, which of these should I be pushing to see if I can use it in the long term?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The user running the mount command probably needs read/write access to /dev/loop-control and /dev/loop[0-7]. In Debian those files are owned by the user root and the group disk. So in theory you could add a user to the group disk (then log out, log in) and it would work.

Edit: Oh I see you can mount but the files in the image have owners that you can't edit. It sounds like bindfs fuse mount should be able to map/present specific users as owners of the files.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 30, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

waffle iron posted:

Edit: Oh I see you can mount but the files in the image have owners that you can't edit. It sounds like bindfs fuse mount should be able to map/present specific users as owners of the files.

No, I can't actually mount and that loop-control stuff smells like it would be part of it. I get a very generic "failed to setup loop device for /tmp/provisioning_experiments/img_data". If I sudo it, then it's cool.

I was just reminded that the next problem after this would be how to chroot into that file system to run some dpkg/apt commands to install some packages into it. Is that a job for fakeroot or something like that?

Edit: I gave myself the disk group and just got a different permission-related error about not being an actual sudoer. So I think I have to just give up on that path unless I want to morph my regular account into root. So barring anything else, I'll start dabbling with udisksctl (which still asks for a password for loop-setup, but I can apparently change that by editing some file). I'll take alternate recommendations.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 30, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like guestmount could do the mount in userspace just fine and even automatically detect and set up the EFI partition. The next problem would be to chroot into and and be able to run apt and dpkg commands without being root.
The impression I got is that techniques for this have drifting away from using chroot entirely.

Would LXC containers be a good path that I should just be using here? I'm guessing I could just create some container out of my image and then work off of that to install some stuff. This would actually be baby's first container (well, the first time I'd be creating one myself for doing something) but I'm assuming this is a normal and good thing to do with that. Is that generally sane and possible?

I don't want to, say, boot the image up in a VM because the full boot has some very hard-ware specific things happening that could get in the way and could also kick off some stuff that would alter the image's state in ways I don't want. However, I do want to be able to run apt and dpkg to install some stuff. It's fine as it is using a chroot, but that involves root credentials and using root to run those tools. I'm trying to avoid that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’m desperately trying to understand ACLs on NFS with Kerberos/IdM. Anyone have any pointers on that? I can’t possibly be the first person to want to do this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bolind posted:

I’m desperately trying to understand ACLs on NFS with Kerberos/IdM. Anyone have any pointers on that? I can’t possibly be the first person to want to do this.

For which combination of OSes?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The other morning I was feeling crappy because I went to sleep very dehydrated. So I sat down and learned enough QML to make a thing!

Gonna put it on the KDE Store as soon as I figure out the system to upload stuff. I promise it won't rm-rf your system.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

The other morning I was feeling crappy because I went to sleep very dehydrated. So I sat down and learned enough QML to make a thing!

Gonna put it on the KDE Store as soon as I figure out the system to upload stuff. I promise it won't rm-rf your system.

Woah, this looks a lot like the Kotlin compose stuff I do all day. I might need to check this out lol

Nice work!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The world needed another DSL. Glad to see this.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think QML has been around for 10 years now

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Imma boutta blow the socks off these n00bs

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

I think QML has been around for 10 years now

More. RIM (Blackberry) was using QML for their BB10 phone back in 2011 or so. And it was a few years old by that time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a screen saver extension for gnome you guys like? I remembered that screen blanking on the windows install never worked and I had to use a screen saver since windows simply didn’t turn the screens off, which makes me think it’s my motherboard and not gnome. It’s odd that KDE didn’t have this problem for me, though, so maybe it’s not

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bolind posted:

As computer viking was hinting, it's gonna depend on the OS.
For Linux, I think maybe you're limited to POSIX 1e ACLs on NFSv3 and v4, but FreeBSD, Solaris and Illumos-derivatives, macOS, and even Windows Server does NFSv4 ACLs.
NFSv4 ACLs are pretty much compatible with Windows/SMB ACLs (well, except the NFS client in Windows..),

EDIT: For FreeBSD, the wiki has everything you should need, until it gets moved into the handbook.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 3, 2024

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Is there a screen saver extension for gnome you guys like? I remembered that screen blanking on the windows install never worked and I had to use a screen saver since windows simply didn’t turn the screens off, which makes me think it’s my motherboard and not gnome. It’s odd that KDE didn’t have this problem for me, though, so maybe it’s not

Haven't screen-savers all but died? Nowadays just turn off the screen. The only thing I do more is disable sleep/hibernate because in the late 90s it never worked and I just never ever enabled since. That's on a desktop, on a laptop things may be different though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah they basically have since it keeps the screen life up longer. Ugh I really didn’t like KDE compared to gnome, but it’s just such an annoying issue. It kills my dongle for my mouse too so I have to reach back there and unplug/replug.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You can try xscreensaver, it's extremely retro however (think Windows 95/98 style retro). There was a port of the Mac Arial screensaver but I never got it working correctly.

Though maybe xscreensaver doesn't work on Wayland idk. It's sad, I miss having something goofy pop up when I'm away.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 4, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Though maybe xscreensaver doesn't work on Wayland idk. It's sad, I miss having something goofy pop up when I'm away.

Nope. Wayland doesn't have a system for screensavers.

And JWZ did something so that xscreensaver won't run on xwayland at all. (Officially because it can't lock the screen and he cares about security, but really he probably did that more for spite.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

security and spite are equally good motivations here and I bet he’s glad he didn’t have to choose between them

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is it a crime to want the matrix glyphs running down your 4K curved monitor while you workpoop?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I have to agree with the security issue. That one time when Xscreensaver became unresponsive and I had to SSH into to the computer and kill it's process certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

well that hardly sounds like a security problem, but definitely inconvenient

I wish I’d only had to do that once!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Someone fork Wayland to add screensaver support so I can run Johnny Castaway

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

Is it a crime to want the matrix glyphs running down your 4K curved monitor while you workpoop?

Back in 2008 I was installing Gentoo on my laptop at uni and became known for a bit as the guy running the Matrix because of the local social rep knocking on my door and seeing it going through the compilation process in the background.

Sadly I turned out to be a computer moron and stopped using Gentoo shortly after, so that was stolen valour.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Someone fork Wayland to add screensaver support so I can run Johnny Castaway

you don't need to fork it, you can just add an extension

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Nope. Wayland doesn't have a system for screensavers.

And JWZ did something so that xscreensaver won't run on xwayland at all. (Officially because it can't lock the screen and he cares about security, but really he probably did that more for spite.)

I love that his blog posts still tell us what he's listening to, like 2002 LiveJournal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

you don't need to fork it, you can just add an extension

are Wayland extensions dynamically composable and independently packaged somehow, or do they need to be implemented by each Wayland implementation once they’re specified?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

are Wayland extensions dynamically composable and independently packaged somehow, or do they need to be implemented by each Wayland implementation once they’re specified?

every compositor, but there's only two that matter and KDE probably already has a screensaver extension

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

every compositor, but there's only two that matter and KDE probably already has a screensaver extension

OK so they're forking with an API for exposing why you forked, basically

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its not a fork if you get it merged upstream, then it's just sparkling vendor extensions!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

and KDE probably already has a screensaver extension

it doesn't! even KDE has no love for screensavers. at most you can set the screen lock to be a picture slideshow.

OTOH if someone really wanted to make a screensaver that was just pretty graphics and no security, it would not be that hard. JWZ is only saying things like "I can't detect user activity on wayland" because he is a caveman and anything that's not down at the systems level doesn't exist to him. Kde has a way to get idle time and I'm sure gnome does too. So you could make a simple thing that waited until N idle minutes according to the window manager, then launched the fun demoscene screensaver.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some suspicious language in the addIdleTimeout and idleTimeoutReached documentation that makes me think that the author doesn’t really understand how timers work!

jwz doesn’t want to link to some KDE library that might not be present on a system, and I can’t blame him. what he’s doing is not specific to a desktop environment, and under X it didn’t matter what desktop environment the user chose

why doesn’t Wayland have a sink for user event notifications, or at least a user timeout? does it not traffic in user events?

(and how does the KDE thing work that jwz couldn’t do the same thing in Xscreensaver?)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, yeah, jwz has terminal boomer brain, there's no reason to listen to his opinions on anything except possibly San Francisco's hostility to nightclubs and pedestrians.

A correctly designed Wayland screensaver extension would probably involve the screensaver application registering with the compositor, being given a screen sized surface and then receiving start and stop events. The screensaver wouldn't even be involved in user authentication, and if it crashed the compositor could just turn off the display.

Wayland is designed to be "secure", which means applications aren't supposed to be able to learn anything about user activity or what other applications are doing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oh, yeah, jwz has terminal boomer brain, there's no reason to listen to his opinions on anything except possibly San Francisco's hostility to nightclubs and pedestrians.
He's genx

quote:

Wayland is designed to be "secure", which means applications aren't supposed to be able to learn anything about user activity or what other applications are doing.

They should have done a better job allowing applications that users want to do these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

jwz doesn’t want to link to some KDE library that might not be present on a system, and I can’t blame him. what he’s doing is not specific to a desktop environment, and under X it didn’t matter what desktop environment the user chose

I think that's how you have to do things in the modern world. You dynamically link to the kde library when you're running on kde and the gnome library when you're running on gnome, etc.

Subjunctive posted:

why doesn’t Wayland have a sink for user event notifications, or at least a user timeout? does it not traffic in user events?

From what I understand, no, Wayland is very focused on just the rendering and input. It's not doing any notifications or inter-process communication or all the poo poo that make X into a towering pile of unmaintainable features. The Wayland answer to all that other stuff is to use DE libraries or dbus. Your client gets a buffer to render to, and input events when it has focus.

Subjunctive posted:

(and how does the KDE thing work that jwz couldn’t do the same thing in Xscreensaver?)

In X, the xscreensaver daemon ran in the background and just watched the keyboard/mouse inputs to detect idle time. If you used a controller to play a game, the standard advice was to install a secondary program that would deactivate xscreensaver while a joystick was active.

In wayland of course you can't see any input that's not being sent to you. If you're building a user level program you have to act like a client and live downstream of the desktop environments, because the window manager is the only thing that has that ability.

A correctly designed Wayland screensaver extension would probably involve the screensaver application registering with the compositor, being given a screen sized surface and then receiving start and stop events. The screensaver wouldn't even be involved in user authentication, and if it crashed the compositor could just turn off the display.

So I'll say this for him: that's exactly what he said a Wayland screensaver architecture should be. Put all the security and authentication down with the display manager, which already does that job. He's a caveman, but he's not a stupid caveman.