Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh no. I am so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

My condolences for Dajour :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RFC2324 posted:

Dajour just died. I missed the signs of a bacterial infection until it was too late because I have been so busy nursing Delilah through multiple things.

This is the worst feeling
I'm so sorry. Something similar happened to me; I didn't notice my banty rooster's ear infection because I was sick myself. Like boberteatskitten (and my vet) keep telling me, you're not a vet and you can't be everywhere at once either.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm taking his ashes up to the shelter I got him froms new location. Hes gonna be the first dead one at the new location.

And I woke up this morning and his partners head is twisting, tho its possible that its because of pain(fighting abscessed teeth).

The drat bunnies, so much stress and grief and half the time they are being pissed at you for taking care of them. Good thing they are so amazing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uh, my vet is on vacation until next Thursday and we're still waiting on lab results. The results go directly to her, so the people at the vet office don't have access to it. Should I be worried?

We already started treatment for cuniculi (fenbendazole) in addition to the antibiotic (Baytril), precisely because she didn't want to delay treatment while waiting for lab results. But if it's an ear infection and not cuniculi, is the Baytril enough?

I'm still syringe feeding Bert three times a day. I think he ate some solid food on his own last night, or else Ernie was a very hungry boy. No way to know for sure. Because the recovery time for head tilt is so long, I'm trying not to read too much into good days and bad days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not to turn this thread into my personal blog, but I'm going to do it anyway. I already had a scheduled checkup for my parrots, so I took Bert and Ernie in for a followup. The bad indicators from Ernie's last bloodwork have cleared up, so I don't have to worry about him. The parrots are in perfect health too.

Bert is showing some improvement. Still tilting badly, still rolling instead of walking, still suffering from nystagmus a lot of the time. But he's holding his head off the ground more, and eating more solid food and hay. I put more towels down in their pen, and he's not getting pee and poop all over himself like he was for a few days there.

I was really really worried that he was badly dehydrated, but he's actually better on that front than when I first took him in. I was also worried about injury/inflammation to his down eye, but that's doing okay and the vet told me what to look out for.

The biggest concern is that he's lost some weight--down from 4 lbs. to 3.5 lbs. I thought we were out of the woods with regard to him eating on his own, but I still need to syringe feed him Critical Care a couple times a day. That's okay, I can do that.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I got a new rug, and Twix, who only had contact with hard wood floors, was beyond himself

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Showed those to my spouse, they're adorable.

Bert is almost totally recovered from his head-tilt. He's eating a lot and doesn't need the special litter box anymore. I expanded their habitat back to its normal size and took the extra mats out. With renewed vigor, his goal in life is to not have a good picture taken of him. Here he looks pretty active, but he's been active. Very active.

Ernie: still a worried potato

I got them this little straw hut. Bert, at least, has figured out how to run through it, but Ernie prefers flipping it over until it collapses.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

goblin week posted:

Twix jumping

Omfg this rules

Also YAY for Bert!

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I feel very lucky with my bun. I never really had to litter train him, he just naturally prefers to go on bedding. On the other hand he's VERY timid... I wonder if there's a way to get him out of his shell a little. He doesn't mind (read: tolerates) handling and being held and petted on, just annoyed leg flicks after I put him down, but he doesn't really seem to actively seek out people at all. Is there a way to get a bunny to want to hang out with you? Do I smell bad or something?

That being said aside from that he's doing great. About 2 years old now and loves tossing stuff around in the middle of the night and running so fast on the tile he slides and bonks into the door.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I lost Delilah last week, and I am so devastated. Its been 7 days and I still keep crying

Can't wait to go adopt another lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm sorry. It sounds like you worked really hard, for a long time, taking care of her. If I'm being honest, I'm not even over Ludo years later.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

We fought for months trying to fix one thing after another and just ran out of money. The worst reason

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
God. Rabbits and birds are cheap to feed, it's the healthcare costs that are literally lethal. I'm still financially recovering from what I spent on my pets over the past miserable, horrible year.

It's a truism that when you adopt a pet, you take on the cost of healthcare. But most Americans don't have $500 for any given emergency and any given pet bill can easily exceed that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

She needed a 2k surgery.

Duck capitalism

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MagpieConcept posted:

I feel very lucky with my bun. I never really had to litter train him, he just naturally prefers to go on bedding. On the other hand he's VERY timid... I wonder if there's a way to get him out of his shell a little. He doesn't mind (read: tolerates) handling and being held and petted on, just annoyed leg flicks after I put him down, but he doesn't really seem to actively seek out people at all. Is there a way to get a bunny to want to hang out with you? Do I smell bad or something?

That being said aside from that he's doing great. About 2 years old now and loves tossing stuff around in the middle of the night and running so fast on the tile he slides and bonks into the door.

I would try to avoid holding him for a while if you can-- he will probably be more likely to seek you out for pets if he doesn't think there's a good chance he's going to get picked up, they really hate it

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

God. Rabbits and birds are cheap to feed, it's the healthcare costs that are literally lethal. I'm still financially recovering from what I spent on my pets over the past miserable, horrible year.

It's a truism that when you adopt a pet, you take on the cost of healthcare. But most Americans don't have $500 for any given emergency and any given pet bill can easily exceed that.

My pets are all cheap adoptees that have been costing me a fortune in health care recently. I put $50-100 a month in a savings just to cover unexpected costs. It's not a lot, but between that and Care Credit being accepted by vets it has really paid off over the years. No questioning whether I go grocery shopping or starve so my rabbit can scare me with another ER trip for GI stasis.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

RichterIX posted:

I would try to avoid holding him for a while if you can-- he will probably be more likely to seek you out for pets if he doesn't think there's a good chance he's going to get picked up, they really hate it

Thanks for the advice, sadly it's the easiest way to trim his nails though. :( Otherwise on the ground he'll scramble away but being held (on my lap, not high up) he stays still.

It sucks cuz I know it's a panic response but I'm not sure there's a better way to handle nail trims. He still takes treats immediately after so I was assuming it didn't bother him that much, ugh.

---

Also I'm so sorry about Delilah, RFC.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MagpieConcept posted:

Thanks for the advice, sadly it's the easiest way to trim his nails though. :( Otherwise on the ground he'll scramble away but being held (on my lap, not high up) he stays still.

It sucks cuz I know it's a panic response but I'm not sure there's a better way to handle nail trims. He still takes treats immediately after so I was assuming it didn't bother him that much, ugh.

---

Also I'm so sorry about Delilah, RFC.

Honestly I was assuming you were just picking him up all the time for funsies, so that's my fault, sorry! Trimming nails and grooming you absolutely need to do that kind of stuff. He may be just a bit of a loner!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MagpieConcept posted:

mimic their most relaxed body language. Go sit down on the floor 5 or 6 feet away and do a floop and wait for him to come check you out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, all you have to do is lie on the floor, wait, possibly get your socks bitten.

Hey, does anybody else find that some pet people online just have no scruples about what they post? I follow a lot of shelters and cute animal accounts, and I'm starting to trim it back because of all the pictures of animal abuse, severe illness/surgery, and even dead pets. A few days ago one of the shelters I follow retweeted a video of a woman bawling over the body of her pet, which was too close to the camera for me to know if it was a cat, rabbit, guinea pig, etc. I'm glad my Terminally Online condition hasn't progressed to the point where I receive a terrible personal blow and my first instinct is to record it like that. I'm utterly loathe to admit that anything I see online affects me emotionally in any way, but it's upsetting.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
drat, why would they film that? I can't imagine wanting to go back and revisit the memory of my crying over my deceased pets. And why would they share that? Just to get facebook likes?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The exotic animal vet I take Lillian to has a candle they light in the lobby when someone's pet is passing so that people in the waiting room don't yuk it up too much and be loud while someone is watching their pet go.

The downside is that it makes the lobby really quiet so instead you get to hear someone in the exam rooms crying their eyes out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RichterIX posted:

The exotic animal vet I take Lillian to has a candle they light in the lobby when someone's pet is passing so that people in the waiting room don't yuk it up too much and be loud while someone is watching their pet go.

The downside is that it makes the lobby really quiet so instead you get to hear someone in the exam rooms crying their eyes out.

They should get a white noise machine, imo, but that is a great idea.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RFC2324 posted:

They should get a white noise machine, imo, but that is a great idea.

Yeah, it's honestly a very sweet gesture when working as intended.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I got a big box recently and I'm thinking about making him a new dig box, or maybe an additional one. right now he has one that i've had for years and it's just a ton of newspaper in a box with a towel on the bottom and every so often he'll jump in and make a mess and flop, but I'm thinking about maybe making a fully contained one and taping the top shut and cutting a hole in the side for him to jump in and do whatever he wants. is that a bad idea? not sure what the best use of the box is but it was a computer chair so it's fairly large.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
We made a dig box by taking a big box like that and cutting it in half lengthwise, then nesting one half inside of the other so one half was covered and the other was open. It worked well and our rabbits seemed to like having the half-roof to hide and dig under.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

My bun loves his pre-Christmas gift (wrapping paper tube with hay in the middle) :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's a very happy tuxedo bun.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sometimes I worry that Ajax is lonely or depressed. He doesn't act like it and he seems completely normal, he's just been alone since we got him and people keep telling me that's a bad thing. he spent the first half of his life as a breeding rabbit and he's very territorial against other rabbits still and he seems completely content alone, so I don't think it's an issue. I just worry about him.

Then again he's almost 10 so he's getting older and just slowing down a bit anyway so maybe that's why he seems a little calmer now. I haven't seen him play with his dig box in a while, although I do see him flop sometimes, especially under the heater. Maybe I need to refresh his box or give him some fun stuff to play with.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

10 is a venerable age for a bun, I wouldn’t stress over it if he’s slowing down a bit. Maybe make some new toys and move things around a little bit to trigger him to explore his environment from time to time.

I wish I’d cut Broussette some slack when she got older, I probably made her stressed for no reason by trying to figure out why she seemed less active. :(

If you’re worried about him being territorial there’s pets other than rabbits he could likely get along with. I keep mentioning cats in this thread because they don’t attack rabbits and they tend to be pretty chill around each other.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

10 is a venerable age for a bun, I wouldn’t stress over it if he’s slowing down a bit. Maybe make some new toys and move things around a little bit to trigger him to explore his environment from time to time.

I wish I’d cut Broussette some slack when she got older, I probably made her stressed for no reason by trying to figure out why she seemed less active. :(

If you’re worried about him being territorial there’s pets other than rabbits he could likely get along with. I keep mentioning cats in this thread because they don’t attack rabbits and they tend to be pretty chill around each other.

Cats can and will attack rabbits, but tend to be able to tell the difference between a house rabbit and a wild one unless you have like a dwarf. I had to watch my cat with dajour because the cat loved to hunt him for sport (tho he never did more than swat and bite ears)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We lost Ernie a couple months ago. I didn't say anything on here because I didn't want the thread to be nothing but bad news, and I really didn't know what to say. I was pretty caught off guard by it--after all the energy it took to nurse Bert back to health, I never anticipated that Ernie would die suddenly.

I noticed he seemed down and wasn't eating all of his food, so I took him to the vet and found he had a respiratory infection. We got him on medicine and he showed a lot of improvement at the follow-up appointment, and then he was dead when I came home one day. I kept going over in my head what I could have done differently--he lost weight, but he was continuing to eat and poop normally, just not as much. I kept thinking I should have started force-feeding him Critical Care, but he never tolerated being swaddled well, and I think that probably would have made it worse faster. I just don't know what to say, really. At some point you have to accept that "What would a veterinarian do if they had them under 24/7 observation" isn't a standard you can hold yourself to.

Since then I've been spending more time with Bert. Some part of me wants to go out and adopt a companion for him right away, but I just can't do it. My first thought when I get home from anywhere is "I have to check on Bert to make sure he's alive" and I worry about his health constantly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

We lost Ernie a couple months ago. I didn't say anything on here because I didn't want the thread to be nothing but bad news, and I really didn't know what to say. I was pretty caught off guard by it--after all the energy it took to nurse Bert back to health, I never anticipated that Ernie would die suddenly.

I noticed he seemed down and wasn't eating all of his food, so I took him to the vet and found he had a respiratory infection. We got him on medicine and he showed a lot of improvement at the follow-up appointment, and then he was dead when I came home one day. I kept going over in my head what I could have done differently--he lost weight, but he was continuing to eat and poop normally, just not as much. I kept thinking I should have started force-feeding him Critical Care, but he never tolerated being swaddled well, and I think that probably would have made it worse faster. I just don't know what to say, really. At some point you have to accept that "What would a veterinarian do if they had them under 24/7 observation" isn't a standard you can hold yourself to.

Since then I've been spending more time with Bert. Some part of me wants to go out and adopt a companion for him right away, but I just can't do it. My first thought when I get home from anywhere is "I have to check on Bert to make sure he's alive" and I worry about his health constantly.
That really sucks. Losing a rabbit is always hard, especially when it's so sudden. I wouldn't rush out and get a new rabbit yet. You're paying a lot of attention to Bert, see if he's acting like he needs one, or if he's just bonding more strongly to you. You know him best, of course, but give both of you time to grieve and recover.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Sorry about Ernie man, that sucks. Don't beat yourself up too much, rabbits are very fragile and respiratory infections are just very bad news for them. From the look of things you did everything you reasonably could. I had the exact same thoughts you did about force feeding critical care to my rabbit before she died but the truth is it would not have done anything to actually fix the root problem -she was just old- and likely would have made her miserable. Don't rush things if you don't feel ready to get a new one and take good care of Bert in the meantime. :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/Bsd9JMFkRZ8

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lillian is dealing with a respiratory tract infection as well (she landed herself in the emergency vet two weeks ago with GI stasis and a low temp, they got her squared away, eating, pooping, temp normal and released her and then the next day I noticed she was acting weird and took her temperature and it was 105, so I got to pay for two emergency vet visits in one weekend).

She is on antibiotics and is eating and pooping, but she's still acting pretty out of it, I wonder if the fever might have scrambled her brains a little. She will eat, but sometimes has to be reminded that there is food in her bowl, and she will do odd things like start to do behaviors that she did when she felt better, and then abandon them midway. She's 8, so I'm sure the whole thing was pretty hard on her system. I also hate that a lot of my interaction with her in her declining years is subjecting her to psychological torture via syringe meds and critical care.

Man, we always said we would rescue more rabbits when Lillian passed because we are set up for it already and it feels bad to let them just languish at the humane society here, but I'm not sure I have it in me again after these last two weeks.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
Oh no way!
My Lola has a respiratory infection - she had it a while back and it never went away, we're back on Septrin, antibiotic injections, metacam - the works. She's 8 as well and I posted here before as she's been seriously ill in the past needing CT scans and ultrasounds but bounced back just as the vet bill hit 3k.

Anyway she's doing normal stuff too and also stops in the middle - but it's more like she's tired and gave up doing it to rest for a bit and then picks it up again later. I also noticed the food thing AND I threw her a treat the other day and she ignored it, and I guess because they breathe solely through their noses, if they have a respiratory infection, their smell must be affected? Because if she knew that treat was there she'd have eaten it!
So maybe that behaviour will get better once the infection goes.

Fingers crossed for Lillian!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Silverfish posted:

Oh no way!
My Lola has a respiratory infection - she had it a while back and it never went away, we're back on Septrin, antibiotic injections, metacam - the works. She's 8 as well and I posted here before as she's been seriously ill in the past needing CT scans and ultrasounds but bounced back just as the vet bill hit 3k.

Anyway she's doing normal stuff too and also stops in the middle - but it's more like she's tired and gave up doing it to rest for a bit and then picks it up again later. I also noticed the food thing AND I threw her a treat the other day and she ignored it, and I guess because they breathe solely through their noses, if they have a respiratory infection, their smell must be affected? Because if she knew that treat was there she'd have eaten it!
So maybe that behaviour will get better once the infection goes.

Fingers crossed for Lillian!

Thank you, this post actually made me feel a ton better! We are on day 7 of 12 of antibiotics so if she makes it that long I'm hoping we'll see some return to normalcy once the infection is cleared and her gut microbiome can return to some level of normalcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Kind of a weird bunny question but....

I had to move out suddenly from my parents' place to somewhere very far away with roommates. Both of my roommates' dogs cannot be trusted around rabbits / smaller pets and one even broke a door of the hinges when my roommates tried to keep a stray cat for a few days to find the owner. So my rabbit is with my family, but there's a potential I may not be able to actually move and take the bunny for another year or two.

What would you do? Part of me is like, I obviously want to keep my rabbit but I also don't want to force people to take care of a pet they didn't ask for that long - at that point they're essentially the new owners which I think is unfair to them. Should I start looking at rehoming them, taking them to a rescue or something or just wait it out?

This whole situation has me worried sick, I already had to rehome my pet pigeons because of this move and I've been stressing over the rabbit ever since. :(