Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had to put down my pet rabbit after almost nine years yesterday. He'd lived without use of his front right leg for about eight months, and just last week his back leg on the same side went bad. He lost use of that leg really fast, but we were prepared for something like that. It's funny how rabbits will stick to their routine even when they're ill. He was a fighter, all the way up to the end. He kept trying to get up and move around even after the vet sedated him. Holland Lops really earn their reputation for stubbornness. He'd lived his life on his terms, and he was still trying to eat and drink and play with his toys, even when he could barely get around his cage. Nice work, rabbit. You were a good friend.

I'd post pictures, but I never took any. I'm not the photography sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Neither of my rabbits cuddled, and my latest rabbit didn't really like to be held. My experience with rabbits is that, for the most part, they prefer to play on their own terms. When my rabbit wanted attention, he'd run up and hit you with his front paws. Then when he was done he'd go play. He liked to be near people without cuddling up with them: he used to lay down nearby, but didn't sit in laps or anything. The only time he'd get into my lap was if I ate a banana, and that was just so he could climb up me to try and get to the banana.

This seems to be pretty normal. Cuddly rabbits are the exception, not the norm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moving rabbits to a new home is tricky, especially for such an old rabbit. They don't adjust easily. It would be difficult to adopt him even if you didn't have rabbits already, and having to get a rabbit who has lived alone most of his life to adjust to a new place and to other rabbits would be very difficult. It might be possible, but it would be a serious challenge.

Unfortunately, a lot of rabbits live like that one does. Too many people adopt rabbits and aren't prepared to care for them, or don't understand the kind of work they really take. If the rabbit seems really unhappy in its current home, and you're willing to put in the time and effort, it could work. If nothing else, you might be able to give him his own separate space and a fairly happy few years even if you can't introduce him to the other rabbits.

But think about the space you have available, whether you have a neutral space to try and introduce the new rabbit to your old ones and get them to bond, and what your options are if they simply can't bond. Also be aware that you're going to have to spend a ton of time with this rabbit to get him to adjust to his new space and bond with you as his new owner, and at six that might not be possible. Since he currently lives alone in a small cage, just giving him a new larger cage in a home with more attention may help, even if you can't let him out of his cage for a while. He'll be used to staying in his cage, and just having more space and attention could be better for him. Unfortunately, if he's been mistreated for this long, he might have too many behavioral problems to adjust at all. Whatever happens, he'd be a difficult rabbit to raise unless you get extremely lucky and end up with a well-adjusted rabbit despite how he's been living. Even if you do manage it, don't expect him to have more than a couple years left.

Edit: Obviously you'll be moving him into his own cage, and only giving him a shared cage if the other rabbits bond to him.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 27, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's good to hear, everything I've heard is that rabbits don't adjust well to new situations. Mine sulked under the couch for a week after I moved his cage from one side of my room to another. But I've only had a couple rabbits, it sounds like you have a lot more experience.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have never in my life heard a rabbit make a barking sound. Do you have a video of this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What sort of cage/pen setup do you have for him? I want to get rabbits again later on, but since I'll be living alone and gone most of the day, I was thinking about a pair of Flemish giants. I'd heard they're easygoing, but I want to get a pair so they don't get lonely. (It wasn't an issue with my last rabbit since I was in a shared house). My concern is that two of them might take too much space to be able to comfortably keep in an apartment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

I want to use that bunny as a pillow
"A man was found today with his entire face scratched off. Authorities have only a single lead in the case, and the suspect is described as 'adorable.'"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I had my rabbit up on a dresser, because it allowed me to keep his cage door open (he liked to stand up on the edge and stick his head out) without escaping. The keys there were 1. He had a wooden house in which he could hide when he wanted to be under cover, so he wasn't that exposed, and 2. He had a cleaner cage with a litter box.

You should consider getting a house or covering for part of the cage, and finding out where he uses the bathroom and putting in a litter box rather than just lining the cage with whatever... confetti stuff that is. Generally, rabbits will pee in the same place every time (assuming they're spayed/neutered and thus not spraying pee everywhere), and will usually drop pellets there too, except for the ones they leave to mark territory. If you put the box wherever it is going now, it should litter train quickly. And if you place their pellets and any dirty litter in there, they'll associate it with their scent and start using it.

Also, how long have you had him and how much do you handle him or let him out of his cage to run around? He doesn't seem very comfortable around you.

None of this is unfixable, just work on his cage setup and spend more time with him so he can adjust to you.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 20, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

happyflurple posted:

Also echoing what my fellow bunny-slaves above me said; get that cage on the floor, let him out and try not to intrude on his space.
Before you start letting him out, you need to deal with some of the other issues. If you let him out now he's going to be destructive and badly behaved, and very tough to get back into his cage. You're going to want to be able to handle your rabbit and keep him from running away and being hostile to you before you let him out. Get rid of the salt lick and the stuff all over the floor, then give him a house, a litter box, some small toys he can pick up, and a hanging hay dispenser (timothy hay rather than alfalfa, since you're giving him pellets). The hanging toys and water bottle are a good start, but you need to work on the floor.

What room is your rabbit in? Is it the same room you spend most of your time in? You need to be spending a lot of time around the rabbit even if you're not actively playing with him or petting him during that time, so consider moving the cage to someplace where he can see/smell you more. Since he's on a dresser, leave that door open. Just having it open will give him more space to stretch and explore. Spend more time with him. Try holding him a couple times a day so he gets used to it. Once he has a good cage setup he should start to be friendlier to you within a couple weeks. Once he starts sticking his head out the door or coming up to it to be petted when you're nearby. Then you can find a rabbit-safe room to let him out in. Move his litter box, house, and food bowl out with him when you let him out, so he will have some familiar things and won't be too freaked out. Give him about an hour out of his cage. If he seems well-behaved, you can eventually move the cage down to the floor and let him stay out more, as well as explore the rest of your house/apartment.

Just remember that rabbits can get into very small spaces, so check around for places where he could hide and chew wires, etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's your plan once you get him old enough to be independent?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I used to catch my rabbit grooming his wooden house. It was the weirdest drat thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

alucinor posted:

No, pellets are not necessary for house rabbits except to boost calories. If you're growing rabbits for meat or fur, the increased protein IS useful (improves fiber texture in angoras for example) but the tradeoff is more health issues and/or a shorter lifespan, which really doesn't matter for fur/meat animals.
Questions about the hay you're feeding your rabbits, All the rabbit guides I've read say to feed them timothy rather than alfalfa if you're using pellets, since the alfalfa has more protein. Do you give them a specific kind of hay for the protein content, or is it a mix of various kinds of hays? Do you give them a set amount per day or keep their hay dispensers filled? How much fresh food do you give them and what sort of food? I'd like to plan ahead for when I get rabbits again, and I noticed that my last rabbit was a little overweight, which I had attributed to the pellets.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was under the impression that you should avoid anything in the broccoli/cabbage family because it gives them gas, which they have no way to relieve. Has this not been an issue for you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That rabbit is freaking me out. I've never seen a friendlier or more relaxed rabbit.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Anybody know a good way to get bunny pee out of upholstery
There's some anti-urine things they sell at pet stores that I really like. You just soak the spot and then scrub it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

^ Is that a Harlequin/Jersey Wooley mix?

Speaking of the House Rabbit Society, it's Easter, and that means abandoned rabbits nationwide. Sounds like it's time to give some money to the HRS and some stern lectures to people about responsible rabbit ownership.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is he a Holland Lop or part Holland? They always have those flat faces.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

luscious posted:

I have no idea why he has been doing this with his ear... it probably has something to do with the head tilt but it's not THAT bad at all anymore. Their heads tilt in opposite directions and it's really stupid and funny.
I had a half-Holland lop who did that for years, until eventually he stopped having his ears down at all. I'm not sure what the deal is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I even custom modded a cage with split levels for Harriet.
Can you post about that? I was thinking of doing something similar with a dog kennel if I get rabbits again, since it seems big enough to easily accommodate multiple levels and still have a lot of floor space.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbits are pretty hierarchical, so that just sounds like Harriet proving her dominance over you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Have you taken a look at the ear? Rabbits will shake their heads when something about their ears bothers them, so maybe she damaged it somehow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's pretty impressive, where is it from?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You might want to enlarge the doorway on that wooden house, so that the rabbit can sit under cover but still look out at everything. Also think about where you're going to put its litter box, hay, and water bottle in there. It looks like it might be a bit crowded, and the wire you're using could make hanging a hay basket or water bottle a little tricky. And you'll want to be sure you can pet/interact with the rabbit even when it's in its cage, so make sure it has a door that's easily opened and closed.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Confetti posted:

Well, she's managed to chew through four chargers so far. Maybe letting her have free roam of the house wasn't too smart.
I no longer have any corded Playstation controllers for the same reason.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Confetti posted:

And we just got this adorable lop today. Still working on a name for him.
http://i.imgur.com/L75st4a.jpg
John Rabbit Loppenheimer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

luscious posted:

A while ago I got the idea to set up Bitsy's area on a sex blanket. It's soft but absorbs any peepee she makes, is easy to throw in the washing machine and dryer, and looks pretty good. It's funny to me that this is the best solution that I have come up with.
Just don't think too hard about the fact that you weren't using the sex blanket.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have destroyed more than one vacuum cleaner with a combination of hay and rabbit hair.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

I've had to take mine partially apart to clear out hay that had jammed a tube but our vacuum has taken all the fur we throw at it. Just gotta empty the bucket and check the filters now and again.
Unless it all wraps itself around the brush and the belt burns out. I've emptied a few jammed tubes and filters, but I mean it when I say I have destroyed vacuums. As in "smoke is coming out of the vacuum."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The funny thing about this picture is that like half the questions are really easy to answer. Rabbits pee on your bed because it smells like you, you can't hold it because they have powerful back legs and sharp claws and don't really like being held, it eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yup, I am. To be fair, I think if rabbits do not arbitrarily destroy things they might die. The word I was confusing it with was "caecotroph."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's a lot nicer about not getting petted than my old rabbit, who would charge you over and over until you started petting him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

luscious posted:

They are actually very anatomically similar to horses.
Notably they have very similar teeth. Our last vet was mostly a horse vet. Exotics vets are hard to find in a small town. Even the local one right now has more experience with chinchillas than rabbits.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Does anyone here have any experience with Belgian Hares? They seem like an interesting breed, but I'm wondering how much space they need and how active they are. How are their personalities?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Prawned posted:

Aaawww, they could be sisters :kimchi: Does yours change colour all the time too? Apparently it's a characteristic of the "smokey pearl" breed or something.
I had a black mini rex that was born in a litter of dalmatian rexes. In direct sunlight she turned out to be dalmatian as well: very dark red spots on very dark brown/black.

My last rabbit was agouti, so he'd change colors depending on the angle you looked at him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I could never figure that out even when my vet showed me. When I tried it he'd just flip his poo poo. I just couldn't ever trim my last rabbit's nails. Fortunately they never caused him any problems.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My buns liked anything they could pick up in their teeth and toss around. Light metal trays were popular. As were dinner glasses, which you'd really thing would be too heavy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not seeing it, whatever it is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, that's not just weird lighting? Did they photoshop its eye or something?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We used to strew old tablecloths and sheets around the house for the rabbit, which kept him out of our clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Why didn't you catch the original bunny when it came up for pets and return it to your neighbor?
You're talking about a group of people who let their rabbit, which they did not spay or neuter, escape 6 months ago, then got tired of trying to rescue it. Would you give it back to them?

Edit: A better question is why don't you adopt the friendly rabbit who clearly prefers you to its original owners?