Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

luscious posted:

Yesterday night BItsy took some of my DVDs off the shelf and started chewing on them one by one. Then she took all of the zipties off of the shelf and threw them all over the room. I cleaned up that mess just in time to see her approach Paterson, who was happily relaxed and sleeping in his own little world, pee beside his head, start grooming his butt (which totally startled him), and then try to hump him. The look on his face was just too much. He woke up, went somewhere else, and she went to sleep where he was laying.

wtf.

Because it is a rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That bunny is so cute that it's caused this entire thread to grind to a halt.

Such incredible power wielded by something so insignificant. It's almost poetic.

Or it would be if the bunny wouldn't immediately try and eat the paper on which the poem was printed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Or tolerates me, anyway. She loves pretending to be a sausage and she loves being lazy even more. I shook the pack of raisins near my door and she just looked at me. I walked over and shook it in front of her and BAM, she nearly trips me up charging over to get a treat.

That's a happy bunny. She's comfortable enough to stretch out next to you, she's comfortable around you.

happyflurple posted:

edit: is it wrong that I put her hay right on top of her food bowl because she looks so so cute burrowing under it to get to it? She's sat there now munching away and all I can see are two ears sticking out under a mound of hay

Absolutely not. It's hilarious. Also, it gives her something to dig at which is good.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

My 4-year-old dwarf male just started chasing and trying to hump my very timid 2-year-old dwarf female's head and butt. I've seen him chase her like this on occasion and THOUGHT that's what he was doing but wasn't sure, but this is the first time I've actually seen him hump her. They've both been fixed since I got them. Google tells me this is normal dominance-establishing behavior, but I just wanted some more opinions/confirmation that this is the case, and that I don't need to separate them or anything.

As long as she puts up with it this behaviour should be fine. The dominance humping will stop once the pecking order is established.

If the female starts growling or releasing a really bad odor (trust me, you'll know if this happens) you should separate them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The rabbits I had with my ex, a couple of summers ago the male was happily hopping around on the balcony outside and for some reason, came tearing back in to the apartment, hid in his cage stomping his little bunny feet off. Go outside and find... a really confused looking grey squirrel sitting on the railing.

On the other hand, fire alarms? They'd be totally chill.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:love:

Of course, they're probably planning something terrible, but in a cute way.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Woke up to find Juppo staring at me, literally an inch from my face. I sort of want to know how long she was sat there. Creepy thing.

I don't think I've ever woken up to the bunnies that close, but I have woken up a few times with a pair of ears sticking up over the edge of the bed at me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DS at Night posted:

It usually means they're about to try to have sex with something.

What a wonderful thing to think about first thing in the morning with a bunny 2 inches from your face.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:( Hard to put down a pet. Of course, you can be happy he had a long, happy life as a beloved pet. Never a bad thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wormy posted:

On the other hand, she seems to be whittling a shiv...pretty sure she's going to take me out prison-style and escape.

Escape? Nah, her litter box, toys and food are in your house. She just wants control of the pellet/leafies supply.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Rabbits that are bonded will start to mirror each other's behaviour. Eating at the same time, sitting/resting/sleeping at the same time, be active at similar times. Actually laying curled up to each other isn't a huge part of bonding, though it does tend to happen. As long as they aren't fighting it's fine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It can take quite a while to bond rabbits. The two my ex and I had took nearly two years before they wouldn't fight and now they're quite happy together. Just keep them in close cages and work at it. 10 minutes a day of closely supervised together time, separate play time, feed them at the same time. You can also try giving them a little bit of greens during their together time.

Also, you'll have to realize that if you send back the male lop he may not get adopted by anyone else at this point, and that would be sad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

luscious posted:

I just caught Bitsy stealing chicken from the bowl of MY food I placed on the floor while I went to get some water. This isn't the first time that she has done this. Why do I have the most evil bunny in the world? She has a full bowl of food yet she hungers for meat.

Well of course she did. I mean, if the food is good enough for the big, furless, awkward looking bunny it's good enough for all the other bunnies, right?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Hate not being able to have her out, wanna cuddle the poor thing so bad :(

It's for the best. She'll be a little incontinent until the anaesthetic wears off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It wouldn't hurt to give her 24 hours or so, but it should be fine. Rabbits, like other rodents, heal very quickly outside of gut problems.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Sounds like she's right back to normal.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 6, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Hebug posted:

Rabbits aren't rodents dammit!

Yeah yeah yeah, lagomorphs. Very similar, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NTT posted:

So I've had a rabbit for a few months now (his name is Cocoa but gently caress that name I call him bun-bun), and his behavior's gotten a little weird. He can tell when I approach his cage, he enjoys attention, but he's very inconsistent about being petted. Sometimes he'll let me pet him (usually while he's distracted with food), but after a while he'll run around and that's all he'll do: run around. Is it normal for rabbits to just want me to chase them endlessly? Also he's recently gotten this tendency to lick my arm for a bit, then try to mount and proceed to hump it if I let him (I usually don't and tease him by moving my arm around too much for him to get good grip.) Will he grow out of this humping poo poo as he gets older or will this behavior continue until he's neutered? I'd rather not have to pay money to do that.

Get him neutered. Seriously. There's absolutely no excuse not to do so if you have the money to pay for keeping a rabbit. He'll be better behaved, more friendly and will have a much longer lifespan. The humping is normal and it will stop when he gets neutered.

And yes, rabbits wanting to be chased is completely normal - that's how they play.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Colonel Fluffybutt van der Bunny III

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That is one seriously chill bunny.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Agreed with the previous poster. That rabbit is seriously stressed out and very unhappy.

Move the food dish closer to the door, find a way to give him a little hiding spot in his cage (some coroplast works well) and get him off the dresser. Rabbits do *not* like to be stuck up high. He needs to be able to get in and out of his cage on his own so he can have a safe place to hide.

Also, yeah, get rid of the salt lick ASAP.

If you're going to get pets, please take care of them properly...

grack fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 20, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro grunts exactly like that when she's 1) pissed about something or 2) senses a threat. Once she's lunged at the threat and found it to be me or my wife, she usually puts her head down for grooming. Unless she's mad, in which case we get bun-slapped.

It helps if you say something before you get close to her.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet somehow broke the spring holding her water bottle to her cage, and somehow caused the bottle to crack. So, I bought her a new one. Somehow, she managed to get the new one to leak all over her cage. So, backup feed bowl is now a temp water bowl.

You know if you go to a place that sells supplies to boaters, you can get bowls with heavily weighted bottoms. They're meant to keep the bowls from sliding around while you're eating at sea, but they're just as good for bunnies that like to dig at stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Plus if you don't use a bowl now, be prepared for a whole new level of cute when you see bun use it!

Especially the first few times when they end up dunking their entire face in to the bowl and then sit up looking confused.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

That rabbit is freaking me out. I've never seen a friendlier or more relaxed rabbit.

Well, I have but it was a much larger breed.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Aw, that sucks mate. Better to sort it now though, aye. Not your fault.

In other news, molting bunnies are the worst bunnies. Juppo pranced up to me earlier, covered my shirt in fur, and now the room looks like it's been invaded by thousands of loving dandelion clocks. Keep finding fur in my drinks, my hair, my pillows, my mouth, my every drat thing.

Here, have a photo of the lovable little poo poo. She's way more affectionate now at least and the peeing and pooping on my bed has mostly stopped. She's also a lot more mischievous which means re-rabbit proofing later this week.

This is actually a good thing. Happy rabbits like to explore, run around and play with things (read: chew on every loving thing they can fit in their mouth).

happyflurple posted:

edit: seriously how much fur is meant to come off a drat rabbit? I'm pulling the loose hair out gently, she doesn't mind but I'm genuinely convinced she's gonna be bald soon. There's just so much! I'm not ripping it out, just combing my hand over her back and barely even gripping the fur between my thumb and forefinger.

Sounds about right. One thing about rabbits - they always have more fur. ALWAYS

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ella has now destroyed 200 dollars in AC adapters. 60 bucks a pop from best buy x.x It's the only cord she chews on, and is driving me nuts. She has so many toys and treats to chew on, why are you going after the bitter no-chew coated laptop cable?! I'm covering the next cable in soap.

Allow me to quote something from earlier in the thread:

DS at Night posted:

So anyway I thought I could stop my rabbits from gnawing too much on my table by rubbing soap on it but after a long and suspicious silence I caught one of them licking the soap off the table legs. What is WRONG with these creatures

Yeah, rabbits are strange creatures. Have you considered wrapping it in duct tape? May not stop them from chewing on it, but it'll be way tougher (and easy to just recover in duct tape).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Prawned posted:

We've been watching them for lethargy, they ate all the food they've been given and are smashing the fresh hay. The poops are now beginning to flow again, maybe they were just excited for the new bunny maze I made them? Seems like a false alarm, new at this :( To be fair, there's usually a constant stream flying out their bottoms so 6 hours sans turd was a thing.

Rule of thumb with bunnies is "it's never too early to start worrying".

Good to hear that they're fine, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Whelp, time for some cuter news:

I don't think there's a huge overlap between Bunny fanatics and Hockey fans, so here are pictures of Zenon Konopka's bunny, Hoppy. http://www.nhlpa.com/news/zenon-konopka-and-his-pet-bunny-rabbit

Zenon Konopka is a tough guy/thug with about a zillion career fights and a nose that's been broken more than 10 times.

He also has a bunny that travels with him regularly and has it's own miniature hockey jersey for the team that for which Konokpka currently plays (the Minnesota Wild).

Happy Easter.

grack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 31, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The337th posted:

"He feasts on a diet of cabbage, broccoli, corn on the cob, sweetcorn, half a cucumber, a carrot with a top, half a bag of watercress, two sweet apples, two slices of brown bread and Weetabix with cream crackers every single day."

I cringed a little just reading that list of foods, especially all the corn. I think it was this thread where someone talked about a rabbit that had been eating corn to the point that all the undigested kernel husks impacted into a nearly unpassable mess.

Cabbage is pretty damned bad as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

luscious posted:

I'm sorry about your, and your friend's, loss :(

Explaterson!

Little buddy seems to be having quite the ~*~moment of clarity~*~. Not only is he exploring the hallway, he is now all the way across the apartment in the living room. We have been here for six months and he never ventured out of this room and now he's all over the place and possibly trying to escape onto the balcony. Go figure.

Don't worry. First squirrel he sees out on the balcony he'll come tearing back in and not go out there again for another 6 months.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

Let me tell you, I've been trying to get my buns to bond for ages now and they just refuse to get along. We fell in love with a rescue rabbit and ended up taking her in, much to the consternation of our other bunny, Pixel.

Once it`s nice out again, I`m going to try taking them outside together. Maybe they`ll turn to each other for solidarity against the big scary world.

Anyone have any good bonding tips?

Stick 'em in the tub together.

Edit: Dry tub, no water.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Except you. I've come to accept my rabbit as a housemate rather than a pet. She doesn't pay rent and she shits everywhere but she's still the best housemate I have. I came home today after being away since Sunday night and she practically knocked the cage door down the second I came in the room, then came to sit on my bed next to me after I gave her her veg. She's still here next to me just chilling and licking my duvet, having taken a few breaks to amble around the room. Dunno why, I've been away for longer before and she usually reacts with utter indifference to my return.

Just wait. One day she'll be grooming your foot and you'll get up to do something and she'll growl and stomp on it because she isn't done yet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rabbits are pretty hierarchical, so that just sounds like Harriet proving her dominance over you.

It has nothing to do with dominance and everything to do with "Hey that looks delicious thanks for giving it to me (AKA leaving it unguarded for more than three seconds)".

grack
Jan 10, 2012

happyflurple posted:

Goddamn it rabbit you have an entire room full of things to ruin, why are you nibbling on my brand new shoes WHILST I AM WEARING THEM?

I'm fairly certain rabbits show affection by destroying the things you love.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

kells posted:

Went on another rabbit rescuing expedition last night, to capture this little guy:

:3:

I miss my bunnies...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Invader Mat posted:

Most of us just call him by his middle name. Humphrey. They have been really awesome pets, unfortunately bringing them indoors will probably never happen. We've been able to get close, hang out with them and pet them, but picking them up and holding them is probably a long way off as well.

If you can get them to live inside, they'll live happier, longer lives. As it is, being able to pick them up and hold them really isn't any kind of requirement to keep them indoors. Some rabbits just never learn to like being held.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

That's so sad. What happened?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

As others have said, that's pretty normal behaviour for a rabbit in a new environment. Keep the cage door open when you're around and can supervise, but otherwise do your best not to put your hand in her cage unless necessary (food/water/cleaning).

Also, cats and rabbits tend to get along fairly well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Prawned posted:

Shame, the lawn had to be treated with bug stuff a while ago so bunn haven't been outside for a while. Much happier now.

Whenever you post pictures of your rabbits they always look terribly guilty. I mean, being rabbits it's likely they've done something terrible within the last hour, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

:3:

The behind the scenes video is pretty adorable as well.

Bunway Airlines posted:

Mine have never, ever peed on any of my belongings.

No, that just means they're very good at getting away with it.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 9, 2013