Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Lobsterboy posted:

Is this just rabbits being rabbits, or what.

Unfortunately, yes.

Try putting a layer of hay on top of the litter. Sometimes that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eye infections aren't uncommon with rabbits, especially with their habit of shoving their little faces into everything. It will likely require some drops but should clear up fairly quickly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

becauseitisarabbit.jpg

This is all pretty normal. Best advice is sit on the floor with your bunny but don't actively go after them, just let them run around and get used to you first. Hand feeding bits of greens helps as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You'll have to be patient with rabbits, it can take a while for them to really warm up to you. It will happen if you keep at it, though. Like I said, just sit on the floor and let them run around. Read a book or something. But do it every day.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I had a pair of bunnies with my ex (she took them when she left which is why I'm here living vicariously through all of yours), and one of them absolutely loved car rides. Not kidding, absolutely loved them. He would happily get in to his carrier, and while driving you could take the top of the carrier off and he'd flop out.

He also loved going to the vet, which was also a little strange.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I would suggest putting something hard down at the bottom of the cage that extends beyond the edge of the walls. A grass mat makes a good sleeping spot/snack as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Things I learned yesterday that I should have learned sooner. If I am offering Harriet a treat, I should not pinch it between two fingers, but instead put it in my palm. Because bunnies have really bad aim. And my skin is surprisingly thin. And my blood condition means I bleed alot.

Well good work because now she's got a taste for blood.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kind of a sad story, because someone has obviously taken the time to properly socialize that rabbit. And then he ends up on a curbside in a broken cage.

Like Monks said, you're a good person for taking care of him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

I swear none of this is animal abuse.

Ella is just a GWS thread away from being potted hare x.x That's the pretzel jar she's climbing into, and her best friend Stanley-Ann attending.

edit: She got out just fine. We don't leave the jar untended any more.

This could only be more "bunny" if she'd fallen asleep in there and then bit you when you had to go pull her out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Huge Liability posted:

e: From Googling, it seems like there are lots of potential causes of hind limb paralysis (and stroke isn't one of the common ones.) It sounds like most of them shouldn't be fatal, and some even seem curable. His lethargy and unwillingness to eat are obviously still very bad signs, though. :( I'm going to try and stay positive until the vet visit.

One of my old rabbits had an issue with a pinched nerve that made her temporarily go numb in the hindquarters a fair amount. She was otherwise fine.

The concern here is that your bunny doesn't seem to want to eat. That's generally a sign of a worse problem. I hope he's okay.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aww, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear it went so bad so quickly.

Now I really miss my bunnies.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

dopaMEAN posted:

Well, we're 2 days into this experiment. She hasn't destroyed anything yet, our cats are getting over the baby gate, and Lola has been incredibly snuggly.

I don't know what happened, she's usually so antisocial. Now if I go in there for a few minutes she's all over me for pets. Maybe it's the change in environment - smaller room, no couches to hide under?

Edit: She's not eating her pellets. We bought a new brand last time, and it just so happened that I had to open the bag of the new stuff (ZuPreem) when she got home. She's pooping/peeing normally and eating everything else. I'm going to return the pellets tonight and get the good stuff (Oxbow). I didn't expect her to be so picky!

Any reason why you wouldn't try socializing your cats and your rabbit? As long as they're all adults they generally get along pretty well.

Of course you do sometimes get in to situations of furry peer pressure

Suspect Bucket posted:

I swear none of this is animal abuse.

Ella is just a GWS thread away from being potted hare x.x That's the pretzel jar she's climbing into, and her best friend Stanley-Ann attending.

edit: She got out just fine. We don't leave the jar untended any more.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you're careful with the introductions (and the bunny chasing the cats is pretty normal) you can socialize the bunny with your cats. As long as bunnies have some sort of companionship they're happy, it doesn't necessarily need to be another bunny.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr Confetti posted:

Hey guys! Finally managed to sex Thumper. Female dwarf. Please don't think any less of me :ohdear:

It's not "think less", it's more "pity". Female dwarves are adorable little hellspawn.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bean posted:

On the topic of cats and bunnies, Pepper gets along great with the cats, but the cats don't like her. They don't understand that when Pepper comes charging at them at top speed that she's saying hello in her little paycho way. Both cats work pretty hard to avoid her, they won't even go in her room unless a human is around, and even then they act like they're marching to their death.

Pepper is, for the record, a female dwarf.

(If you know how to make them get along better, I'd love to hear it.)

Chasing is a dominance thing. Once Pepper figures she's made her point she'll stop. If you want to try, put bunny + cat/cats in a room where none can escape.

Just make sure that you can intervene quickly if the cats get mad and start swatting at her.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bean posted:

What's funny is that Pepper, dick that she is, is very sweet to humans. She always wants pettings and attention and is as tolerant of being picked up as a rabbit's going to be. She's even nice to the vet. It's just non-human creatures that can go gently caress themselves.

Well, yeah. All the humans already know she's in charge.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The paragraph about rabbits bullying guinea pigs is hysterical. I have no doubt my rear end in a top hat bunnies would terrorize any pig in their enclosure.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=....50165853,d.eWU

Oh come on, most of that list was just bunnies humping things. Where's "waking up at 3am and finding your bunny sitting literally inches from your face, watching you sleep"?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The funny thing about this picture is that like half the questions are really easy to answer. Rabbits pee on your bed because it smells like you, you can't hold it because they have powerful back legs and sharp claws and don't really like being held, it eats coroplast because if it didn't it would die, and so forth.

Coroplast is the plastic used for signs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

To be honest that's really not that uncommon. If a rabbit came from a mill or hasn't really been around other rabbits they may not socialize well without some effort on your part. Really doesn't make much of a difference about how good of a pet they'll make.

When I had rabbits with my ex we had a male Dutch and a female French Harlequin, and they straight up hated each other for almost three years. Like chasing, biting, growling, fur ripping, terrible smells, the whole deal. They had cages close to each other but weren't allowed out at the same time.

One day they just decided to start getting along and are now bonded.

Bunnies are mysterious little creatures.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah, who knows. Maybe your face is saltier. Trying to figure out bunny behaviour can lead to madness.

Your fluffball is adorable, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Karandras posted:

Waking up in the morning and seeing a shoebox full of hay just inside a litter tray for no reason. Whyyyyyy rabbit, whyyyyy.

Being able to sit in their litter boxes and eat is pretty well bunny heaven.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Condolences for your loss. Sucks they went so close together

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Try laying on the floor.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can also try putting a towel in your lap when you do the above. Quick clean up for pee or to use as a bunny burrito wrapping if they don't want to play along.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

haha the remote. Sascha once bit every button off the remote and left the little pieces next to it.

It made it hard to use with recessed buttons instead of ones that stuck out.

My Dutch chewed off all the buttons for our satellite remote. The problem? All the labels were on the buttons.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

No, that's bad. Very, very bad. Go to vet ASAP.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yeah, bunnies don't really "get" punishment. If you don't want them doing something you have to change the environment to prevent them from doing so - ie. store your Xbox controllers somewhere else.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Considering what happened to George you have every right to be paranoid. However, 18 inches shouldn't be any concern. You can put a nice soft area rug down where she jumps if it will make you feel better, but she'll likely just pee all over it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

I just saw this on the front page of YouTube. That bunny screaming sound is surprisingly cute.

Seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you? Edit the video out of your post.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hana Dammit posted:

Rabbit Lovers Do Not Enjoy Video of Baby Rabbit's Death, story at 11.

Here is a nice video of a rabbit making hella noises and not because he's been condemned to be raptor dinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UQdeJ7qzyg

VVVVV haha yes Butter does this. He doesn't grunt really tho, its more of a growl and he also punches with his sharp little feet. So demanding!

My rabbits never grunted or thumped at us if we weren't petting them enough, but I woke up from a nap once to find one of my rabbits had shoved his head under my outstretched hand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Hello Bunny thread. I have a quick question.

Yesterday we had to put to have one of our two wonderful bunnies put to sleep. They were bonded and lived together in a cage.

Should I expect the remaining bunny to go through any sort of behavioural change now that she is alone? I feel like I am probably projecting my feelings on her thinking that she will be lonely, but I don't want her to be bored either. She's never been interested in toys, but she loves renovating cardboard houses.

I am really not ready to go out and adopt a new bunny but if she will be missing the companionship and it will enrich her life (and possibly the life of another bunny that needs a home) than that is something I could see doing down the line.

Has anyone been in this situation that could share their experiences?

Yes, she will definitely grieve. In situations like this the standard practice is to place the dead partner in the pen with the live rabbit for a few hours so that she knows that he's dead and won't go looking for him.

As for companionship, yes, she'll miss it. She'll probably be more affectionate for a while but in the long run it would be better if you could find another rabbit to bond her to.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's too late, you've already hurt my very sensitive rabbit owner feelings, now I must retreat to the hugbox.

I had said that Ella does not box. She also only makes noise when she's annoyed or pissed. Ella blitzes around the patio with Stanley, and will sometimes 'strafe' or otherwise pester Stan if the cat's ignoring her.

This sounds like perfectly normal play behaviour to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

God, locked in a bathroom to starve to death? What the hell is wrong with people.

I'm glad he was rescued and is doing better. Simba is adorably goofy looking.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

My dad needs to be stopped from feeding Ella her favorite treat, Snyders Pretzels. She's supposed to get a bit the size of the end of your thumb, and that's even a big treat. Dad will give her as much as she demands if I'm not around x.x The rabbit also hangs around him a lot when he's on the patio, as he is 'The Treat Man that rarely picks me up, never tells me what to do, and is suspiciously absent whenever I need my nails trimmed or butt washed or vet trips, thus making him completely unassociated with any of those bad things', and thus, favorite human.

She's fine, by the way, after her encounter with the door. Eating hay, which i'm always please about with her. I've also sprouted some wheatgrass! The whole family can enjoy that as a nutritious boost.

Bunnies have surprisingly thick skulls. Partially makes up for them being so stupid

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Karandras posted:

This is the greatest look of betrayal

He is going to eat and pee on everything you love. Not necessarily in that order.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Keep an eye on it. If she starts favoring the paw or there's any swelling or discharge you should take her in.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This thread turned really weird, really fast.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

One of my old rabbits would constantly try and get out of his cage. 90% of the time we'd wake up the next morning with him grunting and digging to get back in because he was hungry/thirsty and the other 10% of the time we'd wake up in the middle of the night to him clawing at the bedroom door for attention.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

What is it with everyone's bunnies suddenly dying? God, now I *really* miss mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cut some of his food very small, leave some a bit larger. Good test to see if his incisors are bothering him.