Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

happyflurple posted:

Also I want a giant bunny.

Giant bunnies are great. These guys are 9 weeks old and total sweethearts. Also, obviously they love their box more than anything because rabbit.

E: They are Flemish Giants.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

An important message from a Flemmie:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Bunny folk, one of my buns has been sneezing quite a bit (more than 1-2x in a row) but otherwise seems ok. Her sister is not sneezing at all. Nose is dry, no discharge from nose or eyes, and it's usually after I give her some fresh hay. Is this a dust issue? Something scarier? (I'm allergic to dust myself and usually start sneezing around the same hay morsels as my bun, so I might be reading a false positive.)

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Hana Dammit posted:

very cunningly I got my friend to carry him for a bit

He and Butter will be moving in together in December when BFF and I move to the bay, can anyone give me some tips for bonding two (neutered) male rabbits?

That's awesome! He's super cute. How did he like being carried that far?

Also if you mean the SF Bay, a premature welcome out here. There are a lot of bun things here (HRS is headquartered in Richmond!) and it is a swell place to be.

In other news, the flemmies are getting old enough to sample veggies:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Silverfish posted:

I wish Mr Bun wouldn't sleep like this, it's really alarming.

He is a super cutie!

Bun people: thoughts on pet insurance?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Lobsterboy posted:

Thats adorable. Also explains why my bunny tried to eat my book. :argh:

Yeah, mine decided that interdisciplinary studies are more delicious than thermodynamics. Can't say I disagree.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

One of mine did a dramatic preparatory yawn and stretch before rocketing out and binkying like a crazy person the other day. Usually I just get the four identical little paws beating on the door when they hear me coming. Being locked up for 7 hours is apparently tough livin'. :3:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Honestly, if we could get a sturdier and more consistently empathetic breed of rabbit, they would make the best emotional service animals.

I've had a few people mention they've encountered Flemmies at hospitals as therapy rabbits...it's a really interesting idea.

Grace Hopper was a little disgruntled at being physical support for her sister this morning:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

kells posted:

Aww Lily :3:

So dignified!!

Buns came back from buncation today (I was at a conference for 6 days). The bunny sitter told me one hopped the short fence (which I was expecting, ha!) and hopped over to her and proceeded to lick her ankles while she was vacuuming. Good socialized buns!

Quick question to anyone with big bunnies or big bunny experience: when did yours get fixed? I want to spay ours as early once they start getting hormonal as is safe without seriously stunting their growth or anything like that.

And to pay the picture toll, here they are with their first carrier (they have a bigger one now):

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

edit: drat photo posting problems.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

This thread needs more buns.

We "dressed" the flems up as giant rabbity invaders who crushed a tiny town (supervised) for Halloween. We let them gnaw on a brussels sprout stalk "tree" as a treat and got a lot of delighted trick or treaters. They just flopped down and ate hay most of the time, so yay buns.

Coincidentally, they are getting spayed on Thursday. Glad to hear Gracie's spay went well!

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Karandras posted:

angry, long-eared and wingless horned owl

This is the best picture. Did he think his face was delicious at least?

Condolences to all the folks who lost a bun. :( The Flems send identical bun hugs in their puddly-old-man guises.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Additional holiday bunny likes pears:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Bunny folks,

Apologies if this is detailed upthread, but I was hoping to solicit some nail trimming advice from more experienced people. Specifically, does anyone have a good rule of thumb on nail length?

I went to go do a nail trim and wasn't sure if I need to -- curious whether this is a situation where I let the quick get too long or if her nails are alright at this length (next to the thumb):

Here's what it looks like without me holding her fur away:

And here is cuteness as a thank you:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Oh, I realize it. She even switched the keyboard to Dvorak, and her sister promptly started chewing on the lid. With buns this size I'm second guessing my deep conviction that rabbits cannot chew through metal.

My response was to give them a pair of pants to eat. I give it a week until they are done.

Edit: and yeah, they're 7 months old. They will keep growing for another 5 months or so.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

sirnollem posted:

Power outage question.
The power has been out here for about 15 hours and it is getting cold in the house. How cold is too cold for the bunny? The house normally stays at 68 all the time in the winter but the low outside is in the 20s. We are currently at 59 in the house and wondering when it becomes too cold for him. He is still hoping around, eating and using the litter box like normal. When should I start to worry and find someone to take him in?

Outing myself, though you've probably figured this out...due to a variety of complications, our buns are outside temporarily. I was super worried about them when it started getting cold (30s overnight) and was in the process of getting them inside...but despite blankets, extra hay, and other warmth, they were both just completely bunny flopped in the coldest part of their space and have continued to behave that way. So, anecdotally, I think a cold house is fine -- I'm much more worried about heat with ours.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

grack posted:

Enjoy waking up with a bunny about an inch from your face making little funny squeaking and humming noises.

Omg this. I brought the Flems in for rain a couple nights ago and it was full on Bun-orchestra. In exchange, I got a video of them tooth purring. HA!

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Upside down bun:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Condolences for Sonda. :(

In silly bunny news, advantage # 43 of having a rabbit, in conversation form:
Insurance policy agent: "Do you have a dog?"
Me: "No.*"
Insurance policy agent: "Great, then you don't have to pay a pet damage premium."

*However, I did meet several dogs just this week that are smaller than either of my buns, and I'm not actually kidding when I say I'm going to give the buns a wicker chair as a snack.

Fake edit: also, congrats on the baby, pseudonordic! Am I interpreting that picture correctly?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

:3: The Dude and Charley/ie.

Pic of the day: Bun vs Cabbage.

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 18, 2014

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

The flemmies have finally transitioned to full-time inside life since we bought them a house. They seem to like it so far:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Bun lady adopted my shoes as friends. She separated them and laid down between them, and now she and her sister take turns grooming the shoes.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Ours take turns liking us, which means there's usually one bun who is willing to play or take pets. Double the fun?

Also, flop on camera at last:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

We have had some success with a plastic slinky with one end wrapped around a NIC square or a stick or something to anchor it and let it dangle. It's pretty hilarious when they play with it, but they (obviously?) like playing with their cardboard better.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

We use Yesterday's News (at that price) and scoop it. Our ladies only really use one corner as well, so we tend to bank the litter in that corner and then scoop / shake the box about every day. I find that putting any rejected hay in that section helps with poo capture as well.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Flemmies with delicious books and bookshelves:

Evidence of flemmies' preferred snacks:

Gotta say, the toilet pipe connector was a surprise. I will be more concerned about their mouth strength next time they remove my glasses from my face and throw them.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

I think you just wrote Buns: The Graphic Novel.

Fanfic of said novel from Flemmie-land: today we go to feed the flems and one doesn't start running around like a deflating balloon when she hears the pellets. This is worrisome. She perked up and started eating again an hour later or so, but there was definitely a "I just picked up this rabbit and she didn't seriously harm me. She must be dying." moment.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

I have the pleasure of a short-term foster of these lovely ladies..so there are four flemmies in my house right now.

Temporary setup -- I moved them to behind a door real quick. Buns do not like other buns.

Cuddling.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Those of you who have built your own cage, how do you latch your cage shut? I built the cage out of nic cubes, but don't really have anything to keep it shut while I'm gone, so I usually just zip tie the last square shut for the day while I'm at work and cut it open when I get home.

Either those clips like you would see at the end of a leash or a binder ring work well enough, though your bun size tolerance is likely smaller than mine.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

^^that shelter actually has 4 adoptable flems right now (plus tank!)--bonded sisters and (I think) a brother/sister pair that has been separated. For anyone in the Bay Area :)

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

THE RABBIT HAS LEARNED TO KNOCK ON THE DOOR LIKE THE CAT TO BE LET IN FROM THE PATIO

THIS IS NOT A TEST THE LAPINE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN

Why yes my cats have a special knock. Ella has learned Stanleys, whick is one loud knock on the far screen. Zoe is a quick pawing on the near door. The question is, why dont your animals knock?

agree on the revolution. ours learned two new tricks yesterday after months in this house: 1) climbing onto a shelf to steal the flower in a vase and eat it and 2) cross the Moste Terrible Threshold and go out the back door

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Harriet wants me to stop drinking so much.

Nah dude she wants you to share

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

It can be kind of annoying if you're used to driving grueling days, but ours benefited from our stopping every 2-3 hours to let them come out of their semi-catatonic driving state to drink and eat a little. About 15 minutes per 2-3 hours seems enough, more if t aren't consuming food and water.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Caption contest:

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Flemmies are exhausted from eating spring.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Wormy posted:

We might be getting a second rabbit as soon as tomorrow, depending on whether or not our current bun Seras takes a liking to him (or at least doesn't try to fight him). He's a 1 year old neutered flemish giant, Seras is a 4 year old spayed Rex.

My question is about the giant's diet...everything I've read says rabbits should have pellets, but when I got Seras 3.5 years ago the vet said they weren't necessary for her. So she's been perfectly fine with lots of Timothy hay and daily greens, no health problems at all. But are giant breeds different as far as diet? Just want to make sure he gets all the nutrition he needs for a long and happy life. :-)

Oh and any other advice on flemish giants would also be appreciated!

Giants are amazing! Phone posting, but I have 2 -- we give them 1/2 cup of oxbow pellets each daily since they do eat *a lot,* but out get has occasionally recommended that they eat an all-hay diet for a few days after e.g. Surgeries. I'd talk to a vet about not feeding pellets at all -- also be aware that they can Hoover like 4-6 cups of greens a day each (and ours are relatively small -- 13 and 14 lbs). Good luck with your giant! Can answer other questions if you have 'em.

ETA: we also started giving them glucosamine joint support hay tabs (also oxbow) at about 1 year -- they're big buns with a breed tendency to some joint issues, and they really like the hay tabs. Got that tip from other flemmie owners.

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2016

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

We just treated one of the Flems for conjunctivitis -- similar situation, one eye was a little red and puffy with some pus (we didn't see watery discharge) -- went away with some gel the vet gave us within 3-4 days and she seemed fine the whole time. The tip our vet gave was, if there's watery discharge that's spilling over the edge of the eye because of pooling, he'd want to check for a blocked tear duct. But overall the vet didn't seem too fussed about IMMEDIATE TREATMENT for the eye infection (I had called to ask if it was an emergency about a week earlier) the way it usually goes with buns. Good luck with Chompsky!

Also -- hey Wormy -- did you get the flem?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

The Walrus posted:

gracie keeps falling over cause she tries to support herself with her cancer leg. its really sad but also kind of funny because whenever it happens little poop pellets just go flying everywhere.

poor girl, sounds like she's doing pretty well, all things considered, though! good work and good luck.

i sympathize on the sad/funny--we've got one whose back leg muscles have atrophied quite a bit who trips a lot. she solves the problem of grooming her back by curling up into improbably tight loops and using the wall or her litter box or whatever to hold her in place--sometimes she's not as close to the support wall as she thinks she is and then she ends up rotating in circles for a minute and skittering turds around.

e: pictorial content

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 5, 2018

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

We cover him each night. He's fine until about 6 am, and then he turns into a monster until he gets breakfast.

I think it's due to the fact that that's usually when I get up during the week, and he's expecting it, so on weekends when we sleep in a little more, he gets pissed that he hasn't been fed.

We ended up getting auto feeders for ours (for pellets) for an overnight trip and have kept using them. It significantly cuts down the morning ruckus and means we don’t have to rush home to feed them. They’re still happy to see us because we are still the source of greens and treats.

How big is Carrots? For the feeders we have, the big disadvantage is that the smallest increment of food is 1/4 cup. We have 3 flemmies who are all around 12 lb so it’s not an issue, but it might not work for small buns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

you can never have enough toilet hay when you have three rabbits

preach.

content (this is two of said three rabs):