Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my dumb idiot broke his leg (probably) tripping while trying to jump out of a box yesterday. he doesn't seem to be in much pain although it's hard to tell with rabbits. he'll put pressure on the leg while he's standing still or bending odown to drink/eat but otherwise he's keeping it up off the ground. i'm trying to take him to the vet but he refuses to let us put him in a carrier. it's hard normally, it's IMPOSSIBLE with him hurt like this

do you think a vet would be annoyed if i show up with him in his litter box and the whole thing is inside a laundry basket like a russian stacking doll of rabbit accessories

it might not be broken, he had his nails clipped yesterday so it could be anything from the nails being clipped too short to a sprain or a break or anything in between

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
he's uh...weird. can't really pick him up, even the vet needs like three techs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
due to some trauma before we adopted him he is extremely angry if his freedom is restricted, so like a carrier or blocking off a room. he's gotten better about the latter but it's hard to get him into a carrier. he doesn't like being picked up either, and with his leg weird i don't want to accidentally hurt him

that being said he's also extremely affectionate which is a weird combo with anger. he's basically a dog, he'll come up to us and ram our legs if he wants us to pet him, he'll curl up between us on the couch if we're watching stuff, he runs circles around me in the kitchen when i'm preparing his dinner.

right now he's under our bed and hasn't moved for a few hours, he'll move eventually but until then i just have to wait him out.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Ended up taking my bed apart and slowly getting him into his litter box, which i then put in my laundry basket and put a blanket over it before whisking him off to the vet. twelve hours and $600 later:

Rabbit update: leg isn’t broken, a LOT of soft tissue and muscle swelling. They’re not 100% sure why. He has some painkillers and anti-inflammatory stuff to take. Very sluggish in general which isn’t surprising. Had to mix in his medicine with apple sauce and even with the apple sauce he’s not eating a ton of it immediately like he always does, which is my clue that he REALLY doesn’t feel good. He’s better today though, luckily.

This was a good lesson in why pet insurance is important, I’ve spent like 1100+ on him for the last two days.

He’s still very drowsy and exhausted. but as cute as always, look at his dumb ears.

i also built him a dig box which should make him happier and will make him stop destroying my carpet but i'll have to wait until he's feeling better for him to really enjoy it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
he's doing significantly better today than he was yesterday although he's annoyed that he can't jump on the couch or bed or anything right now. i'm just glad it's not something like arthritis or anything, he's very independent and a loss of control like that would probably depress him. if he's still angry about the bed in a day or two i'll probably get a ramp for him, we had one for our dog when she started getting older for the same reason, it would probably help him out.

i'm glad it's his front leg, his back would be a lot worse.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Normally he has a two level cage but I rearranged it down to a single story for him now so he doesn't hurt himself going up and down, so I can always use THAT ramp to get him up onto the couch. Ideally I'd like to just discourage him getting up there entirely. Apparently the "getting up" isn't the problem so much as "getting down" because he'll just hurt his foot going down and landing on it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
not sure where else to post this, this was my birthday gift for my fiancee and she loved it. it's so dumb but it's great

phone posting, idk why it's sideways like that but i can't change it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yes thank you

But yeah I like it a lot, she got his ears perfectly. I’m going to hang it above his cage once I put the second story back on it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve heard that some people give their rabbits wheatgrass as a snack for them to nibble on but if I get Ajax a little carton of it he will not leave it alone until he’s gnawed the entire thing down to the roots, he always eats the entire thing in one sitting

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Every time I tell my vet about various behavior she’s like “that’s not what rabbits are supposed to do”. I swear we have a dog. He jumps on the bed to lick my face to wake me up, he curls up on the couch when we watch TV, he’s learned his name and will come when I call him, if you’re petting him and he doesn’t like it he’ll put his paw on your hand to make you stop. I’m fairly sure I could teach him to play fetch if I tried hard enough.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's funny to me that i originally wasn't super on board about getting a rabbit because i assumed they would just be boring and now im at the "i would die for you" stage

he's just so loving cute i can't

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

it's perfect

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
A lot of the time they don’t actually ingest what they bite off, they’re trying to get through it not eat it. There’s a theory that they see it as a root and they want to break roots to get past them, but idk. One of my coax cables is also hosed but it’s fine.

She’s probably fine, if she stops eating keep an eye on her. Take her litter box out more frequently so you can monitor poop more closely.

Also get some cord covers, they’re like $2 at Home Depot and will save you a lot of trouble.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uVFhy3XIxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYnZOWGIvXw

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
my gut reaction was it's a response to losing vision on the left side of her head so she's compensating by trying to make that side of her body smaller but i have nothing to back that up with

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Looks like Ajax’s eye started watering again. He probably scratched it on some hay or something, hopefully it’s an easy fix like last time. They said his tear duct was ruptured last time so either it’s watering uncontrollably or it’s watering when it’s not supposed to, that sounds like an injury that probably won’t fix itself. Might just have to be on eye cleaning duty again until it heals.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Update: he's fine, he probably had hay fall into his eye or something. I did get confirmation from the vet that his tear duct is basically hosed up, it probably happened years ago. Basically the tear duct on his right eye doesn't work so it doesn't drain right so instead of going through their nose it just goes down the side so he looks like he's crying. Luckily he's really chill with me cleaning it, I just use Q Tips and he's good to go in like two minutes. It looks a lot better today. Usually the only problem is that he can get a rash if it happens and I don't notice and clean his skin so his skin gets irritated, but his eye's fine.

He also discovered recently he can jump directly up onto our desks, which is not good. Luckily, though, I found out that he doesn't know what to do if I try and pick him up if he's on the desk so he just lets me. So now if he jumps up I just grab him. Either he'll stop jumping up or I get to cuddle with him for once, either way it's a win for me.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
god she's so FLUFFY

did she have surgery or something recently? Fur's looking thinner on her back half.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
aw look at the little trooper

she'll learn to do it with her front paw, i'm sure

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm surprised you were able to take her home nine days after her getting spayed, it took my guy like a month after getting neutered before he was good to go. he was older, though, that might be why.

apparently he's 5ish but everyone that sees him, including vets, are always shocked to hear that and assume he's like 2.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/grannicks-bitter-apple

Get this, it's excellent. Smells like rubbing alcohol, tastes like bitter apples, it's perfectly safe to ingest. They hate it and will immediately stop. Whenever Ajax goes for the carpet somewhere I just clap at him to make him look up at me and then I spray the carpet while he's preoccupied, and then he loses interest. I think he knows what I'm doing, too, and he gets mad at me once he can't bite the carpet there anymore. But it's saved our carpet.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Got Ajax back from the vet today after boarding him for a week or so for a vacation. Apparently he's made friends with one vet tech and they let him run around the office without having to stay in his cage, as long as that vet is there. Apparently she's the only one he likes and no one else has managed to actually pet him. I think they're scared of him, despite him never having bitten anyone (or me, really).

He got back to the apartment and ran in circles around it for like 30 minutes until he collapsed under the bed and took a nap. He's glad to be home. :3

Also, re: free roaming, I agree with 100% pee/90% poop. The bigger issue is really just waiting for him to get into something that I don't want him to get into, or trying to eat a cord or something. For the most part he's great, pee/poop is never the real issue. Plus rabbit poop is basically dirt and dust, it's like the least offensive poop of any animal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My fiancée’s coworker has a rabbit and apparently she can put a leash on him and walk him around and takes him to the beach and stuff.

If I tried to put a leash on Ajax he would 100% attack me

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i've learned over the last year that he's EXTREMELY chill unless you try and restrict him in some way, at which point he becomes a terror

he's basically a lap dog now, he's started laying on my chest if i lay down on the sofa and play video games :3:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i thought you weren't supposed to give rabbits baths because their fur doesn't have a good time with water

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
understandable

is the water lukewarm? I have to clean off ajax's eyes a few times a week because he's got permanent weepy eye for some reason and if the water is cold he absolutely hates it but if it's room temperature he's mostly okay with it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Remora posted:

excuse me can these battleships be sent elsewhere in the country tia

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/606479787334172676/673051916967870465/video0.mov

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
uh it seems to want to download it for some reason instead of just opening it. ill just put it on youtube, hang on

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvYD3Khzsk

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Poor baby

She’s perfect in her own way

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

That reminds me I took a cute video the other day, this is often the first thing I do when I wake up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPghTPVtF0k

(sorry, portrait mode I know!)

It's amazing to me when rabbits are that calm when you do that, Ajax is a bat out of hell the second I put food near my bed. I'll have to take a video later.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I finally managed to capture video of what Ajax does when I shake his treats at him.

This will continue until the end of time unless I just give him the banana, he does not tire and he does not forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys3ibiK2_Qo

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My rabbit’s completely free roaming and it’s never been an issue but I don’t live in a dorm and also I’ve learned to keep everything bad out of the way from losing several things

Make sure there are no exposed cables he can eat, because he probably will. Or food, or anything bad. My idiot ate an entire candle in about 30 seconds, nothing is safe.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I dropped a shrimp next to him yesterday while cooking dinner and I was amazed that he ignored it. I know they’re herbivores but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just don't understand why it's necessary in the first place. Fill that poo poo with hay and I guarantee they'll still mainly eat the hay from the feeder.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

It’s Easter and he hates when we do this but he dutifully let us take a picture.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have absolutely no idea why he keeps trying to dig in my kitchen. We’ve tried everything but he won’t stop. I don’t want to fence my kitchen off, but I will

He has a dig box but he’s been using it less and less and has turned his attention to the kitchen floor. It’s linoleum so he won’t get through it but it’s still loud and annoying and we’re stuck inside with him.

I've tried spraying it with bitter apple and it works for a bit but he's not licking it he's just digging so it's a problem still. I have a big tile sample that I covered the spot with but now he's digging onto that instead, but I don't want him to hurt himself on it. Now when he digs into it he licks his paws so I'm wondering if he's hurting his claws or something. Then again I guess if he hurts himself with it enough he'll just stop.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just use carefresh with hay on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7AQGHC9dvI

He found out that he can jump off the couch onto his cage where we keep his food so this has been my life recently.

I have blankets up there so he won't get his feet caught and I know at this point the only way to stop him is to let him just get bored with it so I'm not really going to do anything about it, he's only really at risk if he jumps off onto the cage door but every time I've seen him do it he jumps off to the left or back onto the couch so it's probably fine.