Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I have a house bun I've had for about a year now. He has a cage that's like his castle and he hangs out there but also has a ton of rooms he can be in when I'm home. And the funniest thing is that he absolutely HATES when I clean his cage. He won't use it for hours after it's cleaned because I guess it's unfamiliar smells? So I've started saving back some of the gross used bedding to scatter on top so he'll actually use it again. Rabbits are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

It's finally that time of year I can start picking fresh clover for my bunny :3: It's his favorite, he inhales it lol.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Got a new phone with a better camera, so what better way to test it?

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Quick bunny question: my friend has a rescue rabbit, adult fixed female. For some reason (I'm assuming bc never trained?) it just poops/pees wherever it wants, including on her lap when it's just chilling. Is there any way to train that out or is she just stuck with uh oh stinky now?

E: It uses the litterbox when it's in the kennel/cage but once she's out freeroaming it's just a free for all fsr.

I got lucky, my bun has never even attempted to pee or poop outside his bedding so I don't really know where you'd start with that.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I feel so lucky in comparison, never trained mine but he just only goes in the bedding.... He'll even run back when he's roaming to go poop/pee in there. But he's also way younger, like 2 years vs my friend's 6~ year old female bun. Most of the scatter is him sprinting out of his cage (that's never closed, it's more like a safe zone for him I guess).

I'll pass along the suggestion of checking in with the rescue. Her bun also pees on anything "soft" like pillows/couch but not the hardwood. And poops just anywhere.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I sent my friend the post, thank you! We don't think it's necessarily nervousness because the bunny chooses to hop up and get in my friend's lap without any urging, but then pees/poops anyways. She's going to check in with a vet and see if there's any underlying spinal or parasitical/incontinence issues there.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

D34THROW posted:

Female buns can also be very territorial and buns piss and poo poo to mark territory. A backhanded compliment of sorts, perhaps :v:

This honestly wouldn't surprise me, her bunny is SUPER headstrong and likes to be in charge lol. Like literally growls if she's not being pet or given treats when she wants them. I've never met a rabbit like them before. My dude is just very shy and skittish and hers is like, grabbing people's hands and tossing everything to the side. Still seems to really like people - sits by your feet, climbs into laps for cuddles etc but just....aggro about it haha.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Every time I bring the hay over he stands directly under it so I have to pet it off him. :3:

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Happy Easter! Which is every rabbit's birthday probably. Happy birthday every rabbit.

https://i.imgur.com/ng1VvT7.mp4

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

How do I convince members of my family to not constantly feed my rabbit fruit and sweets? Kind of a low key vent too, but I live with family and they don't seem to take it seriously when I tell them a slice of dried apple to him is like 2 or 3 apples to us and can make him sick. "But he likes it!" "It's the only treat he takes out of my hand" are the responses I get. For now he's doing okay but I'm concerned about this becoming a longterm issue. Would it be a dick move to just hide those treats so I can monitor his intake better? Or at least try and get some dried veggies instead of pure sugar.

For the record my lil dude is a 4 pound dutch who's not gonna get any bigger according to the vet, so an extra 3 or 4 pieces of fruit feels like a big deal to me. :/

Also best wishes for Bert, I hope he's feeling better soon. :(

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Vet says everything looks good right now last time I was there (about a month ago). He's very young so that probably helps, only about a year and a half old.

His poops look okay as well.

I guess I'm more annoyed with potential longterm harm than current / bad habits >_< But he's alright for now at least.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Bunny tax now that I think the issue is resolved for now. After talking to my family a bit more about it, they've agreed to stop feeding just fruit and mix it up with clover, greens etc so it's not just that.

https://i.imgur.com/26H7ag3.mp4

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

My condolences for Dajour :(

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I feel very lucky with my bun. I never really had to litter train him, he just naturally prefers to go on bedding. On the other hand he's VERY timid... I wonder if there's a way to get him out of his shell a little. He doesn't mind (read: tolerates) handling and being held and petted on, just annoyed leg flicks after I put him down, but he doesn't really seem to actively seek out people at all. Is there a way to get a bunny to want to hang out with you? Do I smell bad or something?

That being said aside from that he's doing great. About 2 years old now and loves tossing stuff around in the middle of the night and running so fast on the tile he slides and bonks into the door.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

RichterIX posted:

I would try to avoid holding him for a while if you can-- he will probably be more likely to seek you out for pets if he doesn't think there's a good chance he's going to get picked up, they really hate it

Thanks for the advice, sadly it's the easiest way to trim his nails though. :( Otherwise on the ground he'll scramble away but being held (on my lap, not high up) he stays still.

It sucks cuz I know it's a panic response but I'm not sure there's a better way to handle nail trims. He still takes treats immediately after so I was assuming it didn't bother him that much, ugh.

---

Also I'm so sorry about Delilah, RFC.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

My bun loves his pre-Christmas gift (wrapping paper tube with hay in the middle) :3:

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Kind of a weird bunny question but....

I had to move out suddenly from my parents' place to somewhere very far away with roommates. Both of my roommates' dogs cannot be trusted around rabbits / smaller pets and one even broke a door of the hinges when my roommates tried to keep a stray cat for a few days to find the owner. So my rabbit is with my family, but there's a potential I may not be able to actually move and take the bunny for another year or two.

What would you do? Part of me is like, I obviously want to keep my rabbit but I also don't want to force people to take care of a pet they didn't ask for that long - at that point they're essentially the new owners which I think is unfair to them. Should I start looking at rehoming them, taking them to a rescue or something or just wait it out?

This whole situation has me worried sick, I already had to rehome my pet pigeons because of this move and I've been stressing over the rabbit ever since. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Ok Comboomer posted:

How often can you go home? Can you reasonably come back and do a weekly cage clean/etc?

Can’t you find a different living arrangement?

I can come back about once a month and I can't do a different living arrangement. :x

Maybe I really should look at rehoming, I don't want to but....yeah this setup sucks.