Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How worried should we be about sudden onset but frequent sneezing. I've never heard my girlfriend's dwarf lop sneeze, but this afternoon she's been sneezing a bunch. Granted, I have been sneezing a bunch too due to the sudden appearance of fall weather here. No changes that I can see in her appetite or anything, and of course googling it brings up all the worst case scenarios.

I think the girlfriend is going to take her to the vet tomorrow in case it's snuffles, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone had a similar experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

grack posted:

Check for green mucus because that could be a sinus infection.

Otherwise it could just be dust, weather, or your bunny being really stupid and trying to inhale hay.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out! She came from the humane society and she's only been at my girlfriend's house for about 3 weeks so we don't have a good baseline for what passes for normal behavior, besides flopping over in weird positions and looking dead.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Our rabbit turned out to have a sinus infection so she's on antibiotics. Giving liquid medicine to a rabbit sure is fun. She's been mostly okay with it but this morning she decided to explode into a whirling dervish of claws and now she's sitting across the room staring at us with hate-filled eyes.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
We've had our rabbit we got from the humane society for a couple months now, and she seems to have warmed up to us. Is it normal for her to stand completely stock still when she's being petted? She'll come and headbutt me if I'm sitting on the floor, and if I scratch her head she will sit there perfectly still until I stop, no matter what. I would assume she would just bounce away if I was bothering her, but she's so still that I am worried that I am terrifying her.

Hilariously, she will only chew on toys if no one is watching her. We bought her some wicker barbells and she would sniff them and then ignore them. Then when we turn our backs, when we turn back around it's in a million pieces all over the floor.

This is in stark contrast to when the Wii U sensor bar cord worked its way out of its hiding place and she severed it in one bite while making unwavering eye contact with me.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is buying things like hay and litter any cheaper from any online sources than it is at, say, Petco? Are there any brands to avoid?

bunnyofdoom posted:

So who else loves hand feeding their bunny leafy greens?

Ours sucks up parsley like spaghetti.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If we are posting bunny pictures, this is Lillian:

We got her from the local humane society. She's very chill, although she is very adept at snipping Wii sensor bar cords and sometimes she gets too buck and tries to parkour onto high furniture like the top of the bookshelf.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Our rabbit will only play with toys when no one is looking. We leave them lying around for her perusal, but she will rarely do more than nudge one with her nose and then move on.

However, if we leave them in her cage while we are gone, we will usually return to find the toy (usually wicker) in pieces all over the drat place

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
We cooked something with a lot of garlic for dinner and our rabbit responded by slinking around the house nervously and then hiding in her cage. Do rabbits generally hate cooking smells?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

grack posted:

Depends on the rabbit.

Maybe she thinks you're going to cook her.

I still might if she doesn't stop trying to get behind the couch.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, they avoid being picked off by predators as weak by hiding sickness and injury, so don't necessarily take acting "normal" as a sign that nothing's seriously wrong.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

The Veler posted:

Based on the photo, what do you think could be wrong?

Sorry, I'm not a vet, wish I could help though :-( I'm actually having kind of a hard time even telling what is going on in that picture exactly. Did she rip a nail off and then the wound got infected?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've grown up with dogs so I'm no stranger to animals acting like you haven't fed them in three years every single time you feed them, but does anyone else's rabbit get way too buck when it's feeding time? Our bun never escapes her cage EXCEPT if you walk within 5 feet of her with lettuce, at which point she either violently careens off the sides of her pen or leaps out of her 5ft tall pen in a single bound and then acts really confused about how she ended up locked out of her own house.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The funny thing is I'm usually approaching her cage with lettuce to give it to her, she just can't wait and goes absolutely apeshit. She has constant access to hay, I just think she gets too excited and has to go bouncing off the walls. The other funny thing is I can take food straight out of her mouth with no reprisal, so she's not super defensive about her food or anything.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Double post but here is Lillian probably plotting to chew on something expensive or irreplaceable.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bitchymcjones posted:

Yeah, that’s where he’s been for the last couple weeks while we’re home. I’m not worried that he got out, he was throwing himself against the bars pretty violently. He’s still cowering in his smaller cage with his eyes super wide. Is there anything I can do for him?

Edit: Goddammit, while I was sitting with the dogs in the other room my husband took Buntolo out of the cage. Now he has made a home in the back of the recliner. When I came out, my husband was trying to force him out. We’re leaving him alone for now and hopefully he’ll calm down. Goddammit.

Once every few weeks Lillian discovers a new annoying place to be that we hadn't thought to rabbit-proof, which then involves several days of her being freaked out and/or mad at us after we have to chase her out of there. Just part of the deal unfortunately, and one of the reasons I own so many Neat Idea Cube panels to use as makeshift bunnyblockers.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Don't beat yourself up too much, rabbits are notorious for hiding ailments until they are on death's door. Sorry to hear about your bun, I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good news :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you have someone who can help you I've had good luck clipping nails by having someone pet the bun and gradually work their hand under their front legs and lift them up so they are standing upright while someone else deals with the actual clipping. Our rabbit is surprisingly chill in this position and allows back nail clipping if we don't take toooo long.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lillian thumps when we are doing something to annoy her, which can sometimes come off as excitement because she's usually annoyed that I'm not making her food fast enough for her liking (ie: instantly and constantly)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Honking is cute but Lillian only does it when she's mad at me. She also runs at me full speed making bumblebee sounds.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Walked near the fridge but didn't come back with any vegetables

THUMP

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
$500 to the emergency vet for what is probably bunny gas! They did a bunch of tests to rule out an obstruction and sent us home with critical care and a motility drug. I'm very lucky that my wife is good at syringe feeding because I am Not Good At It.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My in-laws got us a hutch for Lillian. We live in an apartment so I was pretty excited just to give her a little vertical room besides her ex-pen while we're away (I'm going to attach the ex-pen to the hutch so she has a "front yard"), but now that I'm looking at it I worry that the upstairs floor will give her sore hocks. You can see it in the picture. Am I being overly cautious, and if not, what's something cheap and disposable that would be an adequate cover. Sea grass mats?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Dwarf lop. So far I don't have to worry about it because she refuses to go up the ramp but glad to hear it won't be a big deal.

Bonus pic

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Hmm, I think her feet are bigger than the spaces, but it sounds like it certainly wouldn't hurt anything and could only possibly help to get some mats or something. Thanks!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks, I'll venture into Walmart and see what I can find. Her ex-pen was on carpet so we haven't really had to think about her flooring before.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anybody have novel ideas for bun toys? She is singularly uninterested in anything made of twigs or wicker, doesn't care about paper towel rolls, etc. I haven't tried anything plastic yet. She is only interested in chewing on paper and people's shoes. I thought about maybe a phonebook if I can verify the ink, but I really don't want her eating a shitload of paper.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks friends! She's never seemed particularly bored until we expanded her pen and now out of either a surplus of space or a newly rekindled hatred of us for changing her surroundings she's gotten a little more destructive.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My bun freaks out less when we feed her on a steady schedule but that would involve you getting up at 4 or 5 on your late days which would suck

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, if my ex and I didn’t feed before bed somebody would kick their food dish down the ramp/stairs of their cage at like 4 am.

This reminds me, after all my worrying about covering the slats in the upstairs of Lil's new hutch, she steadfastly refuses to go up there. It doesn't really bother me other than that she could have so much more space when we aren't there if she'd just use it. Maybe I need to chop up some dill or cilantro or something else suitably fragrant and put it up there, but I'm not sure she's even smart enough to figure that out considering sometimes when I'm trying to give her a treat she starts frantically headbutting and smelling my hand trying to find the thing that is centimeters from her mouth.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The war of attrition has begun. Food and water are on the upper level of Lillian's hutch. She watched me put them up there and is now repeatedly flopping in some kind of vain attempt to show me how little she cares.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are you in the US? Fireworks had Lillian wildly vacillating between hiding from me and climbing all over me for the last 3 days.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
You guys are freaking me out because Lillian has never once pooped or peed outside of her pen (it's not always in the litter box but it's always in the pen) except for when she gets distracted by something in the middle of eating cecotropes and decides to run off and just leave it laying there which is :barf:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lillian has taken to flopping right next to me at least once a day so I dunno what horrible thing she's trying to distract me from

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Electric Bugaloo posted:

she’s loving your wife

"just gonna flop over here, nothing to see here. when are you going to work again?"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

wafflethief posted:

He also seems to have (mostly) lost his taste for USB wires.

This is a ploy don't fall for it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there anything to do for a rabbit that's scared besides leave her alone? Came home to them working on the apartment next door very noisily and boom-ily and Lillian will only sit in the corner of her pen and shake :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks guys. She has a little dark hut that she was hiding in, after the work stopped I opened her pen and she came out to hassle me for food after a half hour or so. She's acting pretty normal now.

I hope today was the only work day. If it keeps happening I might move her pen upstairs temporarily, she usually deals with changes of venue pretty well. She may get some blanket time tomorrow if it's still going on.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I was actually kind of surprised that the work next door bothered Lillian so much because she generally likes to investigate noisy things, and will generally follow the insanely loud shop vac around when we are cleaning up her pen. I think it was the booming that got to her-- I could hardly hear anything but when I sat on the floor I could feel the whole building vibrating from whatever godforsaken thing they were doing.

This morning she violently flopped in front of me so she seems to be okay at least for now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I finally ended up using both and Lillian just picks whatever she wants at the time. If I take one out she won't use the one that's left :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Speaking of which, after one whole year of ignoring the second floor of her pen (I never worked up the courage to just put her up there, the angle is awkward to try to hold her and out her in there and I was afraid she'd kick out) Lil has suddenly discovered it and has now spent all morning loudly barreling up and down the ramp.