Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Hello rabbit thread. I have a question about my rabbit that I am having a hard time finding an answer for. Over the last few days she has been leaning to her right side, and today I noticed that when she walks she has been turning her rear left foot in towards her body. She hasn’t been tilting her head and she is otherwise acting/eating normally, so I’m not sure if this is something I should be worried about.

She also has cancer and had her left eye removed earlier this month, so maybe this is just another symptom? The veterinarians couldn’t give us a lot of information with what to expect going forward.

Has anyone in this thread seen this leaning thing before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
She’s at least nine and a half years old. We adopted her that long ago and she was a stray when she was brought to the pound, but we don’t know old she really is.

She seems to be walking normally now, so it hopefully wasn’t related to her cancer. Maybe her leg fell asleep? Is that something that can happen to rabbits?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My rabbit has been struggling to get up and falling over a lot recently, so we brought her to the vet. The doctor said it was arthritis and is having her put on metacam, but wanted to do a blood test in case it was anything more serious.

It turns out she’s anemic and her kidneys are failing. So on top of having cancer and having an eye removed due to a tumor there is also this.

I have never had to have a pet put down and I have no idea how to even make that decision. Fortunately she is acting normally otherwise and seems to have responded positively to the metacam

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My wife got a leash for our rabbit years ago. She tried it once and the experience was so bad she never tried it again.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I had to give my rabbit a bath yesterday and it was unpleasant for everyone involved

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Walrus posted:

why did you have to do that?

Her back legs don’t really work anymore so she has been lying down in her litter box a lot getting dirty. Since she can’t support herself on her hind legs she also can’t groom herself anymore.

I should say her legs don’t seem to work until she’s in the sink, and then suddenly she able to launch herself out of there and kick dirty water all over the countertop

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
We don’t submerge her, we just put a little water in the bottom of the sink and rinse her off. Her vet told us to use cat shampoo.

I’d love to not have to give her baths, but I’d love even more to not have to deal with urine scald

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Here’s a video of my half lame one eyed rabbit still trying to rush over to me so I can pet her head

https://youtu.be/y_B6fMt86K8

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My rabbit has stopped walking entirely and won’t even stand up anymore. I have no idea what to do.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The vet just says it’s muscle loss and arthritis due to being elderly. We have an appointment next week for x-rays. She’s still eating and drinking and gets excited for treats, I just have to move her around otherwise she will stay in the same spot forever. It’s worrying that she isn’t changing position at all while I am asleep.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Rabbit died. RIP bunny, you’re licking the furniture in heaven now. 2010(?)-2020

She was a stray in a park in Boston and brought to a shelter where we adopted her. Hope we gave her a good life.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’d brush the rabbit if only to prevent shedding and balls of fur blowing across your floor.

If you have baseboards in the rabbit’s room keep an eye on them. When my rabbit was younger she loved to chew on those

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The latest Nature on PBS is on rabbits, including the elusive swamp rabbit

https://www.pbs.org/video/remarkable-rabbits-a2lqwt/

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
We adopted two rabbits yesterday

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Omg they’re gorgeous. Siblings?

It’s a mother and son. Right now I can only tell them apart because the son has one white paw.

This is our first time with bonded rabbits and it’s interesting. They don’t seem to demand as much attention as our previous rabbit.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
These rabbits are so quiet that it is creeping me out a little. I’ll be alone in a room doing something, and then I’ll turn around and they are suddenly both standing there staring at me.

My previous rabbit was heavy enough that I could hear her walking around, but these two are so small that they’re completely silent.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The boy rabbit is really resistant to letting anyone pet him, and if I try to pet him he will flatten his body down against the ground and crawl away. He’s really good at timing it too and can lower his body at the same rate I lower my hand, so I never actually make contact with him.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Remora posted:

A lot of rabbits don't care for body pets. This is why you pet the nose and top of head.

I always go for the head but he’s too quick. He just ducks and then crawls out of reach.

The other rabbit loves getting her head petted though, so at least I can pet one of them.

Edit: he’s not running away or thumping his feet or hiding from me, he’s just limboing under my hand when I go in for a pet. It’s annoying because every time I enter the room he runs up to me and stands up at my feet, and I want to pet that fuzzy head

Deadite fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I was eating salt and vinegar chips and one of my rabbits came up and sniffed my hand. He then turned around and ran like he’d seen a ghost. I had no idea they hated the smell of vinegar so much.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Took the rabbits outside for a brushing and was able to get a rare in-focus shot of them

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
How big is it? Can you estimate the weight?

Edit: I’d guess it’s a harlequin

Deadite fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My wife got a better flash for her camera so now our rabbits don't look like blurry blobs anymore

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
They're so frustrating to photograph. They're either blurry and too dark or you need to turn up the in-camera lighting to the point everything around the rabbit is washed out

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Is there a shortage on Critical Care? I can't find it in stock anywhere

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
My vet's office ended up having a few bags, but they said it's been hard to get ahold of lately and they were almost out of it too

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I wish I could find a vacuum attachment with a blade in it that would mulch long pieces of hay. The worst part of vacuuming up after my rabbits is stopping to unclog the vacuum hose.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

The Walrus posted:

Buy a Bissell Perfect Sweep electric sweeper. In fact, every single person in this thread who has rabbits should own one.

Months late, but I just wanted to say thank you for the recommendation. I bought one last week and have been using it every day. It's awesome at collecting hay on the ground and it's quiet enough to not disturb my rabbits.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It doesn't have any suction so it might miss the dust, but from what I've seen it picks up everything. I use it to tidy up what my rabbits drag out of their litter boxes every day, but I still use a real vacuum when I'm actually cleaning.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Halloween Jack posted:

I realized I never said what happened with Ernie. His symptoms just faded away. I got a second opinion from my regular exotic vet to be sure, but everything's been normal with him since then.

The only thing I can figure is that my rear end in a top hat neighbours set off a ton of fireworks in their backyard on July 3rd, and maybe that freaked him out real bad. Next time they do that I'll move him to a room on the other side of the house with the radio turned up. I might also ask them to stop yelling the n-word.

That's good to hear. I was interested in this because something similar happened with my rabbit a couple months ago, where she was tilting her head and only turning in one direction. We took her to the vet right away but there wasn't anything obvious causing the issue and all of her test came back clean, so they just told us to watch her and bring her back if things got worse. Over a few weeks the symptoms just went away though, and we still have no idea what caused it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Halloween Jack posted:

Never met a rabbit that didn't love bananas. Bananas: The Thinking Man's CarrotTM

Do your rabbits twitch their butts when they get banana? It’s the only treat that causes that to happen with our rabbits

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
So it turns out my rabbits like limes? I was juicing some limes and they were interested in what I was doing so I let them smell my hands, thinking they would run away, but they were very interested in the scent. I gave them a tiny piece of lime and they loved it.

They are wary of grapes and blueberries, and don't like raspberries, but limes? Delicious

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I have one rabbit who won't jump up on anything, and another that loves to climb up on everything. But the one that likes to climb won't step off of the carpet, and the one that won't climb doesn't care about tile/hardwood floors. So each one goes somewhere the other won't.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Getting two rabbits to look in the same direction is harder than it seems. I have no idea how pet photographers do it

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The Bissell Perfect Sweep turbo, still really like using it half a year in

We took one of our rabbits to the vet this week because she’s always behaved kind of strangely, and we had x rays taken. It turns out she has scoliosis and broke her back sometime before we adopted her, so I guess that explains some things

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
drat, why would they film that? I can't imagine wanting to go back and revisit the memory of my crying over my deceased pets. And why would they share that? Just to get facebook likes?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
We made a dig box by taking a big box like that and cutting it in half lengthwise, then nesting one half inside of the other so one half was covered and the other was open. It worked well and our rabbits seemed to like having the half-roof to hide and dig under.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Hey, I know this is explicitly House Bunny area, but help me thread, you're my only hope.

I live in a relatively urban area but we have a yard and some green space nearby, so there's squirrels, mice, rats, and there's been an uptick in bunnies since the pandemic. We were out gardening, and a garden pot had some distinct pulsing under the layer of dried leaves at the base. Really obvious "Something Is Here" stuff. I was expecting rats or mice, which I don't want, so I carefully peel back layers of leaves and hair (!) until I can see the culprit, at least 3 baby bunnies, they have hair but you could fit at least 2 in your hand, maybe all 3. Ears the size of your little fingernail. Once we went back inside, parent bunny hopped back into the pot to check on the kids. Gave them about 15 seconds and hopped out again.

Anything I should do besides ignore them and let nature happen? Can someone tell me they'll be fine, and also will only eat the weeds?

They'll be fine as long as the mom is okay. They'll just stay in the nest and the mom will come in the early morning and evening to feed them, otherwise she'll be off doing other things. In about a week they'll be big enough to go off on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
We got a nest in our raised tomato bed last year and we set up a camera to make sure the mom was feeding the bunnies. If you're worried about them you could try doing that so you don't disturb them or scare the mom off.

And you can end up with some good videos like this

https://i.imgur.com/uTMp3Dw.mp4