Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I've just found this thread and I love it!

My wife and I found a bunny in our yard last October and took her in.

Cilantro in her reading chair.

Chilling in the living room.

Upon deciding to keep her, we got supplies and learned that she was litter trained and very distrusting of us. She would lunge at any hands or feet near her, which led me to believe she may have been abused and abandoned.

When we first took her in, she was all mean and bitey but she slowly got used to us and the biting all but stopped once we took her to the vet. Since then we've had a continuous stream of vet bills due to the vet discovering a broken jaw (!) that lead to several facial abscesses (!) and :siren: an infected tooth root :siren:

Cilantro (so named because it's what she ate the most of when we first got her) has been spayed and unfortunately had to have her top and bottom incisors removed due to the tooth root infection that just wouldn't go away. She's currently doing awesome after a round of Penicillin G. She should be completely healed soon!

When we're both out of the house, Cilantro has the run of the office. When we're both home, we take down the baby gate at the door and she can roam the living room and kitchen as well. She can be found laying in front of the couch, between the sitting chairs (2nd pic) and sometimes on the couch with us.

The House Bunny website has been a god send and my wife and I are probably bunny converts for life. :)

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

No wonder she was all distrustful, sounds like somebody kicked her around really hard :(

She trusts us now, but takes some time getting used to guests in the house. But since the living room has lots of space, she just finds a comfy corner and chills if we have company.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bean posted:

So, anyone got any good advice for bunnies who will NOT take their medicine?

Camille's been sneezing. No snot, no other symptoms, just sneezing. Still eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally. I use Yesterday's News litter and a coroplast floor. The vet couldn't figure out why she was sneezing, so she gave me baytril to give to Camille, figuring she had an infection just in her nose. "They like it," she says. "It's cherry flavored."

I'm assuming since it's "cherry-flavored" that you got liquid Baytril?

With our rabbit, we were getting purple 22.7 mg pills to give her once a day. The vet said they were flavorless and preferred by anything that wasn't a carnivore. They also make brown colored, liver-flavored ones, which we got once by accident and whoa buddy, Cilantro wouldn't eat one to save her life.

You might want to check and see if they might have accidentally given you the wrong flavor.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Deceptor101 posted:

Cilantro is a great looking bun! Her bone structure and poses really remind me of Ben, do you know what breed she is? I've never known Ben's breed and I've always been curious. Thanks.

Sorry to be so late on this, but I kept seeing it then getting distracted! My wife tried to do research on what type of bunny Cilantro is but couldn't really narrow it down to a specific breed. Your guess is as good as ours!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Megalodon posted:

Just an update here. The new bunny isn't going as well as I'd hoped. He's staying in a room by himself, but every now and then when I walk in there (namely this morning), he gets extremely territorial. He lunges at me to bite and has taken several chunks of skin out of my legs. This is unexpected and I'm still pretty inexperienced so I'm not sure how to handle this. :( This happens before I even try to touch him. I don't want to bring him back, but I don't want an aggressive bunny either. Bear has never been anything like him.

When we first took in Cilantro, she was extremely aggressive. Lunges, bites, scratches, you name it. It just took time for her to get used to my wife and I before she got to know us. After about a month of feeding her and talking to her and just making sure she was exposed to us, she started letting us pet her sometimes while she was laid down. It just takes time, so be patient and hang in there!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Megalodon posted:

Another update. I went in to see the new bun today and he seemed to be doing fine. I held him with no problems, so I brought him with me to lay on the couch. He did that comfy stretched out adorable bunny thing and just hung out for awhile, until about 20 minutes later when he decided to bite my arm.

This sounds like he's trancing out then coming back and not really sure of who you are.

Sorry he's not compatible with you. :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Got in our 5 lb. order of Kleen Mama hay and the bun LOVES it! She just hung out in her cage, chomping on some hay. Even with the ridiculous UPS shipping charges, it's still cheaper per pound than Oxbow!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Melicious posted:

pulling the tufts of molted fur

Isn't this a great hobby? :v:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Megalodon posted:

Just saw this post and wanted to ask. :) Is this some of the best hay you can get? I checked their prices, and while shipping is retarded ($42 for a $25 order), it's still significantly cheaper than purchasing at the store, and I'm all for better quality.

The largest they offer right now is a 45 lb. box of timothy. I don't know anything about storing hay, and the largest bag I've gotten so far is 6 lb. I'd prefer to get the 45 lb. box as it's cheaper in the long run, but how long can hay be stored for? It would be kept indoors so moisture isn't an issue, but I'm wondering if this is overkill for two small-ish bunnies. $67 for not having to buy hay for a looong time would be way worth it, though. :) Oh, and just how large is one of these boxes? The 6 lb. bag is pretty large so I assume I'll need to find some space for a 45 lb. box. Thanks. :):hf::)

Edit: While I'm at it, how are their pellets? I may as well get both if they're awesome quality. Mine are currently halfway through the switching process to Oxbow. Advice on if it's possible to store 50 lb. of pellets properly would be appreciated as well. May as well get the biggest.

We got 5 lbs of the 2nd cut timothy for Cilantro since we'd been buying Oxbow hay for something like $7/lb. 5 lbs for $7 + $13 shipping is a great deal and it's a whole lot more hay than we'd expected. Cilantro will be chewing on it for a while!

She seems to like it, but I couldn't say if she likes it more or less than the Oxbow. All I know is that the store-bought hays usually have lots of dust in the bag and I'm apparently allergic to that dust. Either Kleen Mama's has less dust or the container is so big it's all settled to the bottom and I can't get to it yet.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

SteveVizsla posted:

I need some bunny ER help, the local vet doesnt do rabbits and all of my rabbit friends are asleep.. please IM me goldenmismark if you might be able to help

Still need help? :ohdear:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Fenarisk posted:

Holy gently caress is that thing obese.

Let's see how your dewlap looks after 9 years on this earth!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

I think the issue happens a) when I'm putting hay into it and spill a bit everywhere, or attempt to crush some pieces in and they spray around, and b) when the buns pull out a strand and it makes hay dust fly everywhere.

Also, that metal thing scares me because it has pointy corners and Frith is not graceful. He would so bonk his face on that in no time.

Here's how Cilantro is set up:

Her litter cage is in our office, which she has free reign of while we're gone. When we're home, we take down the baby gate and she can choose between her preference of the office, living room or kitchen.

When we first got her, we had a litter pan that fit in the corner but she absolutely hated it and would try to move it and bite on it. She was also spending 90% of her time in her cage as she was very bite-y and aggressive when we found her. Since she was confined, it may have been annoying and in her way.

We removed the litter pan and found that she prefers a corner in which to do her business and lots of hay to chew on. So we obliged and everyone's happier for it. :3:

As for the hay dust, when I make her cage up I try to shake the hay loose as much as possible inside the box. I'm ridiculously allergic to timothy hay (my only apparent allergy, go figure) so if I inhale even a teeny bit I'm sneezing for 10 minutes straight with eyes watering and so on. If I stick my hand in the box, grab some hay and shake it vigorously I get less dust in the cage and the air.

Bonus Edit:

Bunny nap under a blanket cave :3:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 25, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

Edit: some rabbits will always hate being picked up and held, mine included. That doesn't mean he can't still be really affectionate.

Cilantro hates hates HATES hates Hates Hates HATES being picked up. But she looooooooves getting pets and she'll sit real close to you to get them :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bagleworm posted:

How am I supposed to help a rabbit lose weight? Is there anything else I can do in addition to strict diet and exercise?

She got fat over the summer when my boyfriend's mom spoiled her with seed treats and carrots, and the weight just isn't going away. Is it a serious health concern, or something that can be taken care of more slowly?

Here's fatty:

It's mostly dewlap in that photo, but she's got a good layer of pudge all around

She looks like a grey version of my chubby bunny! Cilantro was ill for a while and struggled to keep on weight. So we were feeding her all the hay and pellets she wanted on top of the green veggies we give her daily and occasional treats. Once the illness went away, she got to a healthy weight plus a little bit. Her followup with the vet got us a warning of "if she were any heavier I'd fuss at you." We've cut back her treats and pellets to recommended amounts and she's allowed out into the rest of the house when we're home. The rest of the time she's in her room/our office.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

One of these things is not like the others...

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

Apologies for crappy iphone picture. But I had to share. :3:

This made my wife squeal with delight.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

protect-me-from-the-falcons-in-the-apartment chair

And here I thought Cilantro sitting under my chair while I'm at my desk meant she loved me. She was just using me as a falcon shield! How rude! <:mad:>

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Blue_monday posted:

Does anyone know any reputable breeders in Canada? I want to get a giant Angora rabbit and for the life of me I cannot find a breeder online. I would like to avoid buying from a pet store if at all possible. The only problem is I live in Newfoundland, where breeders arent very common/I have not been able to find one, I might call some of the pet stores tomorrow to see if they're able to order one for me. I think the giant angora is perfect for me as it combines my love of big bunnies and the possibility of wool :3

Angoras are cute and lovely and fuzzy as all get out but couldn't you adopt a bun in need of a loving home? :love: :3: :love:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Jeebus, we just ran out of Kleen Mama hay and I opened a bag of OxBow Timothy and all I can say is that the Kleen Mama hay is MILES APART better than the OxBow.

Here's hoping the next shipment arrives tomorrow!

Edit - Gigi is ridiculously cute and has the same carrot toy as Cilantro :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro is at the vet today because last night she wasn't eating and got to have a fun trip to the emergency vet. One diagnosis of mild GI stasis and a possible dental abscess later, we're home at 3:30 AM. Hopefully the check at the normal vet today will be something minor and simple and not a new dental abscess because they were a pain in the rear end last time. :(

Edit: It turned out to be overgrown molars w/ gingivitis and inflamed gums. Treatment will be antibiotics and some meds to help her GI get moving again. She's eating again, which is good, but not pooping so much yet. :ohdear:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 23, 2009

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Dr. Octagon posted:

Happy new year, bunny thread! Here's a picture of worlds colliding:

This made my wife very nervous until she saw the rubberband on the claw.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Apparently my wife buys poison flowers for our house and one of the petals was on the floor and Cilantro found it and ate it.

Any one know if Alstroemeria (Peruvian Lily) is something we need to be immediately worried about or will this all just blow over? Everything we've found so far says that it is a mildly toxic plant that can cause vomiting or diarrhea in humans when ingested. She only got a single petal but she's only a 6 lb bunny. That said, she's already done several "I ate a poisonous flower petal" victory laps around the living room.

Edit - One e-mail to the vet later and we now know that Cilantro would have to eat her body weight in Peruvian Lily petals to get sick. The More You Knowİ

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 8, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ragnarok Plus posted:

Apparently while my husband is not allergic to bunnies, he is VERY allergic to hay. All research I've done so far suggests that these is no real way to provide a healthy diet for bunnies sans hay and would otherwise be subjecting them to an early death. Unless someone here has found another way to get around this problem as searching a good deal of the internet has yielded me nothing, I will have to give them up. I am -incredibly- heartbroken right now.

Hay makes me sneeze like crazy and my eyes water and all that fun sinus stuff. If I hold my breath while I put hay in her litter box, it's better but I still need to wash my hands afterward.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pardalis posted:

Juniper passed away violently yesterday morning in my arms from unknown causes. I opted to have our rabbit vet perform a necropsy on him and it is inconclusive at this point. They are going to perform several cultures and also send his tissues to be analyzed.

It all started with him having a very slight head tilt the day before. He kept the head tilt and I made a vet appointment for the next morning. He died half an hour before the clinic opened. His symptoms basically progressed from light head tilt to rapid heavy breathing, drooling copious amounts of orange tinted drool, severe head tilt, to ultimately "coughing" blood and then dying.

I am crushed to say the least. He will be missed more than I can describe and was one of the most amazing animals I have ever had the privilege to know.

gently caress. Goondolences :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ashling posted:

May I please have fresh bunny pictures then?

This is what I see when I look down from my computer chair:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just sticking my head in to say we got a second order of Kleen Mama's 3rd cut timothy and this poo poo is amazing.

It's also our third order and we're definitely going to be Kleen Mama customers for a while. It ships slow and the shipping fees seem ungodly, but when you factor in the cost of the bulk hay + shipping per pound, it's still cheaper than store-bought hay and better quality.

And on top of it, the bun loves it!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Aaaaand just when we think life is good, Cilantro stops eating her dinner.

Crap.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

Check how warm her ears are?

She was normal temperature. We had an incident like this previously and the vet gave us a bottle of metoclopramide in case she had issues again. We gave her 1 mL (recommended dose) and put out fresh green and changed her litter box. We came back from the movies and she'd pooped a few times and eaten the food we left out. She also just ate a half serving of greens and some hay. I think we caught it early enough.

She's going to see the doc Monday anyway as a follow up to the December stasis incident.

Edit: Woke up to a litter box full of poops and a hungry bunny! Yay!

Post hay-romp style

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 21, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

She has such a beautiful coat, she looks a lot like Portia minus being a lop but Portia's coat isn't that shiny :3:

We think her beautiful coat is what was probably the problem last night. She's shedding like crazy, so she might have had a small furball tummyache. Pondering getting a Furminator, but she hates the normal brush so I dunno how she'd react to a new tool.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bunway Airlines posted:

You know, mine eats paper like it's going out of style.

Let's get people to chime in on this...is it ok to let them eat plain paper? Portia will eat about a sheet of printer paper every 2-3 days. She has plenty of fresh hay, water, greens and a good appetite but just really seems to enjoy paper. Her poop looks normal and I don't see any signs of constipation. Thoughts?

Cilantro likes to nibble on my wife's students' papers they turn in for her class. She's got no incisors so she gums them until they're soggy and then tears pieces off with her lips. :3:

We usually chase her off or move them when we notice, but she's eaten maybe a good 2 or 3 square inches at a time if left unchecked.

Before she had her teeth removed, she once ate a nice delicate pattern in my folded pay stub. :10bux::hf::3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

As of late I can see exposed heel on Frith's feet -- I can see pink skin, whereas Zen's heels are fully fur covered. Is this bad? He only walks/hops/runs on carpet, couch, or the occasional grass, except on the rare occasion he's dumb enough to attempt to scramble across the wood floor and immediately regrets it. Is this something to be concerned by?

Keep an eye on that, it can turn into sore hocks. It should be covered with fur, but may be something as simple as the hair being parted wrong.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Levitate posted:

Yeah, as a general rule, don't leave anything (ANYTHING) that you don't want destroyed within reach of a bunny. Even for a few seconds while your back is turned.

They may show no interest in chewing holes in something until that one minute that you're not paying attention and then bam they've ripped it apart.

Mine especially loves to decimate blankets

Our toothless bunny managed to eat about 2 inches of shoelace on my running shoes. Got it back to the molars and chewed like hell I suppose.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I just got an iPhone so of course I had to test the video feature with Cilantro, right? Right? :smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny5GjsTxixM

Please ignore my :sissies: bunny voice. :3:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Long bunny is loooooong (or laid down very flat with her chin on the ground :3: )

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro's been practicing her relaxed positions.

Half-flop

Chin down

Full flop

Edit: of course, after she's all cute, now she's sitting in her cage and not eating. :ohdear: 1ml Metoclopramide administered.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

Edit: of course, after she's all cute, now she's sitting in her cage and not eating. :ohdear: 1ml Metoclopramide administered.

Update: She's out of the cage, in the living room and slowly nibbling some greens. :ohdear:

Re-update: We have poops in the litter!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

YAY! Updates please.

edit:

Bitsy sitting on my boyfriend's back.

Bitsy looking like a chubby fat fat (the angle is all wrong!)

Paterson loves my boyfriend.

D'awww super cute buns!

Pre-bedtime update: More poops, appetite back. Bedtime pellets and water administered.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ShadowCatboy posted:

Given how half this thread is squeeing about cute rabbits and the other half is pleading for poop and cheering when said poop appears, I am giving second thoughts to adopting a rabbit.

Rabbits are worthwhile pets who are also delicate flowers. You scare a rabbit? It could die of fright. Pick it up and it could kick hard enough to break it's back and die. Rabbit is in pain? You'll never hear a peep and then it stops eating and, you guessed it, it could die.

Owning a rabbit is not for the faint of heart.

Any way, back to the cutness and poops.

Morning update: Lot of poops! Yay!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gumby Orgy posted:

Remove it when you aren't monitoring. Easy peasy.

Edit: Harper is shedding like I've never seen an animal shed before. I'm using the furminator but it isn't having a huge effect on the amount of hair he's losing in the mean time. I gave him a shower today and he clogged my drain. Is there anything to help? I've started to see a lot of hair in his poop, so this is of concern.

Aside from aggressive grooming, you could try papaya or pineapple to introduce enzymes that help rabbits digest the stuff that gets stuck to the hair while in the GI tract.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Sup?

Happy Nap Time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Condolences for your loss, Windy.