Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i want to go to there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i have a CME Xkey 37, and its nice enough (but i still think it's overpriced)

the action on it is very similar to the chicklet keyboard of a 2015 macbook pro (before apple started making bad keyboards). with the aluminium construction, it really looks and feels like it could be an Apple product from that era.

my main problem with it is that it's hard to play with any dynamics on it. on paper, it's sensitive to how much pressure you apply. but in practice, each note is gonna be about as loud as the last one, unless you're paying very close attention to your touch.

i think its better suited to synth sounds and organ sounds than to piano sounds. but you can always dial in the dynamics after the fact, if you want

anyway, i got a deal on reverb so i didn't pay the full 200 bux. but i recommend it, with the caveats i mentioned

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its https://synthesiagame.com/

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So I've been feeling the call to play some music lately, something I haven't tried since grade school. Is there a reasonable starter keyboard I should buy? I'm sure this gets asked all the time, I read the OP and am 100% fine with something cheap though I do have money to budget if weighted keys will make a difference - sounds like folks here generally say to go for 88-key weighted. Being able to hook it up to a PC would certainly be cool. I live in a 1 bedroom nyc apartment, no upright pianos for me. I doubt I will get a teacher initially but it's something I am open to, I just don't know how much time I'll put into this in practice.

I think budget is probably around $1000 max though cheaper would be better. I don't mind buying something built to last, I'd rather spend money now than get something I'd want or have to replace eventually.

Like how would I choose between, say, this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DGX-660-Weighted-Digital-Headphones/dp/B01M0AU5C4?tag=musiccritic-search-20&th=1

and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Key-Weighted-Digital-Sustain/dp/B07GB1NCB8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

The DGX-660 sounds pretty cool and I'd say I'm leaning towards that but I really feel lost here, happy to accept a pitch for something else.

what kind of music are you trying to play on piano?

dgx-660 is newer and the key action is supposed to be the same. get that one if you have to choose between the 2
e: oops hosed this up, got this confused with the p105, which is what i have. the p125 is newer than the dgx660, but the dgx660 has more onboard sound fx

check the specs

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/p_series/p-125/specs.html#product-tabs
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-660/specs.html#product-tabs

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 17, 2019

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

the numa numa song posted:

- Has lots more under-the-hood sound processing to emulate the nuances of sound in a grand piano.

i didnt find that, how can you tell?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
can someone post about playing organ music at home?

are these yamaha digital pianos appropriate for that, or is the key action different to what you would get on an organ? im thinking one of those korg synths would be more appropriate for those kinds of sounds, and afaik they don't have the weighted keys like the yamaha digital pianos have

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Are there any good apps for drilling sight reading? Specifically for when I'm not at the piano?

check out ReadRhythm on the iphone

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I can't find this for some reason. I could definitely use something to work on my rhythm reading.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rhythm-sight-reading-trainer/id396302174

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

For the triads yes (I think these are called the diatonic chords) but once you get into certain extends chords like the dominant 7 you'll get some notes that are not in the scale. Also while lots of songs stick to diatonic chords you can also break the rules in fun and exciting ways.

uh oh, i think someone might get confused reading that! i better clarify: a dominant 7th chord certainly can be diatonic to a major key!

the 7th chord built off the 5th scale degree is a dominant 7th chord. in the key of C major, thats G7. there's always exactly one diatonic dominant 7th chord in each key. check it out:

Cmaj7: C E G B
Dm7: D F A C
Em7: E G B D
Fmaj7: F A C E
G7: G B D F
Am7: A C E G
B half-diminished 7th: B D F A

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons/46

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_chord#Secondary_dominant

i think op might have been referring to this phenomenon called "secondary dominant chords" ^^

it's one way that a dominant 7th chord from outside the key can be used in a piece of music.

(still using the key of C as an example) it's common for the Am7 to be replaced by an A7. to see what the A7 is doing try playing these two progressions:

C Am Dm G7 C
C A7 Dm G7 C

for me, the one with the A7 creates a stronger pull towards the Dm that follows it

Am7: A C E G
A7: A C# E G

that C# definitely isn't in the key, but the chord still "works". thats one way you will see a dominant 7th chord from outside the key get used

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Western music theory question. I’ve been enjoying a radio series where they talk about each musical key as if it were a person and how different keys have very different feels and emotions.

would love to check out the source on this. guessing these key feelings are deeply subjective, i wonder if i would feel the same way about keys as your radio person

Nigel Tufnel posted:

While I don’t disagree, I do wonder how that is happening. If I understand correctly, the notes in the key of D major, for example, are the same as the notes in the key of C major, just one whole step up. So how is it that keys have different feels if it’s the same notes just transposed up.

uh oh! this could confuse someone, because the notes in C major are different from the notes in D major!

C D E F G A B
D E F# G A B C#

but i'm guessing this isn't what you meant. i think what you might have meant was: "The intervals between the notes in the C major scale are the same as the intervals between the notes in the D major scale."

so because of that, "in theory," the keys should feel totally equivalent. but they don't! because music is filled with wonderful details that theory can sort of paper over sometimes

e:

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Re: do certain keys have emotional attachments. Great video here from Adam Neely.

https://youtu.be/6c_LeIXrzAk

tldr: not in modern tuning but also yes but it’s more instrument specific and to do with what timbres and techniques are available on that instrument given a certain key.

oh word you figured it out already :v:

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 27, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Me and my small hands have problems with 7th chords. How acceptable is it to leave out the 5th? Makes it much easier to play for me. Exceptions being dims with a flat 5.

Am I going to cast out by snobby jazz heads (yes probably no matter what)

the jazz guys would concur with your reasoning about dropping the perfect 5th but keeping the flat-5 when its called for

i think this frees you up for lots of different chord voicings you could't get if you were obliged to play that 5th!

Jazz Marimba posted:

Root -- 3rd -- 7th is such a common jazz voicing there's a name for it: shell voicings. Check out Bud Powell--he p much developed them

its this

and sometimes it sounds really good to play the 5th in the bass (2nd inversion), so it could be good to just play a shell chord in your right hand so you aren't doubling the 5th

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Bit of a delayed reply but if I was in F major then wouldn't I have to have a Gm rather than a G to incorporate the flat B (speaking in terms of the diatonic chords in Fmaj)?

Yeah thats right, the G Major chord is NOT in the key of F Major. Instead, the G Minor chord is. But the G Major chord is in F Lydian (same notes as C major), so thats one other way to think about this.

in C Major, i would write IV ii vi V

in F Lydian, i would write I vi iii II

And instead of saying F Lydian, you could also say "its in the key of F major, but I'm borrowing this non-diatonic G major chord for color."

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i know this is the piano thread, but ultimate guitar might have what you need. i usually google "$SONG_NAME chords" and most of the time, someone has posted a chart for it to UG.

but beware guitar chord sheets which call for a capo! for example if it says "Capo: 5" that means you need to click the button to transpose up 5 semitones so it sounds right on your piano.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
how about playing organ music at home? no need for weighted keys there, right?

yet, digital organs are even more expensive. why?

is it just the onboard sound? i can't imagine..

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Yes, no need for weighted keys on an organ. What kind of organ are you looking for? (The solution is midi controller(s) & software either way)

i'm a guitar player, so the keyboard is mostly for me to do MIDI input, experiment with different chord voicings, etc. not so much for performance.

i used to have a yamaha p105 digital piano, but i didn't really appreciate the weighted keys. i need a replacement, so now it's a question of whether to get another digital piano with weighted keys, or something else...

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i'm probably only going to be playing synth patches thru MIDI, but it would be nice to have legit onboard sounds. just not sure i'm ready to spend 2000 or 3000 bux on it...

i've seen keyboard players at shows play those red Nord synths. i don't think those have weighted keys, but that seems closer to what i'm looking for.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Doesn't seem that there's a songwriting thread (sure there used to be) so I'll put this here.

C minor is an absolute favourite key for me to play in. It falls very naturally under my fingers and I love the way it sounds on my piano. Unfortunately when I write songs in C minor I find often the bottom of the melody is below my vocal range and going an octave up doesn't give me enough range above that.

From some experimentation it seems that D minor is more suited to my voice. However, I really dislike the way D minor sounds. The 'low' Dm i-chord sounds undetailed and not at all rich like a Cm chord. Subsequently, I don't really like the way that a lot of my songs sound in D minor.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas? So far I've got:
1. Stop playing in C minor all time as I'm comparing everything to it unfavourably.
2. Play inversion of Dm to add some richer bottom end
3. Do vocal exercises and sing more often to try and expand my vocal range a bit

It's really weird that C minor would sound good to you, while the same voicing in D minor doesn't!

It is the same chord voicing right? You're not playing a nice spread voicing for C minor and comparing it to baby's first root position D minor, are you? I dunno what to tell you, other than try a different chord voicing.

How's C#/Db minor to your ear?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Hawkperson posted:

There’s a lot of debate over whether or not different keys are hearably different, but even in equal temperament there’s not an exact relationship between the notes in all keys.

Also the sampling of each key might have some flaws in it - I’d be super curious to know if D minor sounds different to you on a different piano.

i was thinking the same thing hawk person, like maybe he was on an acoustic piano tuned such that D minor sounds bad? or playing a digital piano with some kind of bogus sound? but neither seems to be the case:

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I don't have perfect pitch but I spent countless, and I mean countless, hours using a piece of music software called Rave eJay when I was a kid and all the samples are in the key of C minor so I think I have developed some sort of unshakeable affinity for the way it sounds.

oooh interesting! if you had your brain broken by C minor as a kid, and that's the key of the music you hear in your head, then maybe its more sensible to try to adapt your voice?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
any of you pianists good at chess? this guy impresses me!

https://twitch.tv/videogamepianist

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i had a question for the piano people: has anyone ever played on smaller-than-standard keys? It comes up in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXlknI-Jc48

On piano, its good to have big hands -- its the same on guitar. But in the guitar world, people with smaller hands can always get a short-scale instrument.

The video says that's not really a thing in the piano world. There's only one size, and you get to either love it or leave it (or get in touch with the one guy in the entire world who can make a smaller keyboard). I was surprised to hear that.. I wonder how many people quit because no one wants to make a piano that fits?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Alizee posted:

I got burnt out on practicing in my undergrad and now I'll never spend as much time playing, and therefore will never be as good, and therefore will try to play the piano for real again. Goodbye.

sorry to hear that the piano has pissed you off, OP :(

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
A few weeks ago, I bought an antique accordion from an estate sale! May I discuss accordion in the piano thread? One of the accordion sides has piano keys, and the other side has the bass buttons (following the circle of fifths! cool!)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cum jabbar posted:

I need a solution for practice while away from home. Can anyone recommend a compact digital piano, maybe something with 4 octaves and a headphone output that might fit in a suitcase?

I have this goofy thing, the X Key 37. It works Ok for me, a novice player, playing synths thru GarageBand. But for what it's worth, my piano player friend, who is good, couldn't stand it. https://xkeyair.com/xkey37/

I don't think you'll get 4 octaves in a suitcase, but this has 3, and it can fit into a suitcase. Maybe you can find something even more compact?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would you like to look at my accordion? you can see the strap is broken at the top -- this was a "you broke it, you bought it" type of situation :(

but it plays mostly in tune, and it sounds good! i just sort of lean to my left side, and i let gravity help me open the bellows :roflolmao:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Oops, its not really visible. Here's a picture of the strap. This instrument was said to be a "case queen" (it spent decades in storage instead of getting played).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

oh no computer posted:

Very cool thing about learning the piano as an adult: struggling with a section of a piece you're learning so you go to youtube to see how it's meant to be played, only to be greeted by a literal 5 year old playing the whole thing way better than you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9E8X_Rl06w

think that's bad? check out the debasement we're dealing with in the guitar thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsQudFjXXE&t=15s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hey pianists, cross posting this from the Guitar thread! we're all selling off our instruments and signing up for piano lessons after seeing this video

just kidding, hope you all are enjoying your pianos and piano-kins :cheers: