Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Herp thread will have the answers.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
How is this forum with wildlife rehabilitation?

Mainly I enjoy people who rescue animals and whatnot. And being from USA there is one channel I really enjoy watching from Britain and that is from WIldlife Aid

If you clicked that link and noticed the front page you might get this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hesmzwyNNIg

Now I know I do not post here a lot but I wanted to broadcast this because Wildlife Aid is one of my favorite Youtube channels to watch when it comes to Animal Rescue. I really like to watch the progress of all of the animals rescued including the foxes. Simon, the one who started this whole thing I have been a big fan since like 2010. But the video above shows him doing it much earlier in his youth.

Simon has Terminal Cancer and if it means anything please think about what he created.

Sorry if this seems like a please donate to charity post because gently caress cancer, and I wish this man could do more without it. Sorry if this is a heartbreaking post.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cross-posting from the Cat FAQ Megathread:

From a colleague:

"In June, we had to say goodbye to our sweet feline furbaby, Snow White. She had end stage renal failure and we provided her palliative care at home for about 6 months, which included Hill's Science Diet K/D wet food, B-12 shots, and daily subcut injections of lactated ringers. We still have some supplies left that we'd love to donate to someone who might be dealing with the same situation. Most shelters, etc will not take the items from us unfortunately and I know it can be hard for some to afford for pay for these items. Please message me if you or someone you know is in need of syringes, lactacted ringer bags, food, B-12 liquid, and/or tubing and I will figure out a way to get them to you."

Please PM me if you know anyone who could use any of this equipment/specialty food. You can also email me at catnamednorris at the ol' Gee-mail.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
So I'm in the market for a new dog friend, and finding one that fits my wife's parameters is pretty difficult (the parameters don't mean much so I won't bore you with them, suffice to say finding a dog that ticks all the boxes is non-trivial). So I found one, a rescue from China. The story varies, but she was either found in an abandoned factory or she was liberated from a meat truck. The truth will never be known, but anyway: this weekend we packed, got on a ferry, visited our glorious provincial capital, paid way too much for a hotel because unknown to us there was a big music festival, and went to visit and hopefully claim this creature from the foster. But we didn't adopt, yet anyway, because the poor thing is basically a broken shell of a dog. Having some PTSD of my own I immediately recognized the affect -- head buried into a corner, unresponsive, no eye contact, not interested in treats, averse to noise and movement, and apparently she'd been like that with very little improvement for three weeks. You can touch/pet her but she doesn't react other than to bury her face further. So anyway, the questions:

- We had a rescue before. The experience was pretty much opposite to this one (after the house visit, the rescue coordinator basically cheerfully shoved the dog into our car and wished us luck, and he was basically the best dog for fourteen years). So is this more of a normal experience?
- Can a dog even recover from this? (I hope yes, or it means bad news for me too). While I can talk it out with a therapist, this dog sure can't. But finding a dog with the right qualifications has been difficult. I offered to foot the bill for an assessment from an animal behaviorist, a vet visit, and any medications that get prescribed until she gets adopted by me or someone else, but I also said this doesn't constitute a commitment to adopt since we have no idea what kind of personality might emerge. But what's even worse is that the foster, bless her, has never done this before. It's her first foster and I'm pretty sure she isn't equipped to handle this. The dog is (possibly, it's probably a wild guess from China) 7 months old so hopefully the damage isn't permanent.
- Am I just overly concerned, and most rescue dogs start out like this but self-heal (and if so, why did the rescue society put her up for adoption when she wasn't even close to ready)?

I know there will be a lot of admonishment directed to me about sunk cost, but you know, she's definitely a looker and I feel emotionally invested / empathetic now. I'm not exactly rolling in cash, but since I'm not paying my previous dog's medical bills anymore I don't feel too bad doing what I can for this poor girl. I'm wondering, percentage-wise, what are the odds of her becoming an actual pet rather than a dark spot in the corner; and what kind of timeline would that be?

Thanks any rescue/behaviorist people who might offer an opinion.

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Very few dogs are beyond help, and the behaviors you're describing are reasonably common among shelter animals. There are no guarantees in life, but especially since you mentioned being able/willing to utilize a behaviorist, I would guess you'll be fine. There are, obviously, less risky dogs out there if you're looking for simplicity, and nobody would judge you for not wanting to take on a possible behavioral case, but for what it's worth, it sounds like you're more willing/able to give this dog the care it needs than most other potential adopters will be.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A dog can absolutely recover from that, especially a young dog, but it depends on your end goals. It is reasonable to expect once you put time/money/meds into the situation that you end up with a loving pet that you can pet and interacts with you. It may not be reasonable to expect that she becomes a social butterfly, go anywhere dog if that's what you're looking for.

My dog had some pretty severe emotional problems after spending 5 months in and out of rescue, although he blows up instead of shuts down. We've been seeing a veterinary behaviorist for almost 12 years now and we got him to the point of being safe and happy but he was never the go anywhere do anything dog I really wanted. It took a while to make my peace with that and accept him for who he is. The vet behaviorist helped us make reasonable goals and we were able to achieve all of them though.

Seeing a veterinary behaviorist, not a trainer, is probably going to be really key for this dog and the rescue may just not have the resources for that or know of one to reach out to. Being on a boatload of zoloft was huge for my dog and as he started getting older and facing cognitive decline she has helped me work out new meds to keep him happy as long as possible. Trainers just don't have the resources and education to do all of that.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Is there a thread or any general discussion around megaesophagus in dogs? Looks like our 7 year old lab has developed this and it's hard getting him to keep food and water down. Currently vertical feeding and keeping him there for about 25 minutes is helping a lot but just thought to ask for others experiences.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Are there any threads focusing on bugs/insects?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Can anyone recommend a sunblock for a dog? AKC says not to use anything with zinc or PARA, and I feel like if I Google "dog sunblock" I'll get a lot of real bullshit.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
I built my cats a little tower out of Costco boxes. They like it but I don't want to look at the boxes everyday. Is there a good cat safe way to cover the box sides?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

CaptainJuan posted:

Can anyone recommend a sunblock for a dog? AKC says not to use anything with zinc or PARA, and I feel like if I Google "dog sunblock" I'll get a lot of real bullshit.

The hairless dog people I know mostly just recommend a sun coat/shirt to protect from the sun but if it's a spot that isn't covered or you only need to protect a small area this stuff is safe.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
For anyone with experience using rehoming sites for stray cats/kittens, is it normal for people to just ghost you when it gets to the vet reference stage of the vetting process? It's happened twice to me so far, once where the person even gave me her vet details and the reference checked out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

For anyone with experience using rehoming sites for stray cats/kittens, is it normal for people to just ghost you when it gets to the vet reference stage of the vetting process? It's happened twice to me so far, once where the person even gave me her vet details and the reference checked out.
Sorry that I can't give more specific advice, but yes, getting ghosted by people at stages of any online transaction/agreement that make absolutely no loving sense is in fact a normal part of the process for some reason. People are hell.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

AquaticIguana posted:

I built my cats a little tower out of Costco boxes. They like it but I don't want to look at the boxes everyday. Is there a good cat safe way to cover the box sides?

Wrapping paper works for me.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
Any suggestions for a dog that is super shy on leash and in the house? We adopted an adult lab-ish mutt early March, and while he is super happy to run around in the yard with us ( at modest distance), he is terrified at walking much on the leash where it takes lots of coaxing and pets every few minutes so we don't pull on the leash. In the house, he has a couple of specific places where he is content to stay and appreciates attention there, but he rarely gets up from there inside to even eat and drink.

Is this a time and patience thing? Should I get the OTC dog anti anxiety stuff to help?

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
I have a 6 year old shelter dog who is generally fearful and anxious with people who are not me, but happy with dogs around her size. She has allergies to loads of stuff, and we've successfully cut all food allergens we know of and do our best to avoid the environmental ones. She was an itchy little thing but it got mostly better. She doesn't scratch til she bleeds or wake me up with how severely she's itching. Still probably more itchy than the average dog, but much better.

However, she seems to get crazy itchy when she's excited. If we play or it's time for food/walks and she gets hyped up, she's going to stop to gnaw a bit on her legs, or scratch herself a bunch. I feel a little bad for her but I have no idea how to even begin doing anything about it, or if it's even necessary. It's not like she ends up with scratches and scabs like she used to, it just seems uncomfortable and like it's linked to her level of excitement.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

bones 4 beginners posted:

I have a 6 year old shelter dog who is generally fearful and anxious with people who are not me, but happy with dogs around her size. She has allergies to loads of stuff, and we've successfully cut all food allergens we know of and do our best to avoid the environmental ones. She was an itchy little thing but it got mostly better. She doesn't scratch til she bleeds or wake me up with how severely she's itching. Still probably more itchy than the average dog, but much better.

However, she seems to get crazy itchy when she's excited. If we play or it's time for food/walks and she gets hyped up, she's going to stop to gnaw a bit on her legs, or scratch herself a bunch. I feel a little bad for her but I have no idea how to even begin doing anything about it, or if it's even necessary. It's not like she ends up with scratches and scabs like she used to, it just seems uncomfortable and like it's linked to her level of excitement.

Check with your vet, but Benadryl might be a good option. From what I have read, it is safe for dogs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

bones 4 beginners posted:

I've honestly never heard a link between excitement and allergic symptoms, but regardless, there are plenty of good options out there for allergies. Apoquel is a daily pill, cytopoint is an injection given every 4 to 6 weeks. Both are a bit pricey unfortunately, so if that's a concern, simple antihistamines can be used. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound, but will generally make dogs a bit drowsy.

Of course, if we're talking about a situation where she just briefly scratches/licks when excited, and never otherwise, then yeah, it might not warrant treatment.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scratching can be a displacement behavior so he might be just a little excited but conflicted and a good scratch helps him work through his feelings.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Yeah I was thinking it's something more psychological than actually being allergic to excitement. Is there anything I can do to help her with something like that? Again it's not serious, making herself bleed kind of itching. But if there's a way to help her I'd certainly like to. Or is it just not a detrimental enough behavior to worry over?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hey all,

We got our wonderful puppy Georgie two weeks ago. He’s a six month old cucunu.

However - this is my first dog - he has roundworm. How infectious is this? How long do the meds take? Any advice?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pillowpants posted:

Hey all,

We got our wonderful puppy Georgie two weeks ago. He’s a six month old cucunu.

However - this is my first dog - he has roundworm. How infectious is this? How long do the meds take? Any advice?
Reasonably infectious to other dogs in the home, technically infectious to people, but not a big deal as long as everyone is being hygienic. Do your best not to get any of his feces in your mouth.

A good dewormer kicks in fast (clear in a day or two), and is generally quite effective. Sometimes the doctor will have you re-dose in a few weeks, depends on the doctor and the dewormer in question. You'll probably see more in his stool as the dewormer kicks in, so don't get too worried. Contact your vet if he stops eating, gets lethargic, etc. Make sure to get him on a good heartworm preventative, as those will also have good monthly coverage against most intestinal parasites.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irish Revenge posted:

He;'s good to go on shots. But now at the end of walks he starts pulling ahead, and starts growling and trying to nip at my feet. He also this week has started biting people when he is antsy and they pick him up, and has shown more aggression. I am really upset that he is going to turn out to be an aggressive dog. I'm going to talk to my trainer this week about it, and I am trying to exercise him as much as possible and socialize him, but that is difficult to do when you're worried about him biting new people.

Update: He did bite the trainer during puppy school, and the trainer flipped him over on his back for a solid minute until the aggression was all out of him. He did it two more times at different classes before the dog learned to be obedient. He grew out of the walking issues and growling and turned out to be a great dog. We do 2 miles a day now with no problems other than he wants to pee on everything he passes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Hi all, I don't know if there's a dedicated training thread for dogs right now or what, but I'm running into an issue with my lil pup (2.5 mo corgi). She's learned sit and stay really well.... Maybe too well. We've also been teaching her leave it and she's not quite there yet but she's making progress.

The problem is that she's gotten into a bad routine with treats: whenever she notices them, in my hand or in my pocket or wherever, she'll immediately sit down and wait patiently for her "release word." Not the worst habit, but it's making training other commands harder: I want to practice heel and come, but the second she senses the treat she immediately sits down. Heel and come don't work like that.

Never thought I'd have a puppy under three months with this kind of self control for treats (multiple kinds, too, so it's not that she doesn't like them) and that it could actually interfere with command training. Hoping for any suggestions!

Also let me know if there is a dedicated training thread and I will happily repost move this post. Cheers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A friend of mine went on vacation for two weeks, and entrusted care of his two cats to another friend who hadn't ever dealt with cats before. The caretaker managed to successfully feed the cats and keep them alive, but somehow completely failed to clean the kitty litter even once, and the cats began pissing and making GBS threads outside of the litter box. After my friend returned home, he cleaned up all the piss and poo poo he could and sorted out the kitty litter, but the cats continue to piss and poo poo outside of the kitty little box.

Is it... is it possible to un-litter-train a cat? It's been a month and my friend's on the verge of a breakdown, he can't figure out why they're still doing this and how to make them stop. He's been trying out some pet stain and odor-remover sprays in the hopes that might discourage them, but it's seemingly done nothing to stop them.

pic is not of his cats, this is my good boy who only pisses where he's supposed to piss most of the time

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 28, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
e: moved to the health thread

Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 1, 2023

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Would anyone be interested in a dedicated pet invertebrates thread? I breed isopods and millipedes but there doesn't seem to be much talk about bugs around here.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

Jabarto posted:

Would anyone be interested in a dedicated pet invertebrates thread? I breed isopods and millipedes but there doesn't seem to be much talk about bugs around here.

Scroll down a little, there's a bugs megathread. Currently it consists mostly of spiders. Technically not bugs, so your pets will fit right in.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The thread had house spiders, not pet inverts. There's never enough sustainable interest in invert threads as the forums age and more people stick to Reddit and Facebook.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You guys probably get asked this a lot but I looked back a couple pages and didn't see it:

Recommend me a cat-safe, effective flea treatment for carpets, upholstery, curtains, and the cat tree please? We just found fleas on one of the cats, we'll treat all of them with advantage or something like that, but last time we got a rug treatment was many years ago and I have no memory of what it was. I know that permethrin is not cat safe and I also suspect that most of those "natural" treatments are not effective because there's no FDA or whatever controls on claims about herbal flea treatment poo poo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

We generally just recommend a good flea preventative like bravecto or revolution for at least 3 months, and frequent vacuuming/linen washing. Someone may chime in with a specific recommendation, but I've never really heard good things about any product in particular. Good preventatives kill adult fleas fast, while eggs in the environment are a bit more stubborn.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anyone have a good recommendation for a heated cat bed? Winter is coming up, and my ancient kitty has started crawling under blankets at night.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a heated cat bed? Winter is coming up, and my ancient kitty has started crawling under blankets at night.
It would appear she already found a good heated cat bed???

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But I need that bed, and don't like waking up in the middle of the night.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Skippy McPants posted:

But I need that bed, and don't like waking up in the middle of the night.

In a few minutes I'll find put what brand pad we got for my cat. Cat loves it.

Edit:
https://toozey.com/products/toozey-pet-heating-pad

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 6, 2023

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I need help getting my dog to drink water.

He had surgery Friday to remove a foreign body, because he very intelligently ate a rock and it got stuck and made him sick.

They did the surgery and he started to do better, but would not drink water.

I snuck water to him using wet food that I doused in chicken broth but still he needed up needing to go to the vet yesterday to get iv fluids.

He was fine leaving the vet, jumping around and happy again, but slowly, started to lose that vigor again, and again, is refusing to drink.

Doesn't want ice chips.
Doesn't want chicken broth.
Doesn't drink.

Any other recommendations for hydrating up a sick dog?

He's a 3 year old 60 pound poodle, so he needs like... 2 quarts of water a day. He's not even getting half that right now.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Have you tried making your own broth? Take whatever meat you have and boil it for a while in a bunch of water, no need to add veggies or anything. Ground beef, chicken, whatever. The fats and cooking smells may make him more excited about it than canned broth.

If you use boneless meat then you can feed him that along with the broth.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Joburg posted:

Have you tried making your own broth? Take whatever meat you have and boil it for a while in a bunch of water, no need to add veggies or anything. Ground beef, chicken, whatever. The fats and cooking smells may make him more excited about it than canned broth.

If you use boneless meat then you can feed him that along with the broth.

Boiling up some ground beef now. Hope this works

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ok, so... I made the ground beef water, and he did indeed have some after some coaxing. Which is good. But..
I'm a little worried it's too high in fat.
Don't want to upset his stomach.
At the same time don't want him dehydrated.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so... I made the ground beef water, and he did indeed have some after some coaxing. Which is good. But..
I'm a little worried it's too high in fat.
Don't want to upset his stomach.
At the same time don't want him dehydrated.

Thoughts?

You can skim off the fat after it’s it’s in the fridge for a while. Even without the fat, if you heat it a little bit to make it give off more aroma and that would help with appetite.

Is he eating anything? Something carby like rice or bread would help with any upset stomach, I would think. My dogs love crackers.

If he is still not drinking, you could ask your vet about SubQ fluids to administer at home. If you are comfortable with doing some basic medical stuff it’s not too bad. I used to give them to my kitty with pancreatitis who would not eat or drink when she was sick.