Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Hi all, I don't know if there's a dedicated training thread for dogs right now or what, but I'm running into an issue with my lil pup (2.5 mo corgi). She's learned sit and stay really well.... Maybe too well. We've also been teaching her leave it and she's not quite there yet but she's making progress.

The problem is that she's gotten into a bad routine with treats: whenever she notices them, in my hand or in my pocket or wherever, she'll immediately sit down and wait patiently for her "release word." Not the worst habit, but it's making training other commands harder: I want to practice heel and come, but the second she senses the treat she immediately sits down. Heel and come don't work like that.

Never thought I'd have a puppy under three months with this kind of self control for treats (multiple kinds, too, so it's not that she doesn't like them) and that it could actually interfere with command training. Hoping for any suggestions!

Also let me know if there is a dedicated training thread and I will happily repost move this post. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU