Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella, our Great Dane, just turned 3 and we adopted her in October. She's adapted really well from being in a single person home to being in my place, with a large cast of characters. She's quite good with everyone.

Except my sister's boyfriend.

She barks at him when he comes in, does that with nobody else. When he stands up, she barks at him. Her tail is wagging and there doesn't seem to be any sign of aggression, but she barks at lot at him; sometimes just when he's sitting down. It's been several months now and while the behaviour has lessened a bit, every so often something sets her off.

Come to think of it, she did the same with my other sister's fiance. She'd spent about ten minutes sitting in his lap, then she started barking at him for no apparent reason.

We're all at a bit of a loss as to what to do, aside from give her time, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My dog keeps wrecking stuff when she's alone, even if it's just for 20 minutes. Crating doesn't make much sense, since we live next to where we work. It's easy for one of us to pop in, but not always possible for someone to be around all the time.

So far she gets into bags and kleenex boxes, so it's not like she's tearing up valuables, but it's still a huge pain in the rear end.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for clearing that up; I'll try bringing up the idea to my parents again.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe try a humidifier in the house first, see if that fixes the issue. This winter has pretty much sucked.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella's been licking at her dew claw on her front leg for a few days. Tonight I've noticed it's a little swollen. She was just in the vet's a couple of weeks ago for a couple cracked nails + her shots. Should I wait and see if it settles on its own?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

HelloSailorSign posted:

Was there anything done about the cracked nails? When I see multiple cracked nails and/or nail bed inflammation or infection, I worry about an auto-immune disease of the nails. Sometimes, if it's just one or two nails I just have people watch out, but if some nails, as this dew claw may be, become clinically affected then treatment may beneficial.

We've had absolute tons of ice and snow here, and the vet said it wasn't uncommon for them to crack their nails as a result. Because Bella's so fussy with her nails, they actually trimmed them all down in order to make sure they'd regrow properly. Like I said, she was in for her shots/check up and the vet said she was in great shape otherwise. I mentioned the nails offhand and she suggested getting them trimmed.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm not a vet by any means, but I know with Bella, our Great Dane, she'll throw up if she eats too fast. We put a toy in her dish that she has to eat around and that's solved the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I've had an elevated dog dish for quite a while, but it's looking like I'll need a new one soon. Anyone have any recommendations, ideally ones that aren't made of wood?