Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In December, my girlfriend and I adopted a cat. Tesla is generally a laid-back 3 1/2 old, but lately he's been doing something that confuses and annoys us both.

Whenever we sit or lie down and he hops on us, we pet him for a bit and let him get comfortable in whatever weird position he wants. But once he's comfortable, if the person he's sitting on moves in any way, he growls and latches onto whatever body part he can reach. His previous owners had him declawed (front paws only), but he still has teeth and he's bitten us both hard enough to draw blood before we can get him off.

How can we get him to stop this and why the hell does he do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

bobula posted:

Does anyone have any helpful tips/anecdotes about a cat getting bitten by a dog and being okay? :(
My cat went into the backyard earlier, got through the next door neighbor's fence and was promptly chewed on by their dog. She was walking really strangely, like a broken leg/hip and panting a lot so I took her to the vet and they took x-rays and then said that while there were no broken bones, she had a tooth puncture on her stomach and that cats are prone to abscesses and so they put her on an IV with a bunch of antibiotics and all that. She just got her first set of vaccines a few weeks ago when I had her spayed. Plus she's only five months so she's not that old/strong :(

So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from people who have had the same thing happen to their cats. I'm really worried, especially since if there does turn out to be anything more wrong, I can't afford to have any surgery done. I'm paying $500 at this point for x-rays, bloodwork and an IV with antibiotics but I had to borrow money to cover part of that and I can't handle any more. Reassure me, guys :'(

My grandma's cat got out last spring, went into the neighbor's yard, and one of their dogs got him. Abner had a broken jaw, minor puncture wounds, and bruised lungs. He was put on a pain patch for about a week and sat around completely dopey. The bite abscessed and he ended up with a drain in it, but he recovered completely. They shaved most of him to make sure he didn't have bites elsewhere. Here are a couple pics!

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Is there anything that works for keeping cats out of bedrooms with no doors? Girlfriend and I would like to enjoy private time without the furry brats jumping on the bed when we need it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

2508084 posted:

Installing a door sounds less complicated

Sadly, installing a door in a cinderblock apartment from the late 1940s seems low on the list of maintenance's priorities. loving rentals.

Sticking them in the bathroom will have to work.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You might have luck over in Critter Quest

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Google your city and TNR to find what groups exist. They won't charge you but may ask you to either help place traps or bring the traps to their location once cats are in them. I volunteer with one and all cats that spend a lot of time outside without visible signs of ownership, called community cats, can get picked up, spayed or neutered, eartipped, and released. They're also generally given rabies shots while they're sedated and injured animals usually get the medical care they need.

Snipping an ear tip is the universal "this cat has been fixed" signal and our group actually advises that outdoor cats with owners get it done as a way to prevent them getting needlessly trapped again.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Animals in the wild die from that poo poo. She can look up charities that'll help if she can find a cheaper quote, or the charity may work with vets to get a lower price. I know because last year one of my old lady cats needed teeth pulled and a local vet removed 6 for the estimate of removing 3. Charity paid $300, we only had to cover the difference of like $70. That covered sedation for the procedure, pain meds, and post-op antibiotics. Nothing was skimped on and a year later she's still trucking along and eating wonderfully.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Herp thread will have the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The thread had house spiders, not pet inverts. There's never enough sustainable interest in invert threads as the forums age and more people stick to Reddit and Facebook.