Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I wonder if somebody might have a tip or trick for me. My mom's dumb old dog scraped her paw on a rock at the beach about 5 months ago and hasn't left the wound alone since. She habitually licks and chews at it, not giving it a chance to fully heal. My mom is classically "too nice" to the dog and insisted for months that a pet cone wasn't necessary, she could just keep an eye on the dog and stop her from licking it, etc. Obviously it didn't work and I finally got her to put the drat cone on this dog. The problem is that my mom is a 65 year old lady with a slightly foggy brain who forgets to put the cone back on after letting the dog out, letting her eat, or whatever other reason she takes the cone off the dog for (she is too nice to the dog.) Earlier today this cost us about a week of healing progress as the dog was left alone without the cone for 15 minutes and chewed the scab back open. I really need this thing to heal up.

Does anybody know a good solution to this besides or in addition to the cone? My mom says the dog has chewed through bandages and ignores the supposedly foul tasting stuff she's applied for this purpose. I googled around but I figured folks here might have some good suggestions.

A photo of the idiot in question:

Hello, friend. I think you should talk to your mom's physician about her fogginess.

The cone of shame is a safe, inexpensive, and effective way to deal with letting the wound heal. I think the problem you need to address is the "too nice" problem you mentioned twice. Speaking as a pet owner whose mom is in the late stages of Alzheimer's, my approach here would be to figure out the situations where she's removing the cone, and make a big enough to those changes that she'd instead have to figure out how to work around the change. That could mean putting the food bowl on a pedestal, changing the type of collar to something your mom can't easily figure out how to unlatch, etc.

Just realized this cone of shame might not attach to the collar? You might be able to punch some holes into it so that it can attach with twist ties or something, that might be a pretty good deterrent to removing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU