Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
We took 2 cats on a drive halfway across the country twice (2 days each time) first time also with 2 rats and 2nd time with 2 gerbils.

Petfriendly hotels do exist they usually will require a deposit or something but besure to call a head and make sure and book before you leave. We just snuck out pets in anyway since it was late and each time we didn't have to pass the front desk with them.

We tried drugging the cats with something the first time (Diphenhydramine maybe? I forget) along with feliaway spray on blankets in the carriers. Never going to drug again, I felt so horrible the cat drooled a lot and just looked a ful, didn't bother trying the second cat. I'd say just try feliaway spray or collars. Might not do anything but they stopped howling from tiring themselves out after an hour or so.

We tried stopping after 6 or so hours the first time to give water but they were too scared. And that just started the howling again because we woke them up. They drank at the hotel at the hotel at halfway point. Second move we didn't bother stopping until hotel. Just stop nightly and let the eat drink pee/poop then I would say. I wouldn't put food in the carriers other than maybe shoving a treat in once in a while they may not eat it and if they do eat, anything more is probably asking for lots of vomit.

Also have someone there to talk to them softly give them fingerpets without opening carriers too - that can help calm them a little

E: just noticed you said 3 adults so only 1 car can have someone to specifically pay attention to the cats. I'd say the mostly elderly cats go with the car that has the extra person in it (I'm assuming you and your so?). Along with the. Ones that are the whiniest during vet trips. If there are several elderly they go with the car that has extra person over the whiney ones.

redreader posted:

Anyone got any tips for moving 6 cats across the country for a 3 day drive? We'll be driving since we have 2 cars, 2 kids, probably 3 adults (a friend helping drive) and 6 cats. One of the cars can probably hold 3 cat carriers and the other one can hold more in the open-to-the-rest-of-the-car trunk

I suppose I'm asking for tips like:
-do pet friendly hotels exist
-should we drug them or something with benadryl? (if not, great! I just want to know if there's any kind of recommendation)
-should we put food in their carriers?
-how often should we stop for food/water/poo
-how... do we do food/water/poo when stopping not at a hotel, like for a random break when we want the cats to take a poo

We expect it to be hellish.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU