Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have three cats which are all acting fine. After the morning feed (we feed them twice: dry food 7 in the morning and wet food at 8pm), there has been runny poo or puke on the floor for the last 4 days. They're normally great with doing stuff in the catboxes.

All three cats are acting totally normal.

The only change is that we switched from one wet food to another, one of the 'top tier' canned foods from this thread. They've eaten it before without a problem. The puke/poo contains the morning kibble, it's not after the new canned evening wet food feed.

Recommendations? Should we take all three to the vet, or wait a bit, do something specific, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Plus_Infinity posted:

My cat did this a couple weeks ago. The vet said if you can see undigested kibble it's puke. He had a hairball that he threw up and it irritated his stomach and he kept puking for a few days. The vet gave him some fluid injections to keep him hydrated and said to feed him small meals throughout the day and lots of water. If you don't know which cat is sick separate them and feed them all smaller more frequent meals.

I refilled the water last night, my girlfriend fed them this morning and they're ok today. When feeding them last night I also took the greedy cat, who eats other cats' food, away from the food when he finished his and moved onto theirs.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I am extremely fascinated by raccoons. Is there any place in the USA that has some kind of 'raccoon zoo', preferably a petting zoo? Yeah I've heard they can be dangerous. I also know this is a really strange question. I grew up in a raccoonless country so I don't hate them as much as ... everyone else in the USA does.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I doubt there are any petting zoos that allow you to cuddle raccoons because they can be mean as poo poo and are rabies vectors but lots of nature centers and zoos with "north american wildlife" sorts of exhibits have them. Since they are so common many end up in need of rehabilitation and some can't be released and are used as education animals.

Thanks! So basically, even with tame ones it's "look, don't touch"? Oh well. If I could remake the universe, raccoons would be as friendly as friendly dogs. :unsmith:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Van Dis posted:

Thanks, but the cat is definitely gonna continue to be allowed in the bedroom. What I'm looking for, which I grant may not exist, is any sort of bed stuff that in any way ameliorates the cat hair issue.

We use allerpet c and it works. It takes time to be effective and you still have to wash your bedding like at least once a week if you have cats, and make sure to vacuum the house regularly and clean the couch covers a lot, but after doing all of that and possibly washing your pillows in the washing machine (I did this recently, didn't know you can wash feather pillows) and using this stuff, our allergies are WAY better. Another thing that has been invaluable is This robot vacuum running 3 days a week. The weekend we got it and ran it for the first time it made us so very, very allergic, since we didn't have the pet hepa filter version and there was a lot of stuff under the bed since the cats liked hanging out there. Now it keeps us on a less allergic baseline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone got any tips for moving 6 cats across the country for a 3 day drive? We'll be driving since we have 2 cars, 2 kids, probably 3 adults (a friend helping drive) and 6 cats. One of the cars can probably hold 3 cat carriers and the other one can hold more in the open-to-the-rest-of-the-car trunk

I suppose I'm asking for tips like:
-do pet friendly hotels exist
-should we drug them or something with benadryl? (if not, great! I just want to know if there's any kind of recommendation)
-should we put food in their carriers?
-how often should we stop for food/water/poo
-how... do we do food/water/poo when stopping not at a hotel, like for a random break when we want the cats to take a poo

We expect it to be hellish.