Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I want a pet but I have a lot of challenges, mentally, picking the right one. If anyone could help, even just to tell me that I'm being unrealistic in some aspect, it would do me a lot of good.

Ideally I want an animal that I can play with in some regard - for example, I really like turtles but I'm not sure to what regard you can just hang out with a turtle sitting on you without both of you being uncomfortable. Snakes are cool but I'm not sure if I like the idea of feeding a creature to another creature. I may just have to get over this...
In the same vein, it would be best for both of us if the critter was not nocturnal.
As per my wife's rules, it also has to be primarily cage-bound (i.e. no cats or dogs). Livestock and animals that live outdoors are prohibited in my area, unfortunately.

I have contemplated getting a pair of rats but I hear their lifespan is rather short, and I'm not sure I want to get invested in an animal that's not bound to be alive for too long.

Are there any ideas? Is it as simple as "get a guinea pig" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Box turtles have a ton of personality but in terms of them chilling on your lap, probably not.

Guinea pigs (2) might be a good thing to look into. Plus you'll eat healthier with all the veges you buy for them too.

Thanks! I have decided on guinea pigs and am working on getting a spot set up for them ✌️ they aren't 100% what I wanted but they check enough boxes and will be a good place for me to get started.