Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hello~
A few days ago, a hibernating paper wasp foundress crawled from my ceiling into my warm bright kitchen. We’ve been experiencing march cold snaps here, so I have her in a container with airholes, bedding, some honey, and a cap of sugar water. I’m under the assumption that the warmth of my home has brought her out of hibernation slightly early, as the new foliage- and her caterpillars, aren’t here yet. She was dozy at first but she’s become more active in the daylight. When would be the responsible time to let her outside? Should I keep her in the dark so she stays more dormant until then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I want a pet but I have a lot of challenges, mentally, picking the right one. If anyone could help, even just to tell me that I'm being unrealistic in some aspect, it would do me a lot of good.

Ideally I want an animal that I can play with in some regard - for example, I really like turtles but I'm not sure to what regard you can just hang out with a turtle sitting on you without both of you being uncomfortable. Snakes are cool but I'm not sure if I like the idea of feeding a creature to another creature. I may just have to get over this...
In the same vein, it would be best for both of us if the critter was not nocturnal.
As per my wife's rules, it also has to be primarily cage-bound (i.e. no cats or dogs). Livestock and animals that live outdoors are prohibited in my area, unfortunately.

I have contemplated getting a pair of rats but I hear their lifespan is rather short, and I'm not sure I want to get invested in an animal that's not bound to be alive for too long.

Are there any ideas? Is it as simple as "get a guinea pig" or something?

I've read that some species of turtle are quite playful, as far as reptiles go. Apparently when you've got a shell and can hide in a lake, you have a lot of free time and energy for "play behavior," which in turtle terms, means climbing on things and chasing balls around I guess.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Install a pet flap with a microchip reader into your parents' bedroom door, and only register the dog for access.
As a bonus, this will keep raccoons and possums out of your parents' bedroom as well.