Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

My old family dog (an 11-year old beagle mix) just had one of her front legs amputated
Years ago my family had a blue heeler that had to have a front leg amputated. After about 2 days recovery (all that he could stand) he was back to jumping in & out of the truck. He had to figure out new approaches to obstacles but he was just as active an happy as he was before. I'm sure your dog will just have to take stairs more slowly at first but after awhile he won't have any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is really minor, and not quite as relevant now that it's spring, but is there any way to make it so that petting my cat in winter isn't a painful mess of static electricity?

Get a humidifier.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vespertine posted:

Okay, I have no idea what's going on with my dog and the vet didn't have any answers for me either.

I'm sorry that happened.

Can you leave the crate door open while you are gone? It may take some dog proofing but a 3 yr old dog may be out of the hard-core chewing destruction phase.

Also read Patricia McConnell's separation anxiety book if you think it may be that. That book helped with me with my dog. She came with SA from the shelter though so I don't know how quickly she developed it. It does seem odd that your dog did this out of the blue.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cota Froise posted:

I'm wondering if the problem could be solved by forking over more utility money and keeping the heat on?

You will only make the air drier by increasing the temperature (unless you have a whole house humidifier that you can adjust). You could get a small humidifier for the room and that would make a big difference.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
One of our kittens had ringworm and the vet gave us a topical treatment. I did not do any extra cleaning or disinfecting and I didn't isolate the infected cat. None of our other pets caught it and we did not catch it. It really was not a big deal.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
If your dog isn't injured then you should just give in and get them their own couch.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have ended up living with four cats, two sets of siblings; one set that are adult cats and one set that are still fairly young. The young cats are at times quite aggressive towards the adults and the adults having previously led quite sheltered and pampered lives can't deal with this particularly well, especially the older tom who despite being three times the size of either of the little cats is a giant wuss. Is there anything that I can be doing to reduce the aggression of the small cats?

If you can play with them regularly it will help with the aggression. We have the same age mix and we learned to kick the young cats out of our room at night because they are lousy bedmates. This gives the oldsters time to relax and the young cats keep each other company.

Do you have perches and hiding spots available?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

We have a couple perches/hiding spots; I bought one of those cat trees and there's a variety of tall furniture that the older ones like to sit/hide on in some of the bedrooms, there's a bunk bed in my gf's son's room that the older tom Ralph particularly loves, do you think we could do with some more?

More is always better, of course. Try to see if there are certain places where attacks occur the most and add perches or shelves there. We carry our scaredy cat down the stairs if the young ones are being pests since there's not any easy way to bypass the stairs. Make sure you have litter boxes in multiple locations, litter ambushes can be messy :argh:

If you want to go cat crazy look at Catification by Jackson Galaxy.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
It will probably heal fine on its own. I wouldn’t make him wear the Ecollar at the kennel though, it will add stress and isn’t necessary if he’s leaving it alone.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We made the decision to put my dog down before a vacation. She was old and on meds, etc. but the timing was partly just for our convenience. I made sure the week leading up to it was full of as many of her favorite things as she was still able to enjoy so that helped a bit with my feelings of guilt.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Have you tried making your own broth? Take whatever meat you have and boil it for a while in a bunch of water, no need to add veggies or anything. Ground beef, chicken, whatever. The fats and cooking smells may make him more excited about it than canned broth.

If you use boneless meat then you can feed him that along with the broth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

Ok, so... I made the ground beef water, and he did indeed have some after some coaxing. Which is good. But..
I'm a little worried it's too high in fat.
Don't want to upset his stomach.
At the same time don't want him dehydrated.

Thoughts?

You can skim off the fat after it’s it’s in the fridge for a while. Even without the fat, if you heat it a little bit to make it give off more aroma and that would help with appetite.

Is he eating anything? Something carby like rice or bread would help with any upset stomach, I would think. My dogs love crackers.

If he is still not drinking, you could ask your vet about SubQ fluids to administer at home. If you are comfortable with doing some basic medical stuff it’s not too bad. I used to give them to my kitty with pancreatitis who would not eat or drink when she was sick.