Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
code:
Can anyone give me some advice on having two dogs, both border collies, one male 5 years old (neutered) and a female who I adopted in February, 7 years old, not spayed.

They have been fine together, he tried to mount her when they first met, she told him off and that was that.

I asked Vet about spaying female when I got her and she gave advice it was best to ensure she was definitely past being in heat before doing so, as a result we have waited until we knew.

We were given advice to watch for blood spotting, over licking or nesting which we have been watching out for but the male told us she was in heat by going absolutely insane today.

He hasn't tried to mount her yet but he is definitely informing us that she is in season.

Reading online, this is due to last two weeks so I am looking for advice on keeping both happy.

Should we separate them?
Should we keep her in the house throughout?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Charles posted:

Not sure why a vet would give you advice to wait to get her spayed.
code:
The advice was that if I got her spayed while she was in season, it could lead to an ongoing phantom pregnancy style situation.

Two separate Vets stated this as I switched practises during the last six months.