Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
One of our cats, George, has been missing for three weeks. He finally showed up today (cue me jumping up and down with excitement when I got the phone call)... I'm currently not home (in college) but should I tell the people at home to take him to the vet? We have other cats and I'm worried he could have picked something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
My boyfriend wants to get a small dog - a hypoallergenic one due to his roommates having allergies, so I recommended a havanese, shih tzu, or chinese crested to him. I'm mostly familiar with shih tzus, but I was wondering which one of these breeds would be easiest to housebreak?

He would really prefer a smarter, non-yappy, but small dog. Any suggestions?

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

I actually already suggested a poodle to him and he adamantly refused, was pretty funny.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

I've been arguing with my mom about her Sphynx cat. I told her the vets at work have talked to me about switching my cats to a wet diet, and I told her to do the same for her cat. I've only since learned about the reasons why recently, and I feel pretty guilty for being so ignorant.

Anyway, my mom is outright refusing, saying that the cat gets enough water and that they need more water than other cats. Which of course doesn't make sense. I've explained to her that cats have a lower thirst drive so feeding wet food should be even more important to her, but she doesn't get it so will talk to her breeder who apparently knows more than all the vets at my animal hospital. Her breeder feeds a hairball formula dry food to all her cats.

Not only that, but her cat is overweight and she doesn't believe me, and insists it in his breed to be overweight. How do I convince her otherwise? She won't listen to me.

This is the lady who has a shepadoodle or whatever, the german shepherd/poodle holy terror mix. Meanwhile her poor shih-tzu is terrified of other dogs, and is being neglected. :(

Carebear fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 17, 2009

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Also another random question, does Allerpet work?

http://www.allerpet.com/products/product3.htm

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Sorry, have another random question!

Today someone at work said that we can't have linens in the cat cages that are in the room (only newspaper) that holds cats with illnesses like ringworm, because the "spores will multiply."

Is this just retarded or am I missing something?

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

nonanone posted:

This is right, like Meow Cadet said, ringworm is actually fungus, and it can be spread through mediums like clothes and towels (or sweaty gym mats). So if you were to use [nice porous, moisture gathering] towels, you're more likely to spread it to all the other animals and people too.

Thanks for the information! :)

The whole "spores" thing weirded me out I guess. That's the only fungus that was down there though, not sure what the other cats have.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

I was wondering if someone could link me to something describing how a cat's eye pops out of its socket due to untreated infection in the eyes (this is what has been described to me as the reason). I keep seeing this at work (so far mostly in kittens), and they get enucleations done (or that surgery where they put one of the eyelids over the eye, any information on that?), and we got a really bad one today. I'd like to read about it, but I can't seem to find any information that could teach me more about this condition.

Oh, pictures for the curious.

:nms:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/carawombat/1016091551.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/carawombat/photo.jpg
:nms:

Also, is it bad that this absolutely does not gross me out?

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Brennanite posted:

Strangest question ever, but what do you guys do for litterbox liners? My cat seemingly delights in shredding the liner in her box. Any suggestions?

My favorite litterbox liners are the jumbo Jonnycat ones, actually. They seem to be the hardest for the cats to tear up.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3121635

Unfortunately the closest petstores to me don't have them so I haven't been using any liners which isn't too bad, but honestly the Jonny Cat have worked fairly well for me.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you find a banded bird outside, how would you go about finding the owner?

Edit: Specifically a white dove.

I think it may be a release dove, so there's probably not much chance at all here.

Carebear fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 22, 2010

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Rodent Mortician posted:

However, since I became the shelter's de facto pigeon loon, I've learned that a lot of pigeon fanciers (upon receiving a "found bird" call) will come, pick up the bird, take it home, and break it's neck for sucking at homing.

The birds wings are clipped, so maybe it wasn't a release pigeon.

And also, the bird is a total sweetheart so I couldn't imagine anyone doing that, regardless of the fact its a pigeon. :(

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

My cat keeps knocking water glasses over that are on my boyfriend's desk. He refuses to not leave them there, and gets mad at me every single time. :rolleyes: So apparently NOT leaving glasses by his desk isn't an option because he's a stubborn rear end in a top hat. Does anyone have any ideas of some sort of container that could hold a glass and she couldn't knock over?

Oh, and I've tried the cat water fountain thing so she has fresh water, but this does nothing to help.

Carebear fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 27, 2010

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

My first cat was trained to not go on the counter, but not subsequent cats. I really don't mind them being up there. When I tell them to get down they do. Sometimes they DO get in the way, though...

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

My sister's cat had an issue with his anal glads, I think. I went to her apartment today and looked at him and his butt was a little leaky and smelled like anal glands. Apparently this has been going on for a while. Should I take him to work and have a vet look at him, or is it something as simple as his glands needing to be expressed?

She won't admit it, but I think this has been happening ever since he gained a lot of weight. He's a really nervous/agitated cat and has anxiety issues as well.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

I need to shave my fat cat. He's on a diet (eats 2 meals of evo a day, has to jump to top of cat tree to get it) but partly due to genetics (ragdoll) he's a fatass and doesn't groom his back or butt well. Ragdolls aren't supposed to mat, but apparently he developed the retard fur from his father, and is a matting machine. I take the furminator to him constantly, but he still gets mats and a poopy rear end. He also really hates being brushed. So, I want to shave him.

Question is, what kind of electric razor do you guys recommend? I've never bought one before, so I don't know what to do look for. Specifically, are there any good ones for pets? I don't want to break my wallet, but I don't want one that will fall apart.

Also- any tips for shaving cats? I've only very little experience shaving animals while they are sedated before surgery. Even though Nathan is a ragdoll, he's still a little brat about being held down and groomed and such. I really hate stressing him out - I know this sounds weird, but he's really sensitive. :rolleyes: Any advice would be great.

Carebear fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 13, 2010

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

I came to post to the rat thread about a new exotics vet at my hospital, and something came to me. I was wondering if we should create some sort of PI database for veterinarians that we've had experiences with. I've seen this done on other forums and it can be helpful, especially if you are new to an area. I personally haven't liked every veterinarian my animals have seen, and others I have absolutely loved. We could also include veterinarians or hospitals to watch out for.

If people are interested, maybe someone could make a thread that could be updated with people's responses? Maybe include some sort of form for people to fill out, like this:

Comments:

Or something? Maybe someone could make a better form if they decide to jump on my idea and create a thread. :)

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Definitely retest her when she is 6 months old, basically when you bring her in for a spay, have them retest then. As for having an FIV+ cat.. they can live a fairly healthy life. I have coworkers who have healthy and happy FIV+ cats.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Fatty Patty posted:

sooo my dog's poop has some red fabric in it. I know what toy its from, and I'm pretty sure he pooped out all of it. What are some signs I should look for just in case there's some left behind?

Foreign body symptoms might include lethargy, vomiting, and dehydration. If you see any of those, take him to the vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

Jabarto posted:

Would anyone be interested in a dedicated pet invertebrates thread? I breed isopods and millipedes but there doesn't seem to be much talk about bugs around here.

Scroll down a little, there's a bugs megathread. Currently it consists mostly of spiders. Technically not bugs, so your pets will fit right in.