Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Years back, there was some woman who was dead set on adopting some sort of sheep herding dog as a family pet despite everybody telling her it was a loving terrible idea but she wasn't hearing any of it. A few months later, she turned up on another forum looking to get rid of the dog. If you've been around, you know the story.

What kind of dog was that?

I'm looking to adopt a dog from a shelter and don't want to adopt that breed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Impulsive Bob got his stimulus check and bought a siberian husky from a breeder around May 2020.
3 days later, Bob changed his mind and gave it to his sister.
The sister has a dog that is very protective of her and would attack the husky.
The sister gave the husky to me last September and all is good in the world now.

That's the back story. When I took the husky to the vet a few months ago to get spayed and microchipped, they said she already had a microchip (inserted by the breeder) that had never been registered.

I called the breeder and they gave me the microchip number and said all I had to do is go online and register it. They recommended using buddyid.com. Is that the route I should use or is there a better way to register the microchip? As I understand it, different registrars use different databases, so I don't really understand how that works.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

bones 4 beginners posted:

I have a 6 year old shelter dog who is generally fearful and anxious with people who are not me, but happy with dogs around her size. She has allergies to loads of stuff, and we've successfully cut all food allergens we know of and do our best to avoid the environmental ones. She was an itchy little thing but it got mostly better. She doesn't scratch til she bleeds or wake me up with how severely she's itching. Still probably more itchy than the average dog, but much better.

However, she seems to get crazy itchy when she's excited. If we play or it's time for food/walks and she gets hyped up, she's going to stop to gnaw a bit on her legs, or scratch herself a bunch. I feel a little bad for her but I have no idea how to even begin doing anything about it, or if it's even necessary. It's not like she ends up with scratches and scabs like she used to, it just seems uncomfortable and like it's linked to her level of excitement.

Check with your vet, but Benadryl might be a good option. From what I have read, it is safe for dogs.