Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I have never repaired something that heavy, but it seems like you're on the right track with heavy duty thread and needle. The only thing will be that that thing was sewn before it was stuffed. Stitching it with the fabric under tension from the stuffing might be a huge headache. A curved upholstery needle might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I’ve had to fix a weird variety of things and have some suggestions.

*note, I suggest materials that absolutely require proper ventilation.

Since it’s vinyl, I’d secure the patch with rubber cement or similar, then stitch the edges using an upholstery needle, just to prevent that annoying edge peel up that adhesive only solutions get. Potentially finish with another glue like e6000 over the stitches, depending on if it looks like the vinyl may tear where the new stitches puncture the fabric, or if I just want that edge extra secured.

The rubber cement makes it easier to fit the patch, but also (more importantly) distributes any forces evenly across a larger area, making your patch far stronger, particularly with vinyls.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, I was suggested by a dude at the gym to try a adhessive vinyl patch used for repairing couches and the like.

I don't have much faith in it because I doubt the adhesive is meant for that amount of stretching forces applied, but I'll try it for giggles and when the patch fails I'll go with that suggested glue + stiching idea. I'll report back for thread content :D

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Sounds like a good start, plus you can build up a good idea of what you want as different fixes fail in their own unique ways.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I've started darning my socks and I love this.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What the heck is this presser foot called and what is it used for?

I think it goes on the sewing machine like this, but that's all I've been able to figure out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Maybe an old darning or free motion foot?

The PatternReview forums might know. If no one else has an idea I can try asking there for you (or you can yourself; it's a nice community).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

effika posted:

The PatternReview forums might know. If no one else has an idea I can try asking there for you (or you can yourself; it's a nice community).

Yeah that's the closest I could think of. They usually have a more circular opening though.

The spring arm bit could be for putting over the needle screw to lift the foot when the needle lifts, like in a walking foot, but it seems like it's in the wrong place.

I almost wonder if it isn't missing pieces.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am repairing my daughter's 33-year-old Teddy. He needs a lot of work. He was originally stuffed with wads of cotton. I want to restuff him with something that has the same sturdy, weighty feel. He should give when hugged, but you shouldn't be able to flatten his body between your hands.

Does anybody have suggestions for a stuffing? I worry that polyfill will be too light. The little plastic beads you use to stuff pincushions and such would be way, way overkill.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

effika posted:

You were right! I bought a PDF of the sewing machine's manual for $4 and there it is:

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am repairing my daughter's 33-year-old Teddy. He needs a lot of work. He was originally stuffed with wads of cotton. I want to restuff him with something that has the same sturdy, weighty feel. He should give when hugged, but you shouldn't be able to flatten his body between your hands.

Does anybody have suggestions for a stuffing? I worry that polyfill will be too light. The little plastic beads you use to stuff pincushions and such would be way, way overkill.

Shredded memory foam maybe?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My first thought was rolled-up towels or rags, with polyfill to smooth out the edges. I don't know if it would work in reality though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well as expected just a patch didnt work out, I applied it and over night the weight of the arm ripped the patch off the vinyl. So gonna have to go with the glue+sewing strat.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Any reason you don't want to just put fresh cotton stuffing in him?

It might make a difference how big he is. If he's a bigger guy, shredded memory foam with poly batting encapsulating it, for the body at least, will probably get you the right mix of weight and squish. To some extent, squishability is a function of how much you stuff in there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BonerGhost posted:

Any reason you don't want to just put fresh cotton stuffing in him?

It might make a difference how big he is. If he's a bigger guy, shredded memory foam with poly batting encapsulating it, for the body at least, will probably get you the right mix of weight and squish. To some extent, squishability is a function of how much you stuff in there.
I've found wool stuffing but not cotton; I didn't think of cotton because I am silly. He's only a foot tall.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You were right! I bought a PDF of the sewing machine's manual for $4 and there it is:

Lolwut? A vibrator...

Do ... do you have a video of it in action?

I'm guessing the machine was from an era before zigzag stitch became standard, so that was one way to get a side to side darning stitch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man this thread moves slowly lol. I was gonna go back and search for that post to reply to it, but, well...

The foot is for a Husqvarna sewing machine I've been fixing up over the last several weeks, and I've got it working really nicely now. So I was able to try it out and film a video!

"Vibrator" appears to be Swedeglish for the bouncy spring mechanism. To use the foot you set the pressure foot tension to zero, so it has only the light return spring holding it up. When the needle bar goes down, the needle retaining screw hits the little torsion spring, pushes the foot down while the stitch is being formed, then lets it pop back up afterwards. So the function is the same as modern darning feet, just with a torsion spring instead of a coil.

https://i.imgur.com/Pmaep9K.mp4

As you can see I don't have any idea what I'm doing with free-motion darning, but at least this shows how the foot works :dumb:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 23, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Wow that looks like a great way to sew your thumb.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense.

Looks very smooth though. I wonder if there are benefits to the bar over the spring. (Then again my point of reference for a free motion foot is a modern one made of plastic.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Finished a quilt :toot: It's for a friend's baby who is due at the end of the year.

The front is Atomic Starburst by Violet Craft, featuring a number of thrifted/secondhand fabrics and three different shades of beige because I bought the first shade at the thrift store, ran out, tried to buy more on eBay but it didn't match, and finally bought the third shade in a store by guessing what color I needed.

The stars are done with a technique called paper piecing, in which you sew fabric onto a sheet of paper and then rip the paper off, leaving you with a perfectly pieced complex shape.

It's all wonky because everything is cut on the bias and it stretched out as I put everything together. When I make another one, I'm gonna starch the crap out of it.

The back is a piece of tie dye I did with a combination of Japanese sekka shibori and ice dye, bordered with beige #3. You can really see how askew it is there.

I did the quilting myself on my Pfaff. It's just diagonal lines.

Overall, I really love how it turned out. The recipient requested "soft rainbow" and "vintage" and I believe I delivered.

I'll make one for myself eventually, but I have like three other things I want to do first.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

That came out so well! The multiple beiges look like a very intentional design choice. And the piecing on those stars is really solid.

That shibori came out super nicely too. How did you set up the ice dyeing? I've done sekka shibori, and am familiar with ice dyeing, but am still struggling to picture the combination.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Finished a quilt :toot: It's for a friend's baby who is due at the end of the year.

The front is Atomic Starburst by Violet Craft, featuring a number of thrifted/secondhand fabrics and three different shades of beige because I bought the first shade at the thrift store, ran out, tried to buy more on eBay but it didn't match, and finally bought the third shade in a store by guessing what color I needed.

The stars are done with a technique called paper piecing, in which you sew fabric onto a sheet of paper and then rip the paper off, leaving you with a perfectly pieced complex shape.

It's all wonky because everything is cut on the bias and it stretched out as I put everything together. When I make another one, I'm gonna starch the crap out of it.

The back is a piece of tie dye I did with a combination of Japanese sekka shibori and ice dye, bordered with beige #3. You can really see how askew it is there.

I did the quilting myself on my Pfaff. It's just diagonal lines.

Overall, I really love how it turned out. The recipient requested "soft rainbow" and "vintage" and I believe I delivered.

I'll make one for myself eventually, but I have like three other things I want to do first.

I didn't even notice it was skewed until I saw the back, but then I was distracted by how cool the tie dye came out!

I think it's great! I love the vintage vibe from the starbursts.

I just started getting into quilting and foundation paper piecing like that. And if you like stars....Be sure to join the Carol Doak paper piecing stars Facebook group. They have a HUGE library of free paper pieced stars available.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That came out so well! The multiple beiges look like a very intentional design choice. And the piecing on those stars is really solid.

That shibori came out super nicely too. How did you set up the ice dyeing? I've done sekka shibori, and am familiar with ice dyeing, but am still struggling to picture the combination.

I don't have a picture, but it works basically like this instagram reel https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd_kZeYJNbm/ except instead of a nice wooden rack to drape the folded fabric over, I had a wire basket and a bunch of knitting needles.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Deleted because I can't get the photo to upload.

Arc Rectifier
Mar 25, 2007

Because AC won't rectify itself.
hello thread, I am about to embark on babby's first actual adventure using an extant garment to create a pattern for a new one and I need reassurance I'm not loving this up hilariously.

Background: I've been sewing since I was little; I learned on my mom's 80s-vintage Singer, which is why I don't know how to use machines with the vertical bobbin carriage* setup. I worked in the costume shop at college where I first (and for the only time so far) got to play with a goddamned serger AND a Bernina sewing machine. For a very long time I didn't have a machine at all, so I did everything by hand, and then I got a crazy deal on a Singer heavy-duty. This thing is a tank. I love it.

The issue I face with construction is not "can you sew" so much as "how can you make this commercial pattern, none of the versions of which fit you at all, actually fit you so that the garment you sew from it has a chance of not looking horrible" and the answer to that seems inescapably "you can't, find something that DOES fit and copy it". Most of the sewing I do is alterations of extant garments so they either fit better or can be used in cosplay. My best one to date is a 3-button Ann Taylor notch-collar women's blazer turned into a man's high-collared military tunic entirely by hand. I don't know how to draft a pattern that does fit me, since I have deeply annoying proportions, and I don't have a dress form: the closest I've come is making a full-arm duct-tape cast for building the Winter Soldier's arm and I am somewhat dubious about trying to do a full-torso version.

So I have this wonderful long flared skirt in shabby-chic cotton made of 8 main trumpet-shaped panels with 18 narrow triangular godets set in 3s between them (and two side seams without godets). It is lined but the liner is a very simple A-line skirt that stops several inches above the hem of the main skirt. I want to copy this thing in several different fabrics. I have traced both the panel and the godet onto tracing paper, cut them out, looked at them, made some decisions, and then copied them to regular pattern paper, added seam allowances, and cut out the pattern pieces. The side zipper in the original is not invisible, I can probably manage to set it in decently well, and any major fit issues can be fixed simply by adjusting the seams between panels, since I'm not reproducing the wide waistband of the original. I have not yet cut out my pieces because suddenly I am sure I have hosed something up.

My question is: what haven't I taken into account? I've added the seam allowances to all the pieces. I got my iron and ironing board ready to press my seams. The amount of fabric I've bought (after doing a bunch of topology) should be sufficient to fit all the garment's panels, including the godets; it's completely non-directional, so I can cut out the pieces at any orientation and the pattern will look okay next to the neighboring pieces; it's a nice easy-to-sew batik cotton with a matching plain cotton for lining; I should be able to knock this out in a few hours of cutting, pinning, and sewing. There's no complicated technique involved at all other than putting in the zipper, and I can do that by hand if I have to. I'm just wondering if there's something hideously obvious I haven't remembered since it's been several years since I did any construction.

*otherwise known as the astromech droid, the cryhole, and the arc reactor, if anyone else remembers that diagram

Arc Rectifier fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 13, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I mean, it sounds pretty straightforward as a pattern - everything just sits flat, and the most complicated things are the waistband and zipper.

But ... if you're worried that you screwed something up, first cut and sew a pattern out of muslin (don't bother with hems). That way you can be sure, and you also get a chance to fine-tune the fit. (It makes sense to do this anyway since it sounds like you're making a go-to pattern.)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, it sounds pretty straightforward as a pattern - everything just sits flat, and the most complicated things are the waistband and zipper.

But ... if you're worried that you screwed something up, first cut and sew a pattern out of muslin (don't bother with hems). That way you can be sure, and you also get a chance to fine-tune the fit. (It makes sense to do this anyway since it sounds like you're making a go-to pattern.)

Definitely this. If you 100% can't do a muslin for some reason, then err on the side of "too big" wherever possible, then do a trial fit before you finish all the hems etc. You can always cut away extra fabric but you can't always piece it back on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The part I always gently caress up is tracing/drafting right side up when I'm going to be working the fabric wrong side out.

Best case I have a bunch of marks that I can't easily see while working, worst case it completely slips my mind and I have a wrong-side-out and mirrored result.

This goes triple for appliqués. They are the bane of my existence.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I'm hosting an outdoor party in early December. I'd like to offer guests some kind of warm-wear as they arrive but it needs to be one-size-fits-most, inexpensive (less than $10 each) and as close to no-sew as possible (I have a machine, but I'm also a bit short on time, and I'm not highly skilled.) I'm thinking about a basic poncho - a fleece throw with a hole in the middle and some seam binding around the neck. But I'm not a personal fan of wearing ponchos, so I would rather have some kind of front closure.

Can I just get a throw blanket (or use a thrift-store comforter as my fabric, something to get me a roughly throw-sized material piece), cut a hole in the center, cut from neck to hem (starting at the corner, maybe, so it has some style), and then attach a zipper or buttons or frogs or something? That feels like it would look really cheap and I'd like this to have some re-wear value for people, even if just as a TV-on-the-couch thing.

I'm massively overthinking this, I know.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'm hosting an outdoor party in early December. I'd like to offer guests some kind of warm-wear as they arrive but it needs to be one-size-fits-most, inexpensive (less than $10 each) and as close to no-sew as possible (I have a machine, but I'm also a bit short on time, and I'm not highly skilled.) I'm thinking about a basic poncho - a fleece throw with a hole in the middle and some seam binding around the neck. But I'm not a personal fan of wearing ponchos, so I would rather have some kind of front closure.

Can I just get a throw blanket (or use a thrift-store comforter as my fabric, something to get me a roughly throw-sized material piece), cut a hole in the center, cut from neck to hem (starting at the corner, maybe, so it has some style), and then attach a zipper or buttons or frogs or something? That feels like it would look really cheap and I'd like this to have some re-wear value for people, even if just as a TV-on-the-couch thing.

I'm massively overthinking this, I know.

You've already got a fun idea with thrifting, for the time it takes to secure material you could get a bunch of oversized jackets and blankets from thrift stores.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
True; Wal-Mart likely has pre-made hoodies that are equally inexpensive (have you seen the prices at Goodwill lately?) but the problem is sizing. I don't know for sure who is coming, or anyone's sizes. But I can at least browse!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Extra large all around, if it's just for sitting outside around the fire. Big and loose is comfy

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Arc Rectifier posted:

My question is: what haven't I taken into account? I've added the seam allowances to all the pieces. I got my iron and ironing board ready to press my seams. The amount of fabric I've bought (after doing a bunch of topology) should be sufficient to fit all the garment's panels, including the godets; it's completely non-directional, so I can cut out the pieces at any orientation and the pattern will look okay next to the neighboring pieces

Look at the grain on the original skirt. Make sure that everything will drape properly if you do end up cutting some pieces cross-grain or god forbid bias.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

True; Wal-Mart likely has pre-made hoodies that are equally inexpensive (have you seen the prices at Goodwill lately?) but the problem is sizing. I don't know for sure who is coming, or anyone's sizes. But I can at least browse!

Have you looked into event rentals? You might be able to rent a bunch of blankets, and you can definitely rent patio heaters.

Making a bunch of garments for people to wear one time at an event seems... weird.

Like, just tell people to dress warmly?

Edit: if this is a party favour thing, you'll still get better bang for buck just getting a bunch of polyester fleece blankets and lightly customizing them (eg sewing on a custom patch or something)

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2023

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i couldn't find a jewellery thread, so i'm posting here; how can i, with relative ease, convert a ring into an earring? my mother collects thimbles and earrings, and i thought it might be nice to put a sashiko thimble onto a sleeper hoop for her to wear.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i couldn't find a jewellery thread, so i'm posting here; how can i, with relative ease, convert a ring into an earring? my mother collects thimbles and earrings, and i thought it might be nice to put a sashiko thimble onto a sleeper hoop for her to wear.

I would think so, yeah! I just turned a small necklace pendant into an earring by cannibalizing old earrings I didn't want anymore. You just need a couple small pliers to manipulate the links.

You can also get new jewelry hardware and tools at big box craft stores.

edit; just realized you said "HOW can I"-- I thought you just said "Can I"-- woops!

I just looked up what a sashiko thimble looked like. And it might hang at a weird angle, but you could just make sure the ring part of it didn't come apart by soldering it together, and then just put it in the sleeper hoop. But yeah, if there's a gap in the ring part of the ring, just wanna make sure it's really secure and not gonna get pulled off.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 6, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey I'm doing a silly project, leather wrapping a video game steering wheel. I'm poorboying it with cheap leather, watching YouTube.

I have a few outstanding questions maybe yall can help with. I should just have one seam, at the base or the wheel or top of the wheel. I am concerned about getting my seams to lay flat. I am planning on doing a normal seam and topstitch it on each side with bias tape behind.

Also in going to glue it to the wheel and hand stitch around the inside of the rim. I think that'll all come through fine.

I'd like to put a centerline on the top in contrasting material but I don't have much confidence yet on it, so for now, no. Is it easy to dye a scrap of leather? If it's already been dyed?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Am I seriously misunderstanding how seams work or, why is any seam that gets pressed open taught as anything other than a very bad idea? It seems like that would put all the stress on just a single line of stitches that'd rip basically immediately?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Am I seriously misunderstanding how seams work or, why is any seam that gets pressed open taught as anything other than a very bad idea? It seems like that would put all the stress on just a single line of stitches that'd rip basically immediately?

Nah that's pretty much correct! There are many other much more structurally sound seams. Anything that's gonna take a lot of stress shouldn't be a single pressed open seam. It's just basic so that's probably what people learn when they are beginners.

But they have their time and place. Maybe really nice, laying flat, smooth, decorative kinda places. But I'm not a professional so what do I know!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I wonder how much of that’s because, until relatively recently (last 100 years?), fabric was very expensive and it’s way better that the thread break under stress then the actual fabric. Though even with the cheapness of modern fabric it’s much easier to re-sew a seam than deal with a tear in the fabric.

You could try flat-felled seams if you want something more durable. It’s what’s used for jeans and other more heavy-duty applications.