Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm interested in making clothes for my kids and maybe myself if I enjoy it and can develop the skill for it. I know absolutely nothing about sewing or garment making and the op looks fairly out of date. Any good resources for getting started, ie. Sewing machine choice, other tools needed, books/videos for learning, patterns etc?

I would describe myself as an ambitious amateur and enthusiastic DIYer so I'm willing to dive in at the deep end, as it were. I'm starting from scratch which is unusual for a new hobby for me (other hobbies include beer brewing and rally car racing), but I'm a fast learner and good at teaching myself.

Thanks for any tips/resources!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

A week or two ago I asked for getting started resources, checked out the good stuff you guys recommended and browsed my local textiles store with my daughters (my oldest was in love, she made a list of about 15 fabrics she wanted dresses and tank tops of lol). Think I'm nearly ready to dive in, now all I need is a machine. I browsed fb market and kijiji and I'm really taken with antique singers... how practical would it be to use these for clothes making? I imagine they'd be quite capable and overbuilt, but is there something about modern ones I'd particularly prefer for clothes making? Being a mechanical engineer I'm in love with these classic antique machines and looking on youtube the setup looks fairly similar. Just don't know if I'm missing something from modern ones.

Anyone have experience with these? I'm looking at like 100+ year old ones.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

crossposting from the 3D CAD thread

as a mechanical engineer interested in sewing machines more than the actual act of sewing, this is sick as hell