Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This isn't about making clothes but I'm betting there's people ITT who are in the know about dying corduroy. A web search got me an awful lot of "articles" that I'm about 100% certain were created by so-called AI so I'm not tempted to trust them.

I have an old white corduroy overcoat and I'd like it to not be white. I figure it's mostly cotton - apart from the sleeve lining which is some sort of synthetic poo poo (I've washed it as if it were cotton and it's fine, apart from the labels that are too faded to make out anymore). Any hints, tips, cautions? I've never intentionally dyed anything, but I do have a lot of pink T-shirts that didn't used to be pink.

If I ruin it it's no big deal. Doesn't have sentimental value but it is warm. Also since it's already Spring it doesn't have to be a quick process - I've got until next Autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I really like Jacquard dyes. They make packets called iDye that are really easy to use. If it's a synthetic blend, iDye Poly is the dye you'll need to use. Even if the fabric itself is cotton, the thread is probably synthetic.

Presoak the fabric and then wring it out as best you can. You'll want it damp but not soaking.

When you wash it the first couple times, you might want to use a dye catcher. Definitely don't wash it with anything nice. I usually throw my dyed items in with some old towels.

My old towels are nice :mad:

(But thanks. Hadn't thought about the thread. I guess light stiching wouldn't look too bad.)