Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

Klams Jam posted:

How easy would it for me to take in a winter coat my self? I got it last winter, and over the past year I've lost about a stone and a half, and dropped a dress size. I love my coat but it now looks like a sack on me. :(

Could I just take some darts in at the waist and back, or is there more too it?

Are there already darts in it? You may not want to take in too much more through the darts if there are. Maybe you could take some out through the side seam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Klams Jam posted:

Thing is I'm pretty busty. There's about difference between my bust and my waist.

There aren't any darts in it at the moment. I'm not thinking take in the sides so it fits my bust, then nip the waist a little with darts? I think there's about 4 inches needs to come off the waist.

I was also wondering about the arms - will they look really off if I'm nipping and tucking all over?

I would say shape the side seams first and take take in the waist with darts to fit it more. While you're doing the side seams you can also take it into the sleeve seam if you find the upper arms kinda baggy. If you're concerned about armhole/shoulder seam hanging out past your natural shoulder, you might want to see a tailor since that can be a tricky area to alter (sleeve cap needs to be reshaped).

PK
Apr 30, 2004

RedFish posted:

I'm jealous. I've been searching for local sewing classes in my area (Kitchener-Wterloo Ontario) with no luck; I'm not even sure where I should be looking. Google is not getting me anywhere.

Any ideas?

Have you tried calling your local fabric store? I know the Atlantic Fabrics down here in NS used to have sewing lessons. Some sewing machine stores also host lessons.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

justasmile posted:

I just received some awesome fabric from fabric.com --some super soft jersey knit in a pretty aqua, and a lightweight grey/blue plaid suiting. I'm working on designing my first big items (dress, skirt, maybe a top?), which is pretty exciting for me!

A question for those with older machines, though: when your machine doesn't have the handy 'reverse' function, do you simply turn the fabric around and sew backwards against the seam, or is there another easy way to 'lock' the stitch?

You could take smaller stitches at the start and finish of each seam instead of reversing.