Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mazerunner posted:

I've been trying to find this one sci-fi short story. I read it online.

It was about this dude who was an officer in a space imperium, who was a huge gently caress-up and lost every battle. Except his older brother was a military genius who was leading a campaign to reunite the systems or whatever, but when he came back he tried to take over the empire.

Younger brother beat the older brother by hi-jacking his tactical displays to showcase various failures, and had one fleet focus entirely on killing older brother's fighter pilot girlfriend. Older brother committed suicide in despair, and younger was like, "guess he never learned to fail :smug:"

Firstborn, by Brandon Sanderson

http://www.mayofamily.com/RLM/txt_Sanderson_Firstborn.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Matthew Reilly books are fun as hell, you just have to go in to them expecting the written version of an incredibly stupid action movie.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Wow she really has it in for birds :mad:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Twilkitri posted:

The description puts me a little in mind of the For Eagle Eyes Only series by Rolf Heimann, although it's far from a perfect match.
These books fuckin ruled

The_Doctor posted:

This has all just reminded me of the Usborne Puzzle Adventures, which were very similar in ilk by the sounds of it.

So did these, I had The Usborne Book of Superpuzzles

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ignoranus posted:

I figured it out - it's the "Salvation Sequence" books by Peter F. Hamilton.

Does it feature his usual racism, sexism, enthusiasm for middle-aged (and up) men having sex with girls in their early teens?

I think the best/worst example is the short story The Lives And Loves Of Tiarella Rosa, but that poo poo runs through all of his works.

(the F in his name stands for File)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hughlander posted:

Doing a reread of Martha Wells still, a scene very much like this was in 'Network Effect' where the captain of the transport wants to negotiate to release the protags after they delivered free repair equipment. But in my head it was on a planet and the reversal involved them needing more help. But tentatively I'm thinking I just misremembered Network Effect.

It's also ringing a lot of bells for the most recent in the series, System Collapse.