Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I made a bag for my girlfriend for her birthday on the 7th.
Its all made of duck canvas and the lining is a dark paisley pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Rule .303 posted:

How did you sew it and how did you lay out the pattern?
Its drawn kinda crudely but you get the idea.

Make one for the outside and one for the liner.
But before sewing up the liner put in the pockets. The pocket is basically the process to put in a zippered pocket without the zipper.
So this: http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/02/zippered_inner_.html
After that was all said and done I folded down the top edge of each bag so they were even and then ironed the folds. Then I pinned the outside bag and the liner together while also pinning in the strap that was 2" wide and 36" inches long. I hand sewed the strap on because I dont trust my sewing machine to make a pretty and uniform seam through something like 6 layers of heavy canvas. My hands recommend that you use a thimble during that part. Then finally I hand sewed the liner and its twin together with a pretty wide stitch.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I made a big upright navajo loom a few months ago and now I'm going for a giant floor loom. I'm making blankets.
Its based off this design that I found a few years ago cause the guy who made it was featured in Craft magazine.
I'm keeping the depth the same but I need to increase the width to 6&1/2 feet. My brother and I got most of the wood and started putting it together. This is where we're at.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Im That One Guy posted:

So I made a big upright navajo loom a few months ago and now I'm going for a giant floor loom. I'm making blankets.
Its based off this design that I found a few years ago cause the guy who made it was featured in Craft magazine.
I'm keeping the depth the same but I need to increase the width to 6&1/2 feet. My brother and I got most of the wood and started putting it together. This is where we're at.

Update on this!

Next I need to attach the pedals and lams, then I need to put the counter balance heddle system together.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So an update on my loom project! I got the heddle system setup and I finally started weaving!
I'm using a weave pattern that I made with some weave drafting software.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Wove with some wool and semi-felted it. I started playing with using it with bags. These were me just playing around. I'm still getting a sense of how to work with it. I wish I had some heavy canvas on hand cause i think the weight of it would work better with the felt.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 5, 2014

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I wove myself a camera strap! The green grey is wool and the rest is linen.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
So I've been working on some lined canvas shoulder bags to sell. I'm near the end of making ten of them. Five are finished and two have already been sold.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

UberVexer posted:

Are you selling locally, or online? How are you getting people interested? Seems like chucking something up on Tindie isn't doing it for me.
All of my sales have been local so far. I just setup my Etsy page a few days ago https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmicusGoods. I still have a lot to learn.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've been weaving a lot of wool camera straps and then felting them. They end up super soft and lovely :3:.

And I'm in the middle of felting another three straps.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Got a lathe for christmas and I decided I wanted to make my own buttons.
Here are my first two! They're black walnut and eucalyptus!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Just posted this in the weaving thread and I realized more goons might like to see it. I finished weaving and felting a big sheet wool and decided to make a video documenting the process! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA5Els77xO4

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I finally finished my main project for my Welding Fabrication class!

Its a square steel tube frame with oiled birch shelves. It stands about 5 feet tall.

I made it to match another desk I made as a personal project

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

deoju posted:

Thanks for the advice. it's a little more than 1" at the corners. I've considered sealing it with a matte clear coat of some kind, I'd like to keep a bit of a 'raw' feel to them.

Correction from my previous post: It's the Ennis House, not Eames. https://franklloydwright.org/site/ennis-house/

You could always try coating a little spot on the back to see how it might look. Plaster is porous though so it could soak up a lot of finish.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Deadite posted:

So $300? $400? Again I'm not really that interested in actually selling them so I'm fine with pricing them high. I'm willing to give steep discounts to anyone who will display one in a public way too.

The axe and the razor blade were the fastest to make. The axe only has 4 pieces, wired in parallel, and the shapes were simple so it only took about an hour. The razor blade only has 3 pieces wired in parallel but the shapes were more complicated so it took around 2 hours. Wiring the LED strands together in a series really increases the time it takes to make.

I've made some special request pieces for other goons, but from now until the end of October I'm going to be focused on completing as many of my planned signs as I can. After that I have no idea what I'll do.
If one of these was in the backgroud of a goth twitch streamer you'd probably end up with too many orders.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Tsietisin posted:

I was given a 3D printer for my birthday 10 months ago and have been enjoying using it to create all manner of items.

Recently I decided I wanted to create one of the Replicators from Stargate so I got to work.

This first one is my rough plan of how I want it to work. A lot of this has gone together with superglue and hot glue for the moment.

My intention is to get something with a cleaner look and with luck add mechanical aspects to make the limbs move and flap.

This rules. It makes me want to rewatch Stargate SG-1.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Jestery posted:

Megabound sparked a desire to do some photography, but I CBF tracking down a camera to learn and deal with focus and f stops and the like

So I did some googling and discovered pinhole cameras, which are simple enough for me to grok

So given I'm in a workshop two days a week and have access to the scrap bin, here is the progress so far

It also doubles as a finger box

Just a heads up the laser cut wood edges will probably scratch the film emulsion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Jestery posted:

Way ahead of you

The thickness of the felt I'm going to use as light seal/wipe is accounted for in the focal length
:science:

But thank you for the heads up, I'm sure there is heaps of poo poo I'm gunna mess up nonetheless

I'm excited to see the finished camera!

You should post your resulting images in the photography subforum film thread. I'm sure they'd love to see them.