Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm making some dml speakers, as described in that Tech Ingredients video. These are "prototypes" aka the ones I put in my garage after making a ton of mistakes so the ones I put in my living room can be better.

XPS is not a good material to work in. It's extremely fragile, enough for paint triangles to pierce the surface under its own weight. It's porous enough that any water based spray paint / ink will soak right in. It's slightly dissolved by the solvents in rattle cans, so can't prime/seal/paint with those. And it usually comes in a pink or green that is... challenging to design around unless painted. Painting probably also affects the sound but I won't be able to measure it.

The exciters come in the mail later this week. I'm really hoping the quality difference between xps and something like plywood is overstated because I would definitely rather use a material like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Did you use a hot wire knife to cut the polystyrene?

Nah, just used a small handsaw for the rough shape then dialed it in with some 60 grit sandpaper. Didn't know there was a dedicated tool for cutting it.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I have some diy light fixtures I want to make, but where can I get LED strips that are hardwired and look good? I've got some cheap ones from amazon that are good for messing around with, but require a plug and have a low CRI.

Neopixel lights exist, but those are likely overkill. Don't need individually addressable lights when they're all going to be set to "white." (Though, being able to adjust temperature would be a nice bonus feature)