Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Simply beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Inspired by nonentity I got some nixie tubes.
No clue how to power them and I'm not sure what to use them for (perhaps a vacuum amp with nixie tubes displaying the level)

:ussr:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

JaucheCharly posted:

Crossposting from the undead archery thread. Since you all probably appreciate woodworking and spergy stuff, here we go. I'm building bows. About 2 years ago I gave in and started to gather materials and knowhow to build a (turkish) composite bow.

What is a composite bow? A bow made of sinew, wood and horn, held together by natural glue from hide, sinew or fish-airbladder. They come in a number of flavours, mostly from the east, the steppes of central asia, including China and India. Korea is the only place in the world that has an unbroken tradition of people shooting and making hornbows. However, there's a number of people making and shooting these things since the last 30 years. One would fool himself though if imagening that this isn't a niche-niche hobby.

Here's some bows.

Korean

Crimean Tartar

Indo-persian

Hungarian

Turkish

Manchu

Q: Why should we care?
A: A well made composite bow is almost on par with modern bows from space-age materials. See flight shooting records from the 1600s.

...and ofc, they're a challenge to make, you're creating a piece of history and they're fun to shoot, so I heard.

Meet my most promising core atm, it's a very short 5-part turkish bow. 104cm nock to nock. The laths are steambent and the parts are joined via V-splices, like this:

after cutting the grooves, one limb receives about 20 coats with 5% hideglue, also the matching piece of horn. Applying & drying, and so on. This is done in a special position, but I don't want to bore you.

Then a 25% mixture of 50/50 hideglue and fishbladder glue is melted and kept ready, the core and horn are kept at around 50°C for 15mins (Notice the water below the jig. You just aim the heatgun at the water, move it around a bit, so that the inside of the box is hot and moist).

First one done:

2nd one done:

The core is now left for a month to dry. After that, I will shape the core and then lay the sinew. Definitely something that I need to practice.

This is my 3rd core. The first ones were flawed, due to imprecisions in the forms that I used for steambending the laths. Fuckups happen alot, so when doing a step that you don't feel confident in, or have never done before, testing and practice is required. I never worked horn strips before, which is somewhat different to wood and tricky due to the reflex and springy nature of the material. Raw work is done with a beltsander, getting closer to the final thickness, you will need a sawrasp, a file and a cabinet scraper, down to 4mm the whole length for now. One prepared strip was useless, because the horn had a fatal twist that couldn't be corrected. Ofc, I only realized that when I was about to clamp it on.

After buying a bandsaw, everything went better than expected and I was able to produce some reliable forms. I'm short on time, that's why my other 3 cores aren't progressing atm.

That looks awesome, I'm do archery myself but have never considered making a bow.
Did you already have woodworking skills before starting or is that something you've developed whilst making the bow?

Also do you have the link to the archery thread?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

That's pretty cool thanks for the link.
I've actually been toying with the idea of making a display with bodkin arrows arranged in a holder on the wall similar to this

But never really known where to start

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I've never done anything with wood before so I thought I'd have a go at making the wine rack from here

The holes are a little too snug for wine bottles to be easily used and I don't actually have 3 wine bottles in the house so beer bottles are the demonstrators.
Need a lot more practice with cutting straight lines. There are enormous gaps all over which look nice but probably mean it would break with 3 full sized bottles in it.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Great work!
What was the process you used to add in the lettering/symbols?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I'm getting married in a few days and wanted to create something that combined the fact that he's a drummer, loves Sabaton and enjoys getting drunk and watching stupid videos on Youtube.

Bought this and got it shotblasted

Made it black

Then it went yellow

Then blue

And done!

It went wrong the first attempt as I didn't leave the yellow long enough to harden before applying the masking tape so it all tore off exposing the black.
Second time I was impatient and didn't leave the blue as long as I could which is why the edges seem a bit rough in some bits but overall I'm pleased with how it turned out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

cakesmith handyman posted:

Thank you. I didn't, but I've got 4 more shifts, let's see what I can get away with.

A small wizard hat for the birb

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Theme to lockdown I finally made a tabletop arcade machine. It's something I've been putting off preparing to make for a few years

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

That's awesome. Retropie/Mame?

Yep, downloaded a huge romset for final burn alpha.
Also has every NES game and a smattering of games for other consoles for good measure

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Camo Guitar posted:

Yay, love Mame builds! Since I don't have the garage space in my current rental currently (and can't coat everything in sawdust again) to build a full cabinet, I opted for some very cheaply made controllers - 1 for me and 1 each for the kids to plug into my computer and away we go.

Behold the LunchMame! If anything goes wrong just unclip the lid and take a look!

(Internals from AliExpress, lunchbox from Kmart)

You could probably fit an RPi in the box and make an amazing plug and play unit for a TV

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Same. It’s very satisfying to custom fit foam for tools.

Headon! Apply directly to the forehead

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Bit of an upcycling project, found an empty clock case in a charity shop this year

Added some shelves in because more bookshelf space is always in

Finished it off with a nixie tube clock kit I got for Christmas. The colours behind the tubes cycle though i might just turn them off.

I've specifically avoided making any permanent changes to the clock case in case anyone wants to add a proper clock back in the future. I'm also tempted to run some warm LEDs down the door to light up the books at some point

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Finally got round to making a bottle cap table at the weekend. Something I've wanted to do for a long time

I've never done anything with resin before but I'm pleased with how it turned out. There are a couple of dents from bubbles that popped and one bubble that didn't pop but it's not a big issue

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

bEatmstrJ posted:

Nice. Did you secure the caps down in some way or were they just kind of sitting in there?

Hot melt glue, some of the caps weren't stuck well enough and made a break for freedom before being pushed back down.
Once the air got out from those ones they stayed in place.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Holy crap that's amazing

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

coldpudding posted:

Have you ever looked at your keyboard and said "gosh darn it I sure wish I had more keys" well I did and I decided to do something about it.

The concept

A nice idea But I didn't want to go tearing up a rather expensive keyboard.

The alternative

The keyboard extender.yes I know some key caps are missing I lost them behind a desk ok

Sadly I lost all the build pics but it's made of 2 stainless steel keyboard plates cut and brazed together then silver soldered to a steel frame.
All 100 switches are wired together into a 10 by 10 matrix with diodes and are then connected to a driver board via a DB25 socket to make
swapping the driver board fast and easy.

It's a bit of a mess but it works

The result

I call it the FUMK board or the gently caress you more keys board, I still have finish the case and go through the painful process of flashing firmware onto it but in terms of hardware it's 90% done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoP4MkTnwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Jestery posted:

It also doubles as a finger box

drat that's something I've not thought about in years