Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Over the last few years I’ve been going to Halloween craft markets in my area and I’ve been disappointed with what has been for sale, so I’ve been trying to come up with something I’d like to see in the future. As a customer, I settled on neon signs.

I’ve made a few over the last month, and I’ll keep making them over the summer until I have enough to set up a booth. I don’t really want to run a business though so we’ll see how my follow-through is.

I think maybe 20 signs is enough? I’m trying to find some good esoteric/occult symbols that would make fun signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I'm glad there are people out there as interested in these as I am.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Nice, how much for the hand with the leviathan cross?

I have no idea, I'm completely lost on how to price these things

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

holy poo poo that rules, I'd be all over that hand of glory one

pentacles from the Key of Solomon might be a little on the complex side but were the first things I thought of, they lend themselves well to anything involving squiggly lines of a fixed weight and are pretty clearly occultic without a lot of other cultural baggage.

I actually mapped out the Murmur sigil from the Lesser Key of Solomon as a future sign, but it's kind of complicated so I've been putting it off. My original idea was to work through the full 72 sigils but, aside from how complicated the signs will be, I am unsure how much commercial appeal they'd have.

Trabant posted:

I don't have design suggestions at the moment other than:

but I do think that's an amazing set of products!

Is your method similar to this?

That's basically the process, but I solder the connections because I think it makes a stronger bond. It's an easier process than the finished product would suggest, the skull sign above was the first sign I ever did. Neon is pretty forgiving because you really just need to get the impression across and the details don't really matter.

I've been thinking about doing the pyramid eye for a while and I like this design, so thank you.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I made some more signs, I’m about halfway to my goal of 20 now, which I think would be a good number for a booth at a craft market

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It’s LED, it’s called LED Neon Flex and so far I haven’t been able to find a product I’m completely satisfied with.

You have to cut the LEDs at specific marked points in order to solder the connections, so the closer the cut points the better. I was originally using a wire with 2.5cm cut points, which seems small until you need to fill a tiny gap. I recently switched to a wire with 1cm cut points that is much better for precision work.

The problem is that the original wire was colored LEDs covered in pigmented silicone, which produced a more vibrant color. This new wire is colored LEDs covered in a translucent white silicone, which washes out the color and just makes working with the wire when it is off more confusing, since all of the new wires look the same when they are off. The color of the new wires looks more pastel.

If I could find a wire that had 1cm cut points and pigmented silicone that would be ideal. Unfortunately most vendors only have photos of the wire when it is on (and usually they take a photo of the white wire and then reuse that photo with the color photoshopped in) so you can’t see the color of the silicone itself.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I feel like I’ve hijacked this thread with my signs but whatever I’m happy with they way they look

I think the Luna moth turned out nicely, I’m not as thrilled with Sacke & Sugar and I feel like that will only appeal to a very very small number of people

And a special request I got for a cacodemon from Doom. I like the final product but I don’t think I will do anything this complicated again in the near future

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I finally got a space at a Halloween craft market, I'm excited to show the locals something that isn't candles, soap, or dog treats

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Mister Dog posted:

Holy poo poo these own where can I find your market

Roseville, Minnesota in October. The twin cities seem averse to Halloween markets in general and this was the only one I could find. Also the craft market community seems pretty insular so it was hard to even get and organizer to respond to me.

Trabant posted:

Truly wonderful :)

How do you plan on pricing them?

I'm still trying to figure that out. My wife says $200 should be the floor and that I should adjust up based on size and complexity. I honestly don't care if I sell any of them, this whole project was about me not being happy with the vendors I saw at other Halloween markets in the area. I'll happily turn my basement into a neon junkyard with the unsold signs.

kreeningsons posted:

these are are really impressive including your technical skill as both a bender and illustrator

Thanks! Though it isn't glass neon, it's LED strips covered in silicone so it's not as impressive as it looks. The only real skill required is knowing how to use a soldering iron.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Trabant posted:

That's easily the minimum price, if not low. I'm guessing the scythe and the coffin were the fastest to make and even those couldn't have taken less than a couple of hours each.

And yeah, if other vendors are selling things in the <$20 range, you'd stand out. But the signs seem truly worth it. How big are they?

So $300? $400? Again I'm not really that interested in actually selling them so I'm fine with pricing them high. I'm willing to give steep discounts to anyone who will display one in a public way too.

The axe and the razor blade were the fastest to make. The axe only has 4 pieces, wired in parallel, and the shapes were simple so it only took about an hour. The razor blade only has 3 pieces wired in parallel but the shapes were more complicated so it took around 2 hours. Wiring the LED strands together in a series really increases the time it takes to make.

ilkhan posted:

Do/would you take commissions? I can think of a couple designs my wife would love.

I've made some special request pieces for other goons, but from now until the end of October I'm going to be focused on completing as many of my planned signs as I can. After that I have no idea what I'll do.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
All the LED signs I made this summer, I guess I was on a real skull/brain/head-related kick now that I see them all together

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

namlosh posted:

Wow, those are amazing! Is it a business or a hobby, because I could easily see it being a business.

If you don’t mind, what led strips are those or do you build your own? I could see doing these with ws2812 with individually controlled leds and some rad animations/effects could be done

Thanks, it's mostly a hobby but I do local markets from time to time. I barely sell anything since not many people are looking for a horror-themed neon sign for their house. I don't ship them though since the shipping costs much more than the signs themselves. Between the LED strips and the acrylic backing each sign only has between $35-50 worth of material in it, depending on the size.

These are the LED strips I use

I have a plan for an animated sign but I have no idea how to do animation. I these 4 channel 12 volt relays but I have no idea what to do with them. I just need the LED strips to blink in order.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Hadlock posted:

The amazon store page includes the logic circuit, looks like it accepts standard 5v switching from an arduino. I (or any goon in the arduino thread) could flash you an arduino and mail it to you (or if you're brave willing to flash it yourself, send you the ino code to flash). You don't need an official $20 arduino any $5 knock-off should work fine

Thanks, do you have a link to a controller that would work? The electronics thread recommended the AdaFruit Itsybitsy because I'm looking for something small that I can glue to the back of a sign without adding much weight or bulk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I don’t know where to post this but I made this skeleton puppet to scare trick or treaters on Halloween.

https://i.imgur.com/OuLAKDh.mp4

I’m pretty happy with it so far but it’s awful to walk in and I can’t see anything through the mask.