Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Crossposting from here where I'm actually writing up a whole big thing.

I'm making a moving timelapse camera mount using LASERS and motors and gears.

Here are some teasers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Lasers!

(Don't use acrylic)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've got access to my local hackspace's RedSail laser cutter. It's one of the cheap Chinese options, but at like four grand, it's not really that cheap.

80w, 100x80cm bed I think.

You don't really want to go less powerful than that. I've used a 40w one a fair amount, and it's good for etching but not much else. The 120w one was pretty amazing, I was cutting 3/8 acrylic and it wasn't even blinking.

Basically lasers are awesome and if you're in a large metro area, you probably have a local hackspace that either has a laser cutter or is trying to collect donations to get one RIGHT NOW.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't have the ability to cut steel and I don't want to spend real money on this.

I did break a couple of the clips while putting them in, but it's still a lot stronger than acrylic was.

Maybe in a month or two, one of the CNCs in my hackspace will be operational. I've been building some acrylic geared stuff, and steel versions would be pretty rad.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Start with looking up local hackspaces if you're in a largish city.

Otherwise, services like Ponoko will cut stuff for you, but they're a little expensive and you'll probably gently caress it up the first time if you've never used lasers before.

Last year sometime, I designed a machine that needed it, submitted it to them, and it came back like $140. I said gently caress that and shelved the project. When I eventually got hands-on access, yeah, nothing really worked right or fit at first. Six months in, I'm only really starting to be able to cut most of my stuff right the first time.

So yeah, if you don't have anything locally, I don't know what to tell you. If you can swing it, I think you can buy and build sub-$1000 40w kits that will definitely get you started. It'll take a while to outgrow that if you've never tasted something more powerful.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Just over two weeks, nice job.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You're doing that for the Instructables contest, right?

Someone from my hackspace is using an identical box to make an electronics testbench.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Organize your pictures.

Do a write-up

Submit it here: http://www.instructables.com/contest/portableworkstations/

Bam, thank me later.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Looks pretty good, man. Where did you get the original wooden dildo?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've got an oddball question for y'all:

I'm working on these right now:

I'm basically done with the shaping, but I'm having a hell of a time finding hinges for the temples. I don't want to start the final sanding and finishing until I've found my hinges, so I'm kinda in a holding pattern. I've tried googling everything I can think of for search terms, scoured Amazon and eBay, and I've come up with nothing. The only online potential source I've found is a Chinese website that sells them in a minimum of 15 pairs, and wants $30 for shipping.

My options right now are:

1. Eat the cost and order the Chinese hinges. This will likely be the highest quality option but very expensive.

2. Order the tiniest hinges available on McMaster Carr. There is one around the size I want, but it doesn't come with mounting holes and there's no guarantee it'll be a nice tight hinge.

3. Strip the hinges off of an existing pair of sunglasses. This seems viable at a glance, but often the hinges aren't screwed to the frame, they're welded/soldered or are embedded in plastic.

4. Try to find some spare parts at a local eyeglass shop. I've tried a couple places so far and haven't had any luck.

5. Make something. I might give this a shot but there's so little space to cram hinges in anything I can think of to make easily will be too flimsy.

Any suggestions?

This is an intriguing question and I like it.

What is involved in the hinges? Is it just a tube with a cutout and a little pin inside? Does that make sense? Does material matter?

Are you looking for a one-off?

If you are, then I would suggest trying to make your own with some copper/other metal tube and pin, or 3D printing if you have a local source. Ponoko might be a reasonable option for that too, I don't know.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Blooot posted:

I did this thing http://www.facebook.com/completecontrolrobot

It was a lot of work (1200h between 4 people) for just minutes of action.

Take a look through the albums on FB to see the build process.

Blown away by how fast you guys put that together.

What were the rules like?

I'm curious how strict they were on your radio systems. Could you have your bot constantly transmitting a beacon on a second frequency to allow for more sophisticated position-based control?

Could you use an autopilot? :haw:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What kind of sensors are you using?

This might be more techie than is appropriate given the situation so far, but I'd try and set up some data logging as soon as possible to gather metrics, and possibly trigger notifications on certain events.

You should totally create a hydroponics thread! I've been vaguely thinking it'd be a fun thing to do, so I Have Some Opinions.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Little bit of lacquer might not be a bad idea.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

nogthree posted:

Also there's an rfid based payment system going in soon for those who spotted the RFID panel on the right.

How does that work?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the password

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

scandoslav posted:

This project is mostly grim determination and sanding at this point.

Thread title right there

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are there any good YouTube videos on sanding? This is such a strange question, but getting metal parts I've been building to a mirror shine is surprisingly difficult. Knowing when you're done at a particular grit is the most boring skill to have to learn

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
BTW Slungblade's old thread is backed up on archive.org with the original pictures, and the thread is especially good when you start noticing that Grover is fairly active and dispensing his housebuilding wisdom throughout

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Look up YouTube videos for burning Lichtenberg figures. Should get you started. You're definitely gonna die though, fyi, can I have your stuff?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
If water is getting through the insulation of the romex, you got bigger problems than failed electrolysis

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You don't have a hand drill and ty-wraps?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the cable for?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Might be some decent DC motors with worm gears on Aliexpress, or check out your local junkyard and pull some windshield wiper motors

* I don't have any real intuition for how much torque that is

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm quite allergic to pine, due to growing up in a woodshop basically. Same thing can easily happen to other woods

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
dude

I'm kidding, I've had it for years

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

BigFactory posted:

That’s not helping

dune

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Get bicolour / strips that contain two temperatures of white LEDs, and then drivers that can fade between them.

I don't have great sourcing advice for you - Film stuff is great but hella expensive, I think IKEA has some decent compromise stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Trabant posted:

Failed at this kinda spectacularly about 3 years ago, decided to finally share my shame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LzeYwV35U

:lmao: wonderful