Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I tore out a ton of Pergo from my kitchen and hallway to make room for new ceramic tile. I then cherrypicked the nicest remnants, pulled out the nasty carpet in the office, and redid the room with the reused material.
Lessons learned:
Never put laminate flooring anywhere where you might ever have water or spills. Whoopsie, there was a small leak under the sink overnight and now all the planks on the floor are warped! (You can simplify this statement by "never put laminate flooring anywhere")
The long handled floor scrapers are a zillion times better for tearing up linoleum than the handheld ones (duh)
Spending $10 on this guy to pull up the trim and carpet strips was money well spent. It's way easier to be kind to your walls, floors, and trim by using the right tool than using alternative methods.
Two 5 gallon buckets and a $6 plank of wood makes a great sawhorse/workstation for a circular saw cutting laminate planks.
An enormous T square makes drawing straight lines across laminate planks so much easier.

Since the laminate was scrap and free anyway, I figure the entire project cost me about $32 for the room. ($6 for the vapor barrier, $15 for the quarter round strips to edge the built-in desk, and $11 for the circular saw blade) Not bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I also really like the idea of those solar tubes, but the room I'm thinking of has no attic and my house in in Phoenix. I have a tile roof and am not very confident that I could DIY it (especially because installers charge extra for tile installations)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MikeNCR posted:

I started the design on this project in February and began the main construction in early September.

This thing's built for the 30lb Sportsman class at Motorama (no high energy spinners or wedges) and the tabletop competition at Dragon Con Robot Battles.

The drive platform is 17lbs and has two 18v Dewalt drill motors overvolted to 24 volts and runs at approximately 15mph.

The weapon modules consist of:
-A 670lbf electric crushing spike
-A 3HP electric axe
-A 23" pair of lifting forks designed to lift 50lbs at the tips of the spike (though capable of over 100lbs if the current limit is raised)

Most of the fabrication was done on a waterjet with the primary materials being 7075 aluminum, AR400 steel, and 6AL4V titanium.

The googly eyes are a nice touch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dead Pressed posted:

Easy enough. That's what I anticipated. All my prep work is pretty much done in lieu of attempting to stain. I just need to go get some vapor barrier and laminate it sounds.

The floor isn't THAT bad now. It just won't allow the stain to take well (eg the residue of glue would react lovely with the acid stain, but don't effect a laminate install any more than a vapor barrier would.)

I should have really documented this process for the thread, but I'll at least post the stripped down bs finished pictures this weekend.

One more thing to note: Laminate eats circular saw blades like crazy. I made maybe 200 linear feet of cuts on a fresh blade, and it was real ragged for the last half of it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A few months back my wife bought an old vanity/desk thing for $7 to refinish. It was painted in this terrible, gloppy pink latex paint, and the 4 legged stool had a broken leg.

After months of having it sit in the garage, I took it to the curb for bulk trash day. Feels good to take something off the project list, whether by completing the project or by cancelling it.
(Within an hour. someone driving by tossed it into the back of her Xterra. Maybe it will be on her curb in a few months!)

That was part of my effort to reclaim my garage, which included removing and reinstalling a shelf so I could move the chest freezer and park a car inside there again.
As another quality of life improvement, I finished installing baby-proof cabinet locks in the kitchen. I already had them on the poison stuff, but now he can't get in and toss around all the pots and pans. I can't wait to see my baby's WTF face when he tries to open them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, if I could ever get someone to agree to play Settlers with me, I'd think about building one of my own.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Goodbye ergonomically unfriendly built in desk that is slightly too tall for anyone

But when we remove you, we need to replace the floor too (because there was horrible old carpet replaced a couple years ago with slightly less horrible salvaged laminate for a total cost of $20)

And you are replaced now with darker laminate, to become a bedroom.

I'm not a big fan of laminate anywhere, but we really didn't want carpet again and my wife is for some reason opposed to tile in bedrooms. I think tile is great and should be everywhere but ok.
Still need to remove the top cabinet, do the trim, patch and paint, and move all the furniture back in. Oh, did I mention that I get to do this again in 3 other bedrooms? Each other room has it's own miniboss piece of furniture as part of the challenge (bunk bed that must be disassembled! Closet stuffed with craft supplies and two 50lb sewing machines! Recliner couch that weighs as much as a Volkswagen, plus a solid oak dresser!)
I'm happy with how it turned out though, though it took all day and I did literally all of it my myself. Hauling out those heavyass cabinets and laminate countertop solo was not a fun time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Linoleum is the thing you scrape up before you put down tile. Or if you're the guy who owned my house before me, just do a terrible tiling job right over the top of the lino.

It gets a bad rap because it is the cheapest thing for the builders to put in kitchens and bathrooms.
As long as it doesn't get melted or gouged it's about the easiest floor to take care of though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A work in progress as I'm staining one of what will become 3 desks.

They have all turned out lovely so far, going to stain the other sides and get some poly on it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The DIY gods have blessed me today.

I helped my dad tile his living room today. He bought all the supplies without me.

Despite screwing up zero cuts, I ended up using literally every single tile with none left over :eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Well, don't you want a couple extra whole tiles so you have exact same replacements if someone breaks one? Later on, I mean.

Yeah, I told him to go buy more next week. But I didn't have to stop the project to get more, which is a big win

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's the before (well, during) and after on the tile.

No baseboards yet. Turned out really nice. Great spacing, level joints, all laid in a (long) day with an hour of grouting on the next day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Three projects in one frame.
Three 10x3x2 planter boxes made of pressure treated lumber and galvanized corrugated iron roofing, 300sqft of artificial turf, and a big rad cedar playhouse and swingset from Costco.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

Planning on expanding it and adding like a fort and a swing later this summer.

For a moment I thought this was the chicken coop poster, and thought "wow, those chickens are very well taken care of"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rapulum_Dei posted:

My toddler loves this thing - if you need some inspiration

May I also recommend the barn?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Nice that you left a garage under the loft for them to park their flying saucers

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

A big ole wind came through and knocked over some trees.

Screwed a board on them to act as a guide and hit them with my chainsaw.

Pile of squarish wood.

Arranged into a triangle shape.

With solar panels on them. Now there's more electricity.

This is some hard-livin' frontier stuff and I'm here for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i think traditionally you light a fire inside the circle bit

H. erectus watching very closely, taking notes by scratching pictograms into the wall

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Serenade posted:

I have some diy light fixtures I want to make, but where can I get LED strips that are hardwired and look good? I've got some cheap ones from amazon that are good for messing around with, but require a plug and have a low CRI.

Neopixel lights exist, but those are likely overkill. Don't need individually addressable lights when they're all going to be set to "white." (Though, being able to adjust temperature would be a nice bonus feature)

I bought these a couple years ago and they're awesome.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801845918511.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

I installed it in an inexpensive aluminum track with diffuser in a U shape that I put around the outside of a framed mirror that my wife uses for cosmetics. The color temp has variability and they are stupidly bright. She's been using them on the lowest brightness and they've been great. Really terrific for even lighting without shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bobua posted:

Permanent christmas light install. Assuming it works out long term, should end up way cheaper that having someone install them every year, and there's no way I'm going up there every year anyway. Was about $800 + the cost of renting a lift.

Very cool. What products did you end up using? I would like to put up lights no more than 1 more time on my house.