Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
For three years now, the lack of storage space in my kitchen has bothered me.

As you can see from this photo, I have no upper cabinets, and I have a window that would make wall to wall windows look super weird.
What you can't see is that the back wall is just cinder blocks, so it can't really bear a huge amount of weight. Real cabinets would be too heavy.

So I made a plan:
A shelf, supported by multiple sets of wall brackets, right where the tiles end, on the exhaust hood level. I need multiple shelves because of the weak wall.
I have 47 cm of space on the left between the exhaust hood and the fridge, and about 144cm on the right, so why not make it three shelves of 47cm each on that side as well?
And because of the tiles, I'd need hanging brackets, rather than brackets that support the shelves from below. The brackets I found on Amazon were about 21cm deep, so I decided to go with 30cm deep shelves.

So I got some wood. I replaced the windowsills on the other side of the room with laminated beech panels , and I liked how they looked after oiling, so I went with that again. The hardware store sells those in 200*60cm panels, so I had to have them saw it into my desired dimensions: 6 boards of 30*47 and 2 boards of 30*59 (the remainder, basically).

And then I had to transport them home. Three of the smaller ones in my big backpack, and the rest in my bike basket. This is the kind of moment I miss having a car, but let's be honest, I don't do something like this every month anyway.

Because I want the brackets to not be too visible on the under side (the edge is at about pretty much exactly my eye level, so I decided to hide the underside in the wood a bit. It's hard to explain, but I think my next photos will make clear what I did.

And what I did was chiseling. Don't worry, I used a wooden mallet, that hammer is there for something unrelated.

I did some chiseling until I decided 'gently caress this, this is too much work and the result is pretty ugly, I need something else'. So I ordered a small router.

Worked like a charm. I really liked not having to chisel out 8 sides.
And with the first board routed (for those gaps for the brackets and also to shave a few millimeters off the side, I could install it.

Fits like a glove and looks decent. But it needs a little more love.

I will never stop being amazed at how much better a bit of tung oil will make those boring white boards look. And of course this also seals the wood against moisture and grime.

The right side looks a bit different from left, since there are two places where there are back to back shelves.

I put some stuff on the shelves for a night to make sure they wouldn't collapse. Those beer bottles are empty.

This is with the fourth shelf installed as well. But there's still something missing:

Why not install a rack for glasses as well now that I'm putting all this on the wall anyway?

There's still some things that I need to do:
- Give the boards a new layer of oil once I get back from my vacation. I ran out of oil and need to order a new can. Each new layer is going to make the wood look better.
- Install a few bars that I can use to hang other stuff from. IKEA 40cm kungsfors bars will fit under each shelf (except the one that has the rack, obviously).

I'm not going to post any close ups because in spite of all my effort, some things ended up being pretty crooked. You can see that middle shelf on the right lays a bit higher than the others, for example. This is something that only needs to last me a few years until a larger kitchen reno, and it's more than OK enough for that.

This was a fun project to do in a few nights and a weekend. And I've still got two 30*47 boards, and two 30*59 boards left over. If one of those has very even surface, I'm considering using one of them for a cutting board. I got a router to round of the edges now, and I've got a new can of oil that I need to order anyway, so why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bad Munki posted:

As an owner of a house that is comically scant on storage and organizability, I love this sort of thing, very nice.

And that sure is some tile you got there!

According to the previous owners, those tiles were handmade in Portugal and they would have taken them with them if they could.

But they were probably lying about that, because they were also lying about the electric being up to code and the washing machine not being plumbed into the building's rain drain