Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Archives posted:

I made a leather messenger bag, because I didn't to pay 350 bucks for one from here: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger-Bags/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown

It's definitely not perfect, but It was a nice experience.

I've been thinking about getting into leathercrafting for a while just to do something like this. I'd be thrilled to see a megathread on it, if there are other goons who do this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ropes4u posted:

What no goon hook up for the Americans who need portholes?

I will post a build thread and you should start building them, they sell fairly well here in the US based on my google skills.

I visit this place in Galveston whenever I'm down there, just because it's so awesome to look at all the cool stuff they have. I bet they'd be happy to ship if you're not nearby enough to visit:

http://www.piecesofship.com/

They even have a section on the site for portholes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The word is catapult, after all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FogHelmut posted:

I realized that I don't know how to build a table, so I just built a deck in the shape and size of a table.

Building the frame out of 1x4's and 1x2's. Screwed and glued, used a Kreg pocket hole jig. Everything is just Home Depot pine, hemlock or douglas fir. I live in Southern California, I have no fear of rot.

Attaching the 1x6 boards from underneath. Pre-drilled and still managed to crack one, oops.

Lots of sanding and a coat of danish oil

Put the legs on. Good enough.

Looks like you nailed it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Congratulations! You're right back where you started. Feels good, doesn't it?