Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ryanrs posted:

Yeah, that's why you can't use SOOW rubber cord inside walls. Rubber deteriorates pretty quickly.

So what's a good 100-year insulation? I expect modern PVC will be cracked and brittle by then. Maybe PVDF?

XHHW, probably. Cross-linked polyethylene insulation. We all know that polyethylene doesn't break down in anything short of direct, dedicated, persistent UV radiation (like the sunlight), so it's probably safe inside a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
XHHW/XLPE/PEX/SGX is what we'll use for everything. Car wiring, house wiring, house plumbing. Just don't make it out of soybeans.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Cool, I wasn't sure if that was low power as in energy efficient or low power as in "lower power, you fool!"

I am looking at making an air quality monitor for my domus on breadboard to interface to my home assistant server, but I have more questions.

Outline:
ESP32-C6 DevKitC, because I want that Wifi 6 even though I know it will lead to ESPhome configuration complications
Senseair S8 1% CO2 monitor on UART
Sensiron SPS30 Particulate sensor on I2C
Adafruit SHT41 thermohygrometer module, also on I2C
:20bux: of Aliexpress garbage because I can't find my parts bin

I have some questions about the the SPS30, because I have never had to care about the supporting bits of an I2C circuit before. The datasheet says on p 16 to use 10kΩ pull-up resistors, but if the Adafruit module already has pull-ups on the bus, then they're not necessary, yea?

The S8 and SPS30 both spec 5V input while outputting 3.3V, so I guess I'm running everything off of the 5V. That Adafruit module says it can run off either 5 or 3.3, but I don't understand: will that work with it's level shifting circuitry if the I2C bus needs to stay 3.3V?

The Senseair sheet states on p 2 that it is unprotected against surges, do I need some sort of power conditioning, and if so, how? The manual for the power supply I'm looking at says overvoltage protection kicks in at 6.5V, which is more than the sensors specs. Also I hate that fake USB C power bullshit. Can I cut off the ends of a micro B power cord, crimp dupont connectors on and raw dog it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PDP-1 posted:

At work we have a couple of rolls of teflon coated wire that are supposedly surplus from the Apollo program. The wire itself looks like it could have been made yesterday but the tin rolls it comes on are very obviously old and have 1960s-ish style design. One of our old engineers bought it at an auction then gave it to the lab before he retired and nobody has used it because nothing we work on is cool enough to warrant breaking into the moon wire stash.

I'm on vacation right now but if anyone cares remind me after the 15th and I'll post some pics when I get back.

So you're saying I should be repairing my WW2-era radios with stuff from the space race?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I have some questions about the the SPS30, because I have never had to care about the supporting bits of an I2C circuit before. The datasheet says on p 16 to use 10kΩ pull-up resistors, but if the Adafruit module already has pull-ups on the bus, then they're not necessary, yea?

The S8 and SPS30 both spec 5V input while outputting 3.3V, so I guess I'm running everything off of the 5V. That Adafruit module says it can run off either 5 or 3.3, but I don't understand: will that work with it's level shifting circuitry if the I2C bus needs to stay 3.3V?

The Senseair sheet states on p 2 that it is unprotected against surges, do I need some sort of power conditioning, and if so, how? The manual for the power supply I'm looking at says overvoltage protection kicks in at 6.5V, which is more than the sensors specs. Also I hate that fake USB C power bullshit. Can I cut off the ends of a micro B power cord, crimp dupont connectors on and raw dog it?

The Adafruit sensor can run on either 3.3V or 5V, but not with a split 5V supply / 3.3V I2C. If you feed the Adafruit module 5V supply, it's going to pull SCL and SDA to 5V through 10k resistors.

I suggest powering the Adafruit SHT40 with 3.3V from the S8's regulator output DVCC_out.

The built-in 10k resistors in the Adafruit module are sufficient to pull up the bus. You don't need to add more unless you're trying to run long wires or faster bus speeds.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking re USB 5V, but the Senseair manual is just saying that if you plug it in backwards or to 12V, it's gonna kill it. Or if your power supply fails and somehow gives out 6.5V, that might kill it, too. IMO just hope your power supply doesn't fail.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

kid sinister posted:

So you're saying I should be replacing my WW2-era radios with stuff from the space race?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
No way! I love these old art deco radios.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just re-wire them with space wiring, you can leave the rest alone.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Many pages ago, I posted about using fluorocarbon space wire. It was lovely stuff. Only real disadvantage was that the 12 AWG wire cost the same as coax. Not even cheap coax, this stuff was over $2/ft.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pretty sure my dad used to steal that poo poo from work back when he worked in the rocket battery lab lol

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

ryanrs posted:

The Adafruit sensor can run on either 3.3V or 5V, but not with a split 5V supply / 3.3V I2C. If you feed the Adafruit module 5V supply, it's going to pull SCL and SDA to 5V through 10k resistors.

I suggest powering the Adafruit SHT40 with 3.3V from the S8's regulator output DVCC_out.

The built-in 10k resistors in the Adafruit module are sufficient to pull up the bus. You don't need to add more unless you're trying to run long wires or faster bus speeds.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking re USB 5V, but the Senseair manual is just saying that if you plug it in backwards or to 12V, it's gonna kill it. Or if your power supply fails and somehow gives out 6.5V, that might kill it, too. IMO just hope your power supply doesn't fail.

OK, so I want to be sure: if I power the SHT40 module off the 3.3V, then so go it's 10k pull ups, yeah? Do I then need to put separate pull-ups to the 5V on the SPS30?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Correct. No other pullups besides the ones in the Adafruit SHT40.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Do you have any part of your system that is 5v?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
A used power supply popped up locally on the ole craigslist equivalent. Kingshill Power Supply 18V10C, trying to find some info about it. Does the name ring a bell for anyone?

Edit photos:

This seems to be a really obscure and old company. I've found a few mentions of a different model but nothing concrete, I'd like to know at least if it was a reputable manufacturer. Also problematic if I can't get circuit diagrams.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 8, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TIL that a commodity 3.3v OLED display doesn't like being hooked to 5v.

Well, actually I learned to check the specs for a component instead of assuming it's 5v tolerant.

Ideally before you try to troubleshoot why it isn't working.

RIP.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My dad's getting into playing with Arduinos and wanted some recommendations on an Arduino C++ book to buy. He's an old EE who's very good at that side of things but in the past has always thought that getting everything set up and learning to program was "too complicated" so he'd just write all his microcontroller programs in assembly (because that's somehow less complicated to him). Now that Arduino has kinda made that entire thing trivial he's giving it another shot and wants a book to learn with, but I'm so far on the other side of that experience scale (what with being a professional code rear end in a top hat for nearly 15 years now) that I haven't really looked at programming books since college. Is there anything good out there, preferably aimed at my dad's somewhat unusual niche of already knowing the electronics side real well?

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

My dad's getting into playing with Arduinos and wanted some recommendations on an Arduino C++ book to buy. He's an old EE who's very good at that side of things but in the past has always thought that getting everything set up and learning to program was "too complicated" so he'd just write all his microcontroller programs in assembly (because that's somehow less complicated to him). Now that Arduino has kinda made that entire thing trivial he's giving it another shot and wants a book to learn with, but I'm so far on the other side of that experience scale (what with being a professional code rear end in a top hat for nearly 15 years now) that I haven't really looked at programming books since college. Is there anything good out there, preferably aimed at my dad's somewhat unusual niche of already knowing the electronics side real well?

Well, it's not an arduino book specifically, but a good place to start might be the second half (Ch. 11 and on in the 3rd edition) of Patt and Patel's textbook Introduction to Computing Systems. The first half of the book builds up from transistors to assembly language so your dad can safely skip that, but the second half is all of the foundation knowledge for programming in higher-level languages. My reasoning here is that there are plenty of arduino tutorials online, and both GCC and the Arduino API are very well documented, but the sort of person who prefers to program in assembly might be comforted by a more formal understanding of what the compiler does and how things like low-level library functions and device drivers are implemented.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a shower thought project that I'd like some advice on.

The context is that I have an old typewriter on which I'd like to make the carriage position indicator more visible. My Selectric III has a lit position scale which consists of some 70s plexiglass material side-lit by a neon lamp. The carriage itself has a red and white plastic indicator, but the indicator is barely visible through the scale, likely due to age and yellowing.

I've adjusted it so it's a little more visible than the above photo, but far from ideal.

My shower thought project is to 3D print a translucent replacement for the carrier index pointer and backlight it with an SMD LED glued or inset into the back of the pointer, then run the power wires tied to a cable which already follows the carrier from beneath the keyboard so it doesn't get tangled in the moving machinery. The printing part is easy and I can knock that out in 30 minutes.

The only catch is that while the typewriter is electric, it's not electronic. The only power source I have available to me is 120 mains right to the motor and neon bulbs lighting the margin. I'm trying to think of a good method of getting an appropriate DC power source inside this machine and honestly my brute force approach would just be to tap the mains off the machine's power switch to the motor to a cannibalized voltage-appropriate AC/DC wall wart with the right resistors in place.

I guess this is less an electronics theory question and more a "is there anything obvious I'm missing" question.

I haven't seen any appropriate garbage amazon PSU breadboard-project PCBs which will step down 110v to anything appropriate, they tend to be DC-DC step-downs, and I don't really want to go buy a Mean Well just for this. I have a fair amount of room to work with in the case so I could throw the right wall wart in there somewhere without too much effort, but if I can make it compact with some small converter I hadn't considered then all the better. I think the space limitation on the carriage or pointer precludes me from just buying an under-desk LED kit and cutting it down to just one LED, but I suppose I could jury-rig one of those kits to power a single LED in the way I'm thinking?

My side-shower thoughts project would be to see if there's any benefit in replacing the neon bulbs lighting the scale with a pair of white LEDs running off the same supply but one thing at a time.

e: As I'm thinking through it though, I might be able to just cannibalize one of those dollar store string lights. Same question about powering it but that would be more off-the-shelf with just a little bit of hacking.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 14, 2024

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Sorry for the lack of response, but the feedback from this thread has been super helpful and I do appreciate it.

This is the part I've been dreading: my little project seems to work with test clips, but my soldering skills are whack. If I'm starting from nothing, what are the correct tools? No good solder in the closet, unfortunately. Manufacturers instructions: "Hand soldering: soldering iron temperature 380 °C during two seconds/pin."

I need to turn my butchers hands into surgeons hands so that I don't damage these sensors. What is the best way to develop those skills quickly and cheaply before I start on the $$$ modules? Is there anything like a "get gud" package on Ali, a strip of header and empty drilled PCB to set up and knock out?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

I have a shower thought project that I'd like some advice on.

I tore apart a standard USB A wall wart to wire it into a replica oil lantern that I turned into a lamp/night light. I printed a custom enclosure for it that was part of a larger piece that fit in the base, and plugged a set of string lights into it. You could probably get away with taking the prongs out and using the original case.

However, if this typewriter already has a neon indicator, why not just use another neon for the pointer?

BigClive shows how easy it is in one of his videos (I think that's the one, but I didn't watch it again to confirm.) I think it would match the vintage style more closely, if that matters.

Edit: nm

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 14, 2024

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Is the little neon lamp still good, as in 'Didn't turn black due to decades of use'?

Easiest thing you could try is to put a blue neon indicator in there, because it will have a better contrast with the cream/yellow strip. Runs on the same voltage/series resistor.
The green ones look really nice but you need to run them very dimly at like 0,2mA or they'll wear out within a year or so.

If the blue neon doesn't work well enough, get a couple of SMD leds and a random USB power supply, and hook it up with a correct series resistor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like the idea, that area is just really tight and I’m not certain I could fit a neon lamp in there, unless they’re way smaller than I’m thinking. I do think it’s worth looking into though.

E: And to be clear, there is no pre-existing lighting of the carriage indicator, it’s entirely unlit so I’d be adding net-new backlighting through a translucent 3D print, or trying to fit some front-facing lighting if possible (but also facing a lot of clearance issues)

I’m out of town for a few days but when I get back I’ll take a quick snap to show you guys my clearance options. Not killing any ideas though :)

Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would just grab a USB wall wart and use that. They are already UL listed and have whatever certifications they need to not burn your house down. Depending on how janky you want this to look, you could just get an extension cable to wire into the power of the typewriter and plug the wall wart into that, then plug in a USB cable that you cut up to get access to the 5V and ground if you don't want to open up the wall wart. Or you can rip open the wall wart, remove the wall plug and the USB port and then solder wires directly to the appropriate spots to convert from wall power to 5V.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I was also going to suggest getting a replacement needle from an automotive instrument cluster instead of printing something, but then I looked some up, and they're more than a simple piece of plastic should ever cost.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

some kinda jackal posted:

I guess this is less an electronics theory question and more a "is there anything obvious I'm missing" question.

I've seen this type of thing a lot:

That diode is necessary to keep the LED from taking the full reverse voltage. It's every bit as inefficient as it looks but in a lot of applications 1/8 watt is a rounding error. The 60Hz flicker is more noticeable than the 120Hz flicker of a neon but it's not too bad for some definitions of "too" and "bad".

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

One Legged Ninja posted:

I was also going to suggest getting a replacement needle from an automotive instrument cluster instead of printing something, but then I looked some up, and they're more than a simple piece of plastic should ever cost.

Got a local DIY salvage yard? They'd probably have the best price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Got a local DIY salvage yard? They'd probably have the best price.

Make sure you absolutely destroy the car to get to the needle.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
A buddy of mine seems dead-set on loving around with high-voltage plasma stuff, low current (he says 20mA or less) but i'm pretty sure that's not of comfort to the human heart at 5k-20KV. using one of those purpose-made HV adjustable bench supplies. can anyone provide/recommend a concise safety guide or series of rules i can deliver to him, couple minutes talking or less, that is specifically tailored towards preventing him from dying in this endeavour. I know its a very bad idea but I can't articulate the harm reduction crash-course that will prevent him from ending up in series across his heart with the bench supply

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's a nice rule: Don't. Direct him to some photos of what happens to people who mess up when they set up microwave transformers to do that wood art that looks like lightning bolts. 20mA is not low current when talking about putting 5000 volts across your body. If he still insists on doing it, make sure that he only touches it when the power is off and everything is deenergized. Even if he's careful, all it takes is one slip up when he turns it on and realizes he just needs to adjust something real quick and zap. I was messing with a CRT kit I was building and was careless when adjusting it and got a nice tingle in my hand and luckily it was only as bad as that.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ambrose Burnside posted:

A buddy of mine seems dead-set on loving around with high-voltage plasma stuff, low current (he says 20mA or less) but i'm pretty sure that's not of comfort to the human heart at 5k-20KV. using one of those purpose-made HV adjustable bench supplies. can anyone provide/recommend a concise safety guide or series of rules i can deliver to him, couple minutes talking or less, that is specifically tailored towards preventing him from dying in this endeavour. I know its a very bad idea but I can't articulate the harm reduction crash-course that will prevent him from ending up in series across his heart with the bench supply

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Cojawfee posted:

Here's a nice rule: Don't. Direct him to some photos of what happens to people who mess up when they set up microwave transformers to do that wood art that looks like lightning bolts. 20mA is not low current when talking about putting 5000 volts across your body. If he still insists on doing it, make sure that he only touches it when the power is off and everything is deenergized. Even if he's careful, all it takes is one slip up when he turns it on and realizes he just needs to adjust something real quick and zap. I was messing with a CRT kit I was building and was careless when adjusting it and got a nice tingle in my hand and luckily it was only as bad as that.

i know. i know. the lad is strong-willed and will just do this quietly if i'm angling to stop him. what's a body to do

pretty sure this will just make him go "ive got an 80mA safety margin here"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I agree with showing him some pictures of what happens when you gently caress up with a microwave oven transformer.

I don't know if he would respond to the mathematics, but you can point out that yes, it's 20 milliamps, but as noted it's 20 milliamps at 5000 volts (1000 watts). 5000v is far more than enough to arc from a contact onto your body and blast through your skin resistance, and then the exact volt/amp ratio doesn't matter, because it's a thousand watts of power coursing through your body. Enough to light up a dozen light bulbs, boil water, make toaster wires glow red hot. The damage people get from microwave oven transformer accidents is not just heart palpitations -- it's third degree burns inside their body along the path the electricity flowed. That's a bad fuckin time.

My most memorable electricity accident was touching a couple of 330v capacitors I'd charged up to screw around with. That's less than a tenth of the voltage he's talking about, and capacitors are a time-limited supply of energy. You bet I remember that day though

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 15, 2024

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does your buddy also understand the capacitors used with those transformers?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Let the guy start out with a TV flyback or a car ignition coil.

Both hurt like a motherfucker, and the voltage can be around 30kV. However, the current and power are more limited (think 1 to 4mA or so for the TV flyback, <10mA for the ignition coil). Few TV repairsmen have died from the 27kV supply, more died from hot chassis TVs that carry mains.

If he can play around with one of those for a year and not get shocked a single time, then he could consider getting a bigger transformer. If he does get zapped, he is not competent enough.

Either way, at the multi kV levels, things do not always categorize nicely anymore into 'conductor' and 'isolator'. Any bit of moisture in or on a surface can become a pathway for tracking, and continue to zap you.

The most important thing is to realize that it's all a lottery at those high power levels. Many people have survived it with just a little crater in their finger or hand. But he can easily be the one who gets 'stuck' onto the wire and can't release until his hand has burnt through, or never at all and die the worst death you can imagine.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 15, 2024

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

20 milliamps at 5000 volts (1000 watts)

*100W, so more like a second metabolism and less like a space heater. Wouldn't want to dissipate all of that in a finger though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

By "make sure" I would say "by demanding that he use some sort of dead-man's switch", like a box that you have to hold two buttons down (one with each hand) in order to energize the thing, and if either one is released it immediately cuts power. I built that high voltage power supply for my radiation detector experiments a little while back and that could only output single-digit milliamps (by design) and I was still nervous enough that the current limiting output resistors would fail and allow the full energy of the smoothing capacitors to dump across my heart I designed in an interlock relay that disconnects the outputs and connects the internal capacitors to a chonky discharge resistor to bring it down to safe levels in under a second.

Also a key switch so it can't be turned on and played with by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I mean actually it's mostly just because key switches are cool as hell but still.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh and I have still managed to get a whammy off the output exactly once but luckily it was at the predicted very low current and just scared the hell out of me. To be clear my power supply tops out at like 3.5kV and even that's high enough for the whole "things you thought were insulators are suddenly no longer insulators" stuff to start happening, so good luck with 20kV bud.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

Let the guy start out with a TV flyback or a car ignition coil.

Both hurt like a motherfucker, and the voltage can be around 30kV. However, the current and power are more limited (think 1 to 4mA or so for the TV flyback, <10mA for the ignition coil). Few TV repairsmen have died from the 27kV supply, more died from hot chassis TVs that carry mains.

If he can play around with one of those for a year and not get shocked a single time, then he could consider getting a bigger transformer. If he does get zapped, he is not competent enough.

Either way, at the multi kV levels, things do not always categorize nicely anymore into 'conductor' and 'isolator'. Any bit of moisture in or on a surface can become a pathway for tracking, and continue to zap you.

The most important thing is to realize that it's all a lottery at those high power levels. Many people have survived it with just a little crater in their finger or hand. But he can easily be the one who gets 'stuck' onto the wire and can't release until his hand has burnt through, or never at all and die the worst death you can imagine.

BigClive recommends an old neon sign transformer (make sure it's an actual transformer and not a solid state driver) for the same reasons - they're specifically designed to put out tens of kilovolts at a low enough current that they can just hang out around the general public and not easily accidentally kill people.

Also they're made by a company named FART and that's just delightful.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 15, 2024

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stack Machine posted:

Well, it's not an arduino book specifically, but a good place to start might be the second half (Ch. 11 and on in the 3rd edition) of Patt and Patel's textbook Introduction to Computing Systems. The first half of the book builds up from transistors to assembly language so your dad can safely skip that, but the second half is all of the foundation knowledge for programming in higher-level languages. My reasoning here is that there are plenty of arduino tutorials online, and both GCC and the Arduino API are very well documented, but the sort of person who prefers to program in assembly might be comforted by a more formal understanding of what the compiler does and how things like low-level library functions and device drivers are implemented.

Thanks, I'll pass it on to him but I'm not sure how "into this" he really wants to get, it can be kinda hard to tell. Sometimes he just wants to know enough to do the thing he actually wants to do, and other times he spends half a year diving into the deep end on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I want some GPIO and I2C at the end of an ethernet cable, powered by PoE.

I looked at a few microcontroller-based boards, like the Teensy 4.1, but I haven't figured out how well it supports modern protocols like HTTPS. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to deploy a secure website on a microcontroller? Not a complex site, more like a page with a button to turn an LED on and off, or an ssh command to do something similar (tho not directly exposed to the internet). I really haven't done much research here, but even contemplating the hassle is pushing me towards Linux.

But Raspberry Pis are big and run hot. I wanted something small, so I bought a Rock Pi S. I hope it doesn't suck!

Radxa Rock Pi S
Quad-core ARM Cortex-A35CPU + 512 MB, supported by Armbian.
50x43 mm, plus a PoE hat that fits on top.

I was also considering using a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and a PoE / USB dongle. (It's not just a PoE splitter, it has a USB ethernet controller inside.)

Any other boards I should be looking at? Small with PoE.