Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Each of those legs is a stack of 4 boards glued up and then shaped, you can tell from the grain direction in the edge grain flip-flopping (nicely accentuated by that ray fleck in the one closest to the camera).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah that's commercial furniture made at a factory, I just wanted to show the style. Traditional mission style woodworking is not usually laminated pieces.

this one is amish made, according to its advertisement, and makes more use of through tenons which I see a lot from this tradition although a lot of pieces fake it in ways that don't look natural if you're an actual woodworker. It does have an edge-joined top but the grain makes it obvious the legs are cut from solid pieces.

I also see a ton of pedestal tables with really chonky bases that have to be made from like 8x8s or something close to that

unless they're laminated like this one

so tl;dr is that you can laminate bits and make pretty nice furniture with big legs if you really want to and that is very normal and can look fine

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 8, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

xpost I got a bonesaw to use as a tenon saw

PokeJoe posted:

I kept sticking my fingers in the bonesaw handle hole so I filled it in w mahogany.

it works ok for $20

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm finally starting to figure out this seat carving thing on my 4th chair. I'm using poplar instead of ash, which helps, but also starting to get the hang of using the scorp. Skewing the blade is definitely the trick, but you have to do it in the right grain direction and obviously avoid going uphill or cutting too aggressively. A lot to keep track of.

I also used the travisher for the first time. Neat tool, not too tricky to use.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 11, 2024

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Scorp is a fun word to say. Kinda like big gouge you pull instead to use I believe?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah, my wife cracks up every time I mention it. It's like a drawknife, but bent into a semicircle. You use it mostly/entirely cross-grain to carve out the bowl of the seat, then the travisher cleans up the tearout and sandpaper & scrapers make it smooth.

Scorp scorp scorp

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Harbor freight had their 2HP dust collectors for $100 off so now I have a real dust collector and I don’t need to wheel a shop vac back and forth across my shop

But that also means I need to rearrange my entire shop and I need to install a bunch of plumbing for vac lines

E:
I get to rearrange my entire shop and i get to run a bunch of plumbing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I watch a lot of woodworking videos and there's something that bothers me about how much they focus on tools, and then to a lesser extent, specific projects. To me the most valuable and most difficult thing in woodworking is problem-solving.
This guy sums it up really really well in like 1 minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYLPim5kcU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

I watch a lot of woodworking videos and there's something that bothers me about how much they focus on tools, and then to a lesser extent, specific projects. To me the most valuable and most difficult thing in woodworking is problem-solving.
This guy sums it up really really well in like 1 minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYLPim5kcU
I have alot of thoughts on this but basically imo it boils down to the fact that woodworking magazines/youtube exist to sell tools. You sell tools by making it seem easy if you just have this one tool or follow these plans you buy. If it seems hard, nobody will click the 'Buy' button. That's less true for print books or stuff without ads (like Roy Underhill), and unsurprisingly those sources tend to focus more on building manual skills or figuring out how to make your own jigs/tools instead of buying one.

Teaching problem solving is hard, learning problem solving is maybe even harder, so presenting a project where all the problems have already been solved has alot of appeal too.

I know for me personally, the move to modelling pretty much everything in CAD has been huge. It's moved the the problem solving step from me in the shop scratching my head staring at some plywood scraps and measuring 14 times to cobble together a jig to me sitting at my computer where everything is dimensioned and the computer does the math.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a poor craftsman blames his tools

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

but also good tool make work easy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Before YouTube it was magazines like Fine Woodworking, I get the impression few of these shops would be above water if they had to subsist on just furniture sales with no endorsement deals

Good design and problem solving is unprofitable to teach and unintuitive for most casual hobbyists who are inexperienced with the processes and maybe kinda intimidated by a pile of rough boards, there's definitely a noticeable trend where the newbies will desperately need to know which pocket-hole machine is The Best for the one table they ever plan to make and cling to a shitload of hard-and-fast rules about what kind of stuff you're allowed to do, while the old coot who's been at it for 40 years has stripped everything down to like a sharpened screwdriver and 'eh, good enough'

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I agree with Kaiser Schnitzel: most of the money in woodworking is in selling tools to aspirational carpenters. There's a never-ending supply of suckersburned-out programmers to sell to, while it's a lot harder to find people willing to plonk out $thousands for an end table or something.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gonna be the first to figure out a line of furry art dining sets and secure an endless stream of wealthy patrons who aren't all just looking for the same kitchen cabinet but beiger this time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

psh have fun with your furry plates. I'm working on the world's first furry bandsaw

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

but also good tool make work easy

The Jessem work guides are this. So much accuracy and safety gained in one set of tools.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Higher profits certainly but I don't expect half as many liability issues from clients trying to gently caress/get vored by their sideboard

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

gonna be the first to figure out a line of furry art dining sets and secure an endless stream of wealthy patrons who aren't all just looking for the same kitchen cabinet but beiger this time

The main problem with the "end table whose legs are sculptures of Incineroar" product line is that most furries have too highly-developed of a sense of taste to fall for it :v:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I agree with Kaiser Schnitzel: most of the money in woodworking is in selling tools to aspirational carpenters. There's a never-ending supply of suckersburned-out programmers to sell to, while it's a lot harder to find people willing to plonk out $thousands for an end table or something.

My scorp was cheaper than one therapy session and I got a cool chair seat out of it. Now who's the sucker, huh?

Scorrrrrrp

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

anyone got a source for affordable cut nails?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbh I don't think woodworking youtubers et al are really driving the trend, I think a lot of it actually flows the other direction: people loving LOVE gear videos, love buying gear, love researching and comparing gear, love looking at top 10 gear videos, love watching videos to find gear they didn't know they needed

I've seen so many times across a number of hobbies where I find a really great, useful channel and sort by views and the most popular videos are all gear videos. and a lot of the time you can just scroll their history and see exactly how it played out: it's not that they built a following and then tried to sell them stuff; they got popular because people want to be sold stuff

idk though, as long as they're putting out good stuff I don't really care if they pay the bills with gear vids. I know I'm a sucker for that poo poo too sometimes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I prefer videos of people building their own gear. but then they start hawking hardware kits lol

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey, come on now! Some of us are burnt out in insurance.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have alot of thoughts on this but basically imo it boils down to the fact that woodworking magazines/youtube exist to sell tools. You sell tools by making it seem easy if you just have this one tool or follow these plans you buy. If it seems hard, nobody will click the 'Buy' button. That's less true for print books or stuff without ads (like Roy Underhill), and unsurprisingly those sources tend to focus more on building manual skills or figuring out how to make your own jigs/tools instead of buying one.

Teaching problem solving is hard, learning problem solving is maybe even harder, so presenting a project where all the problems have already been solved has alot of appeal too.

I know for me personally, the move to modelling pretty much everything in CAD has been huge. It's moved the the problem solving step from me in the shop scratching my head staring at some plywood scraps and measuring 14 times to cobble together a jig to me sitting at my computer where everything is dimensioned and the computer does the math.
I always thought the problem solving part was a large part of woodworking's appeal. If you need some furniture there's a lot faster and cheaper ways to go about it than learn to do it yourself. A bit hyperbolic, but getting it all worked out and predigested for you is just assembling flatpack. furniture with a few more steps. So unless you have something wrong with you (affectionate), why bother?

Also the aspirational angle, selling the idea if you will. The ginormous workshops with a wall of Festool systainers, maybe the entire Lie-Nielsen catalog in a bespoke wall cabinet if they want to suggest some hand work beyond sanding gets done, to show how Successful they are, with no clue how they pay for all that with meh mid-century-ish/plywood spectacular furniture. (Because they don't, they either come from money, have the traditional spouse makes all the money while he farts around in his shop playing pretend, or some influencer angle.)

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 11, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah gotta keep in mind the biggest product of YouTube shops is YouTube videos, not furniture

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PokeJoe posted:

I prefer videos of people building their own gear. but then they start hawking hardware kits lol

Yeah

3x3 Tamar comes to mind here - she used to do tons of cool jigs and stuff and now it's like "So just take your shaper origin and..."

Not woodworking, but I've been binging the clickspring videos about shop-made tools, particularly the low-tech ones he has been using for making his Antikythera Mechanism reproduction.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

watch YouTube, read book, and most importantly to your woodworking education: :justpost:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CommonShore posted:

Yeah

3x3 Tamar comes to mind here - she used to do tons of cool jigs and stuff and now it's like "So just take your shaper origin and..."

Not woodworking, but I've been binging the clickspring videos about shop-made tools, particularly the low-tech ones he has been using for making his Antikythera Mechanism reproduction.

I'll have to check those out I've been going through the Pask Makes scrap wood challenges myself

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

PokeJoe posted:

I'll have to check those out I've been going through the Pask Makes scrap wood challenges myself

Oh poo poo yeah Pask doesn't always hit for me but when he hits he hits dead centre. The other day he had me thinking about making a gigantic tap and die. I should look at his scrap wood ones.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Clickspring is on another level of fabricator. The patience, forethought, and plain old hard work make him the exact opposite of a gear salesman.

He's got a whole series on how to take a lovely mini lathe and finesse it into a precision tool worthy of a watch maker.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

anyone got a source for affordable cut nails?

dunno what counts as "affordable" but lee valley stocks em

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

something less than $15 a pound ideally

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Just Winging It posted:

I always thought the problem solving part was a large part of woodworking's appeal. If you need some furniture there's a lot faster and cheaper ways to go about it than learn to do it yourself. A bit hyperbolic, but getting it all worked out and predigested for you is just assembling flatpack. furniture with a few more steps. So unless you have something wrong with you (affectionate), why bother?

Also the aspirational angle, selling the idea if you will. The ginormous workshops with a wall of Festool systainers, maybe the entire Lie-Nielsen catalog in a bespoke wall cabinet if they want to suggest some hand work beyond sanding gets done, to show how Successful they are, with no clue how they pay for all that with meh mid-century-ish/plywood spectacular furniture. (Because they don't, they either come from money, have the traditional spouse makes all the money while he farts around in his shop playing pretend, or some influencer angle.)

For me, the value has a lot to do with the building something concrete. I do a lot of thinking work that doesn't really produce physical objects, so sometimes it's nice to have an attractive object at the end of my effort.

Also I've got that sickness instilled in me by capitalism to Buy Things for Happiness that I struggle with mightily

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I agree that a lot of the woodworking youtubers aren't exactly getting into it to sell tools, but they get free tools to sell them or at the very least they see which of their videos have the most clicks, and it's pretty natural to respond to that. I like guys like Rex Kruger for not really being about the tools at all - and he is explicit that he doesn't take free poo poo, he is usually pushing his patreon instead.

But I still see him focus as much on technique and specific projects. His videos that are absolute favorites of mine are the ones that he's done the fewest of: where he investigates an old piece of furniture and figures out how it was made. That poo poo is great becuase it's exactly my experiences trying to fix stuff, like, over christmas break I took apart my mother in law's grandmother's rocking chair to fix it and it was a really cool project that involved some basic care, a little knowledge (like, I can see this is doweled, I can see this is screwed, I can almost certainly re-break this broken piece because the repair is so bad) and then a little bit of thought and problem solving, plus just a few tools like some clamps, a set of forstner bits to drill out the dowels I had to cut, etc.

I think what maybe stymies a lot of beginners is when they try to replicate a project they see in a youtube video but they don't have exactly the same wood or the same tools or the same shop setup or the material isn't identical or they very reasonably want to modify the design a little, and then they hit that point where something doesn't quite go, or they can't figure out how to clamp something, you know: a problem, however big or small, and they have no idea what to do next. That problem-solving is a learned skill just like any other, it involves a combination of a generally resourceful attitude, a willingness to gently caress up a bit, and IMO a fair bit of experience with your own tools and the material at hand so you can improvise something from what you have, or guess in advance that a particular solution to the problem is likely to fail.

Some things I just had to learn the hard way: using a soft wood for a thing that needed a hardwood didn't work and broke immediately. You can clamp too hard. cleaning up glue squeeze out immediately is a much nicer experience then waiting till the glue is totally dried and cured. "Wipe on" does not mean you cannot use a brush. 30 different ways to split wood. Tearout at the end of a plane stroke where you run off the end of the wood is a thing you can actually not do, and there's like 3 different ways to not do that.

I'd love to see more videos of someone with a limited set of tools (e.g. not a sponsored shop full of festool) taking on a project for the first time, running into issues, and not editing those issues out but instead explaining their thought process and the ideas they had that they rejected and then the ideas they had that they settled on and how that went. I've seen one or two like that, but not very many.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

It would be nice to see videos that don’t rely on festool dominoes.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just replace them w dowels and don't feel bad about ignoring the expensive rear end tool

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't think rex kruger, paul sellers, or graham blackburn even own a domino tool, so go watch all of their stuff if you haven't already

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I appreciate how David Picciuto is completely unapologetic about his expensive poo poo. Lines like "and if you don't have a Shaper Origin, don't worry. You can just use your CNC." In general, he's entertaining to watch. I don't like the style of the majority of his work but I just watching it helps me expand how I think about my own designs and even materials.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

when I took a tour of a pro cabinet maker's shop he had an interesting mix of tools:

His machinery was gently caress off powerful - multiple three phase table saws set up for mass ripping 8/4 oak; drum sanders, etc. He also had a CNC which was set up for cutting his sheet goods, which he'd order a pallet at a time.

His smaller tools - routers, drills, clamps - were miscellaneous. All major brands were represented somewhere.

Then he had a bunch of bespoke shop-made tools. His door clamping setup was this amazing compressed air thing that clamped his 5-piece doors from all four directions at once and he'd pop some brads in there. He claimed that with his mad lad shaper setup and this door clamp that he could take prepped stock and make it into a door in like 3 minutes, so his work flow would be to spend a day on the table saw and planers prepping his stock, and then the next day making that prepped stock into doors.

Not a single festool item in the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

PokeJoe posted:

just replace them w dowels and don't feel bad about ignoring the expensive rear end tool

Anytime someone uses dowels I get sucked in. I may or may not have drunk the Kool aid and bought a Jessem jig (or two. Don't get the new one), but it's still a far cry from a domino and I can use it for basically every project.

One guy I still love (also, uses dowels) is Matthias Wandel. Just repurpose junk to store all your junk.