Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PokeJoe posted:

something less than $15 a pound ideally
https://tremontnail.com/ is where I have gotten them before, but a pound in a few different sizes has apparently been a lifetime supply for the little bit of restoration work I do so I haven't bought any in a decade.

CommonShore posted:

when I took a tour of a pro cabinet maker's shop he had an interesting mix of tools:

His machinery was gently caress off powerful - multiple three phase table saws set up for mass ripping 8/4 oak; drum sanders, etc. He also had a CNC which was set up for cutting his sheet goods, which he'd order a pallet at a time.

His smaller tools - routers, drills, clamps - were miscellaneous. All major brands were represented somewhere.

Then he had a bunch of bespoke shop-made tools. His door clamping setup was this amazing compressed air thing that clamped his 5-piece doors from all four directions at once and he'd pop some brads in there. He claimed that with his mad lad shaper setup and this door clamp that he could take prepped stock and make it into a door in like 3 minutes, so his work flow would be to spend a day on the table saw and planers prepping his stock, and then the next day making that prepped stock into doors.

Not a single festool item in the place.
Yeah I have never seen a professional shop with all the same color tools. Usually for big machines it's a mix of ancient cast iron stuff for jointer/planer/bandsaw with some more modern CNC/moulders/shapers/sanders. Sliding tablesaws used to be the backbone of production cabinet shops but they are increasingly getting phased out for CNCs because the CNC can cut all the parts and drill all the holes at the same time, faster and more accurately, with perfect repeatability if you gently caress up a part and with no changing setups between tasks.

Schiavona posted:

It would be nice to see videos that don’t rely on festool dominoes.
I fought getting a domino for a long time and it has really changed and sped up my workflow, but it is never necessary. There's always another way to make that joint. Dowels or biscuits arguably aren't quite as strong (tho in many instances they are every bit as good and generally entirely adequate), but they get the job done. I used to mostly do traditional mortise and tenons and for me where the domino really shines is for speed and angled joints. Cutting angled tenon shoulders accurately is always a bit tedious as is setting up a jig to make an angled mortise, but the Domino makes it real easy. But more traditional loose tenon joinery is also really good at solving those problems and router and some jigs or a homemade router slot mortiser is a great way to do loose tenon joinery. A domino just makes it really fast and really stupidly easy to do loose-tenon joinery for people who don't even know what a mortise and tenon joint is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://tremontnail.com/ is where I have gotten them before, but a pound in a few different sizes has apparently been a lifetime supply for the little bit of restoration work I do so I haven't bought any in a decade.

a small variety of box sounds perfect thx

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 12, 2024

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I've seen Festool around in professional settings a bunch. Big among painters for their sanders + vacuums. Dominoes also, or rather domino shaped slots, using connector type metal dominoes to hook cabinetry together during on site install. The occasional track saw (why people call them that I don't get, their defining feature is their plunge ability and the manual call them that too) for installers too. Though even when I did flooring it was mostly a complete mix of brands when it came to portable tools (though this was still mostly corded tools), and I know that was true for pretty much any place.

I'm guessing the video woodworking crowd just jumped on the priciest brand that has all the tools so they don't have to suffer the indignity of using non-color matched tools while manifesting their idea of what a ~high-end studio furniture~ shop looks like, because you sure as gently caress don't need a 1600 euro chop saw to cut your stock to rough length.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oh yeah my drywall buddy has a festool sander.

I suspect Festool's advertising/sponsorship strategy is to look for the biggest channels they can find that post things like "you don't need a domino" and they give them enough stuff so those channels come back and say "ok so I got a domino and it's actually so good"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you're giving me an idea to like dominies

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

you're giving me an idea to like dominies

No way, there are better pizzas out there.

I’m sure there’s a great convenience to using them, but woodworking existed for tens of years at least before Festool invented the domino. All they did was take an existing method and make it easy and fast to use. It’s not a bad thing, but for the majority of people who aren’t commercial shops, you don’t need it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah you see festool everywhere on youtube because festool is actively pursuing a youtube advertising strategy, while also making genuinely good tools - albeit at an absurdly high price. The people who get the festool stuff for free, find that they have a genuinely high quality tool, and that's pretty convincing

there's a line where I think it gets stupid though, like festool-branded plastic boxes to store poo poo in, when you see some woodworker stacking those things up under their bench you know they've been guzzling the coolaid or have been sent thousands of dollars of free poo poo from festool because there's no third way where these are legit the best or a good value at all

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/systainer,-sortainer-and-systainer-port/systainer/204852---sys3-org-m-87

$64 is like, uhhh. that's empty, no containers inside, just the bare case

there's no way it's even as good as say the milwaukee or husky versions at home depot which have containers inside, seal with rubber, are obviously more durable, etc.
for like $35

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-PACKOUT-5-Compartments-Small-Parts-Organizer-48-22-8435/303005752

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i just watch non-american-centric youtube stuff like dylan iwakuni or grandpa amu, while the more slickly produced ones are probably still selling something it's woodworking classes or domestic investment in Fuijan or some poo poo that has no effect on what they're actually doing or how they do it, beyond that they mysteriously have an infinite supply of time to make every joint absurdly complicated

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 12, 2024

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think part of why Festool prices seem so absurd to many woodworkers is that they compare Festool stuff to the wrong tools. Festool's whole thing is to bring the precision and capability you can get on a stationary machine in a cabinet shop to the job site-not to be an adjunct to a shop, but to be a mobile shop. Their track saw + MFT table system is meant to do the job of a table saw, not a circular saw. The Domino is meant to replicate a slot mortiser, not a biscuit joiner. The router that hooks to a track is a router table, dado stack, and drill press for 32mm cabinet systems. They make portable edgebanders and some other weird stuff you would only want if you had to do everything onsite. It's my understand that it's much more common in Europe for cabinets and stuff to be fabricated entirely on the job than it is in the US (where cabinets are usually manufactured offsite in a shop) and that's really Festool's raison d'etre.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's quite accurate and their actual target audience market yes, professionals that need precision on site and don't blink at dropping 2k on a portable, battery powered, good table saw. While I can only speak as to what I've seen myself, but a lot more seems to be done on site regarding cabinetry, doors etc. than in the US where it seems to be much more build in shop as far as possible and then install. They're to furnishings and cabinetry as Mafell with portable chain saw mortisers etc. is to the timber framing crowd.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i just watch non-american-centric youtube stuff like dylan iwakuni or grandpa amu, while the more slickly produced ones are probably still selling something it's woodworking classes or domestic investment in Fuijan or some poo poo that has no effect on what they're actually doing or how they do it, beyond that they mysteriously have an infinite supply of time to make every joint absurdly complicated

Thanks for these suggestions

As for my own, I've been enjoying this guy's youtube recently. Relevant to the discussion, he's like the anti-gear guy, he works with a very basic set of hand tools on wood he finds at home depot. He's got kind of a thick accent but you get used to it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

How do people keep that Festool track saw track from sliding around? Does it have some sort of grippy rubber backing? I've never seen one in person and when I watch people use them in videos, it looks like they never clamp it down.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Skunkduster posted:

How do people keep that Festool track saw track from sliding around? Does it have some sort of grippy rubber backing? I've never seen one in person and when I watch people use them in videos, it looks like they never clamp it down.

They do have a rubber backing, how grippy that particular one is I don't know. I got a really cheap track saw and the track has a rubber backing which you initially cut with the saw such that when you lay the track on something, you see exactly where the saw will cut. It also reduces tear out.

But also they've got little t-tracks on the bottom and one can get clamps for those which would be invisible from above.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Also since the saw is sitting on the track there’s not really any lateral forces to fight like you’d get using a straight edge. I got the cheap Kreg saw and the only time it’s thought about sliding around when cutting along the short axis of a piece a few inches wide.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

A lot of the draw of festool is user comfort too.

Soft start, quieter motors, better dust collection, inline power, lower vibration... not the sort of things you pay extra for when buying tools for other people to use.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I went with Powertec track and it definitely likes to scoot around. I might just have terrible technique but I'm guessing some are better than others. For how much cheaper those are though I can clamp it

On the clamp note I've heard conflicting things whether or not Microjig dovetail clamps will work, but at least in the case of Powertec track they work just fine.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

bobua posted:

A lot of the draw of festool is user comfort too.

Soft start, quieter motors, better dust collection, inline power, lower vibration... not the sort of things you pay extra for when buying tools for other people to use.

Which again makes sense if you’re going to be using it in someone’s finished home instead of a building site.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Oh yeah. When we we renovated apartments for rich Stockholmers we used Festool on-site all the time. Century-old buildings tend be crooked and warped and surprising in all sorts of ways, and being to deal with that immediately was a huge saver of time and resources.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

festool? more list fest-stool :smug:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

PokeJoe posted:

festool? more list fest-stool :smug:

you're not wrong, systainers are pretty reasonable to sit on when you're taking a lunch break. adjustable height, too.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Fest-Stool: Sit Taint Here

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My ADHD wants me to make a machine that'll give me a good dopamine hit and feel like a clever person. Vet my very rough idea, thread:

I've been thinking about wooden vise screws lately. I've thought about finding a big screw to make a big tap and die etc etc just to make the big wooden screw for funzies. Today Matthias's new video where he's playing with his super cheap metal lathe had me wondering if it would be possible to build a wood geared wooden screw thread cutter for my wood lathe.

The basic concept would be that I'd attach a wood gear to a face plate, which would in turn drive a gear that's attached to a threaded rod, which moves the tool (a hand tool, dremel, or router idk) down the length of the spindle at a desired TPI (determined by the gear ratio and the threaded rod's pitch) as the lathe turns the work piece.

Lots of details to hash out to make it work, obviously, but does this sound like a feasible concept in a frictionless vacuum?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I dunno if that will work but this video shows another way: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnVDl6Y6u4

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

CommonShore posted:

My ADHD wants me to make a machine that'll give me a good dopamine hit and feel like a clever person. Vet my very rough idea, thread:

I've been thinking about wooden vise screws lately. I've thought about finding a big screw to make a big tap and die etc etc just to make the big wooden screw for funzies. Today Matthias's new video where he's playing with his super cheap metal lathe had me wondering if it would be possible to build a wood geared wooden screw thread cutter for my wood lathe.

The basic concept would be that I'd attach a wood gear to a face plate, which would in turn drive a gear that's attached to a threaded rod, which moves the tool (a hand tool, dremel, or router idk) down the length of the spindle at a desired TPI (determined by the gear ratio and the threaded rod's pitch) as the lathe turns the work piece.

Lots of details to hash out to make it work, obviously, but does this sound like a feasible concept in a frictionless vacuum?

Short answer is yes but wood is soft enough it's easier to make a hand tap and die. Also instead of a geared threaded drive rod, a lot of decorative turners just use a belt and pully to set ratios because precision isn't super tight in wood.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's lots of ways to cut threads, if you just wanna dick around try a historical method

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2022/08/30/a-history-of-threaded-screws/

if you wanna do it for real just use a hand tap and die

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HappyHippo posted:

I dunno if that will work but this video shows another way: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnVDl6Y6u4

Yeah that's one method I was thinking about until today. My spin on it is 50% to make the screw without having to find a big ($) screw to copy, 50% about making a contraption.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

though the greek style one seems interesting too. Still lots to think about.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

Look around at spiral/twist/rope carving machines/attachments for wood lathes. My mentor's mentor built one that I only ever saw pictures of-IIRC it used wire ropes instead of gears, I remember him saying it worked similarly to a sears Router-Crafter, manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/491059/Craftsman-720-25251.html#manual. I think basically the router sled is on a loop or wire rope which is wrapped around a pulley connected to the lathe spindle so that as the spindle turns the router travels at a fixed distance per revolution, I guess set with different pulley ratios between the spindle and the pulley driving the wire rope for different pitches. I'm sure there was some method for indexing as well as there would be multiple flutes cut in a single post.

Here is a picture of it from FWW#53 tho I'm not sure it is entirely set up in this. The pictures my mentor had definitely had a few wire aircraft cables looping around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Look around at spiral/twist/rope carving machines/attachments for wood lathes. My mentor's mentor built one that I only ever saw pictures of-IIRC it used wire ropes instead of gears, I remember him saying it worked similarly to a sears Router-Crafter, manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/491059/Craftsman-720-25251.html#manual. I think basically the router sled is on a loop or wire rope which is wrapped around a pulley connected to the lathe spindle so that as the spindle turns the router travels at a fixed distance per revolution, I guess set with different pulley ratios between the spindle and the pulley driving the wire rope for different pitches. I'm sure there was some method for indexing as well as there would be multiple flutes cut in a single post.

Here is a picture of it from FWW#53 tho I'm not sure it is entirely set up in this. The pictures my mentor had definitely had a few wire aircraft cables looping around.

hmmm.

HMMMMMM.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I thought I had seen all the wacky old Craftsman tools and jig but holy lol.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Building a plant stand out of some white oak. The lumber came from a Habitat Re:Store a year ago, there were piles of it that had been sitting in a barn for a while, so all totally dry. Rough sawn, 7/8" thick, widths up to 12" (or at least I didn't buy anything thicker than that), all for $2 a linear foot.

This was my test run of the DowelMax, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Not quite as fast as a Domino, I'm sure, but really easy. The way it has you do the layout makes it pretty foolproof, and I was even doing it on hard mode (referencing off of a line so I could drill in the middle of an edge, and doing 2 rows of 2 dowels on each joint (totally overkill for this, but gently caress it).

I still have to cut out the leg shapes, but I was nervous about this part and it went super smoothly.

Here you can see the leg shape I've sketched out:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

resawing by hand is so bad, even w a Ryoba 😫

considering making a frame saw :classiclol:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Japanese pull saws are way too short to get a good stroke length. Also, way too fine teeth. Once you get something to like a 3 1/2 TPI 28" plate you really start to rip.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Does anyone, by any chance, have a good video or resource in their bookmarks for making a stretcher frame for an art canvas? I have all the usual hand tools plus a well tuned compound mitre saw and track saw.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Does anyone, by any chance, have a good video or resource in their bookmarks for making a stretcher frame for an art canvas? I have all the usual hand tools plus a well tuned compound mitre saw and track saw.

I've followed https://trowzersakimbo.com/blog/2018/03/10/building-canvas-stretcher-bars-from-scratch/ for a few large canvases and never had them collapse on me or otherwise do weird poo poo. The quarter-round as a riser to keep the frame members from showing through the canvas is a protip and very easy to source.

Just Winging It posted:

Japanese pull saws are way too short to get a good stroke length. Also, way too fine teeth. Once you get something to like a 3 1/2 TPI 28" plate you really start to rip.

Eh, not all japanese saws are created equal. A proper 300mm rip tooth kataba will chew through most shop-scale resaws no problem, and if you need to go bigger you can get a nice big rip-sharpened 3.5 TPI temagori-nokogiri, most of which are around 20" of blade.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

stabbington posted:

I've followed https://trowzersakimbo.com/blog/2018/03/10/building-canvas-stretcher-bars-from-scratch/ for a few large canvases and never had them collapse on me or otherwise do weird poo poo. The quarter-round as a riser to keep the frame members from showing through the canvas is a protip and very easy to source.

I'll check that one out thanks - I already have some leftover quarter round from trimming the lounge. I've watched enough Baumgartner Restorations to know the importance of a beveled frame to prevent printing lol

quote:

"temagori-nokogiri"

Ugh and thank you this too, I've been looking for bigger japanese saws for framing up green oak and google is just so incredibly hosed now.

Come to think of it, I can't think when I last saw someone get told to "just loving google it" when asking a question on any of my forums. When did we all just accept that search is dead?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

"nice" painting stretchers have wedges and fancy morticed miter ends so you can add tension to them after stretching but I'd highly recommend just buying some of those

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If it was a standard size or even divisible into multiples of 10cm I could just buy a stretcher quite reasonably and while it isn't especially large this canvas was originally on a stretcher of completely random size knocked together by the artist out of reclaimed wood, so I *can* get the frame made to order but its going to be quite pricey.

I have done those mortice/mitres before when I had to replicate some historic windows, they weren't easy but I suppose it wouldn't be that much more difficult to add some clearance for wedges.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

stabbington posted:

Eh, not all japanese saws are created equal. A proper 300mm rip tooth kataba will chew through most shop-scale resaws no problem, and if you need to go bigger you can get a nice big rip-sharpened 3.5 TPI temagori-nokogiri, most of which are around 20" of blade.

Fair, though proper rip saws seem to be strongly in the minority when it comes to Japanese saws. Big, coarse ones I've only seen for sale at one place at very hefty prices (400+ euro) whereas big old Disstons could be had for far more reasonable money (or at least, until a few years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

ReelBigLizard posted:

Come to think of it, I can't think when I last saw someone get told to "just loving google it" when asking a question on any of my forums. When did we all just accept that search is dead?

The fact that Google is dead is why I join forums for crafting poo poo. SEO crowding out useful results wouldn't be a problem if it weren't the business model