Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

deimos posted:

I think the video works as a generic "cheap plane" review. That is to say, fine to buy if you have the knowledge and time to fix it available (yourself or someone with experience). The only expensive planes I would never use are the harvey tools one (bridge city), they are just... Anti-ergonomic.
Yeah they don’t seem to be at a great price point. For $75 just get a Veritas, and if you figure on replacing the unknown-steel iron with a $50 replacement then, welp now you’re $20 away from a Veritas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I made a wrench to help my wife disassemble our large moka pot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol good idea

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dang that's a great idea. It would help contain the mess of spilled coffee ground that winds up on my counter every time I fill mine up too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My next "Make a random thing for my brother's birthday on my lathe" project is mostly done.

My brother had a backyard shed/bar built, so I decided to make him an old fashioned table lighter using a vector insert.
https://vectorkgm.com/product/insert-3t-2c/

My father in law gave me a cherry log that had a nasty growth on it. I chopped off the growth and sent the rest to the firewood pile.

After roughly cutting it to size it looked like this:

After some violence on the lathe, I got it to this point:

I needed to fill the big chunk that was missing, so I grabbed an old hot chocolate tin that I had in my basement (And was finally able to justify saving it for so long) filled it with epoxy and let it cure up over night.

(forgot to get a pic)

I pulled the piece out of the tin, threw it back on the lathe, got very annoyed at the plastic shavings, but eventually made it into this:

There's some sanding marks that the poly made evident, so I'm going to do another sand and another couple coats of poly, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The epoxy is a dark blue and black, the blue only shows up on certain angles.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just an FYI for Canadian goons who collect AirMiles. Go to the website, rewards, merchandise, home, tools & automotive...

I've redeemed the following.

Bosch 12" glide mitre saw, table saw (with folding stand) palm and 2.3hp routers, random orbital sander, circular saw, freak impact and 18v combo hammer drill. They also have other brands and tools that I already had.

Check often because tools show up disappear and reappear on the site all the time.

I've also picked up a 65" tv, ninja air fryer, and other things.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AFewBricksShy posted:

My next "Make a random thing for my brother's birthday on my lathe" project is mostly done.

My brother had a backyard shed/bar built, so I decided to make him an old fashioned table lighter using a vector insert.
https://vectorkgm.com/product/insert-3t-2c/

My father in law gave me a cherry log that had a nasty growth on it. I chopped off the growth and sent the rest to the firewood pile.

After roughly cutting it to size it looked like this:

After some violence on the lathe, I got it to this point:

I needed to fill the big chunk that was missing, so I grabbed an old hot chocolate tin that I had in my basement (And was finally able to justify saving it for so long) filled it with epoxy and let it cure up over night.

(forgot to get a pic)

I pulled the piece out of the tin, threw it back on the lathe, got very annoyed at the plastic shavings, but eventually made it into this:

There's some sanding marks that the poly made evident, so I'm going to do another sand and another couple coats of poly, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The epoxy is a dark blue and black, the blue only shows up on certain angles.

Thats really neat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey thread, it's been a while.

I'm getting back to finishing my deck / pavillion project and I'm at the roof phase.

I have a lot of 12' 1x10 boards that I put a tongue and groove profile on. I may be overthinking this, but my concern is how to attach them to the rafters. Rafters are 24" on center. I'm thinking of predrilling and using some wide flanged wood screws to hold them down with no threading in the top of the screw to allow movement, but with the screw head wide enough to provide force to keep the boards from warping. I am going to go over the 1x10 with roof sheathing, so that may inhibit the warping already... I'm just stuck in this overthinking loop.

Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nail gun goes pow pow pow

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bloody posted:

Nail gun goes pow pow pow

Is that enough to keep a 1x10 from bowing?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

Is that enough to keep a 1x10 from bowing?
Probably. That's what holds down the roof deck on every house in the country. But if you want the extra security of screws, the 1 5/8" deck screws of your choice should be more than sufficient. Drive them with a drill instead of an impact driver if you want them to really suck the board down flat and they are soft wood. Impact wrench tends to just squish the screw into the top board (and even through the board) more than it sucks it down. Pilot hole and countersink if you really wanna get fancy.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I have a wood-related question and no clue what thread to ask it in, but this seems like the place people most knowledgeable about wood would be?

I'm going to be filling a raised garden bed soon and one part of it is pretty deep, it doesn't make sense to fill it all up with good compost. I want to put some organic material in there, and coincidentally the previous residents of this place left us a bunch of firewood we're never going to use. Is there any way to tell what kind of wood it is so I know how well suited it'll be for the garden?

Pics:

Thanks!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

not really, that looks kinda like a softwood/pine but eh. if you live in the northwest that's all you're gonna find but if you're in a place w more deciduous trees you can find pretty much anything in firewood bundles.

honestly though it will probably be fine to toss in the bottom of a raised bed to take up space if you want to just be rid of it and use it for something :shrug:.

personally id put the wood in the bottom and then put a bit of compost in and give it a good hosing to fill in the gaps and reduce future settlement. then top it off w good dirt or w/e

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Do we have some handsaw wizards around? I just got this bad boy and I've never quite seen anything quite like the way it's teeth are cut. the handle is all metal too. any idea what it's for besides "sawing?"

my guess is maybe a very aggressive ripsaw but idk

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

PokeJoe posted:

not really, that looks kinda like a softwood/pine but eh. if you live in the northwest that's all you're gonna find but if you're in a place w more deciduous trees you can find pretty much anything in firewood bundles.

Thanks for the reply! My main concern would be if it was something like black walnut that would interfere with the growing of the plants, or cedar which doesn't like to break down. The wood would mainly be for filler, but it would be nice if it eventually decomposed into the soil and didn't, like, actively try to kill my veggies. (for the rest of the fill I'm getting a yard of 50/50 top soil/compost delivered)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's definitely not black walnut, the wood is pretty dark brown when raw. I don't think it's cedar based on the visible bark either. if those are your biggest concerns my random rear end amateur internet opinion is you are in the clear

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I have a wood-related question and no clue what thread to ask it in, but this seems like the place people most knowledgeable about wood would be?

I'm going to be filling a raised garden bed soon and one part of it is pretty deep, it doesn't make sense to fill it all up with good compost. I want to put some organic material in there, and coincidentally the previous residents of this place left us a bunch of firewood we're never going to use. Is there any way to tell what kind of wood it is so I know how well suited it'll be for the garden?

Pics:

Thanks!

looks like a cottonwood/poplar variety. If I saw that wood outside my house, I'd have a very specific guess but I don't know where you are.

As a combo woodworker/garden guy, I'd say that looks fine for hugulculture planting - maybe even too nice.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

CommonShore posted:

looks like a cottonwood/poplar variety. If I saw that wood outside my house, I'd have a very specific guess but I don't know where you are.

As a combo woodworker/garden guy, I'd say that looks fine for hugulculture planting - maybe even too nice.

Based on the color, bark, and how stringy it is, I think you are spot on with your poplar guess. Garbage wood.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Great, thanks everyone!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

PokeJoe posted:

Do we have some handsaw wizards around? I just got this bad boy and I've never quite seen anything quite like the way it's teeth are cut. the handle is all metal too. any idea what it's for besides "sawing?"

My guess would be some kind of buck saw. Definitely for very wet wood, with enormous gullets to deal with the soaking wet saw dust. Gut feel on the handle would place it pretty late, hand saw wise, somewhere before or around gas chain saws became affordable. (Though I could be very wrong on that.) Teeth definitely have had a beating, and I can't tell if there's any set left on them. But that'd be my semi-educated guess, a buck saw, simplified teeth geometries from more elaborate ones used when these were the tool of the trade for cutting up logs, made sometime in the twilight years of doing that by hand.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm guessing it's not for wood. Maybe it's an ice saw?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CommonShore posted:

I'm guessing it's not for wood. Maybe it's an ice saw?

I didn't even consider this 🤔

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just Winging It posted:

My guess would be some kind of buck saw. Definitely for very wet wood, with enormous gullets to deal with the soaking wet saw dust. Gut feel on the handle would place it pretty late, hand saw wise, somewhere before or around gas chain saws became affordable. (Though I could be very wrong on that.) Teeth definitely have had a beating, and I can't tell if there's any set left on them. But that'd be my semi-educated guess, a buck saw, simplified teeth geometries from more elaborate ones used when these were the tool of the trade for cutting up logs, made sometime in the twilight years of doing that by hand.

I would expect some rakes in a bucksaw but maybe! I really have no idea what it is

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Yeah, that makes me question it too, but I just threw that in there because the lack of rakers etc. may very be explained by less complex therefor cheaper to manufacture. But I might be totally wrong too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

I'm guessing it's an old, cheap ripping saw for fresh, green wood. Perhaps for log cabins, resawing boards, cutting square posts out of logs, etc? The teeth at the tip and rear look like a series of chisel tips, I'm assuming the middle ones are rounded because they're just so worn out.

I'm not thinking it's for ice, the TPI is too small and they typically use a different tooth profile.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Metal handle on an ice saw just seems cruel too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Metal handle on an ice saw just seems cruel too.

from my very quick look, it was commonplace. The water would have been bad for wood handles. Just wear heavy-rear end gloves. All of my ice augers, scoops, etc etc are metal.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Having a great time loving up my bookshelf project. Everything is being done on the ground outside since I have no workbench. RIP my knees. So far I'm struggling to make things square, and I've screwed up about 16sqft of plywood by measuring badly and misaligning dados. However, the dados are tight and straight so I'm on to something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have often said that bandsaws are the safest powered saws and had safely used one daily for almost 15 years without incident but yesterday I stuck my finger in the blade. Could have been much worse, just a little 1/4" deep slice from the middle of my nail to the tip of my finger (thankfully not thru to the bottom of my finger) and it honestly is less painful than some splinters I've gotten but it's gonna take a bit longer to heal. Like every machine-related injury I've ever gotten, it happened at the end of a long sweaty day after 5 when I wanted to 'just finish this one thing'. I'm not 100% sure what I did. It was right after I finished a cut, and I must have swiped my right hand too close to the blade as I was moving my hand back to reset and cut the next board. Painful reminder to slow down, take your time, cool off, it can wait until you're fresh in the morning.

On the up side, stayin off machines for a few days will make me finally figure out how to inlay on the CNC.

Minor gore pic for the curious sickos that want to see:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As someone dealing with a broken thumb at the moment (bicycling is dangerous!), glad you're okay.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Yowch, at least your saw seems to be cutting straight.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Sorry about your injury Kaiser, I almost got hit by my bandsaw once. I had turned it off but left the dust collection running and did a small task. I returned to the bandsaw, held my tape measure up to it to adjust the fence when the tape measure got sucked in and the tape measure cut a couple of my fingers. Now I make sure to always use the brake to stop the blade as it runs a long time and having the dust collector running means you can't hear it.

In non-injury woodworking, I moved the case of my new media console into place. I still need to make a solid faceframe and four sliding doors for it, but it took up almost my whole shop (it's 8' wide) so I had to get it in place while I work on the rest. I really wasn't sure if it would sag or not once in place as it is a large span, the whole thing bowed upwards at glue up as I didn't have a flat spot to assemble it, so it was sitting on sawhorses and the sides sagged down. I figured that upward bow would even out once it was supported by the legs, but surprisingly it still has a bit of an upward bow, even fully loaded. I'm considering putting in a centre leg at the back and then removing the back panel to let the bow settle out then re-attach the back. It'll be much easier to do the face frame and doors if it's flat.

Then once the face and doors are done I will be building an open shelf to sit on the left side, similar to the cabinet on the right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can I see the weird saw? The image was a discord attachment, so it's gone now.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my bad here's a better link

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can you tell us more about the... pineapple?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's a cat scratcher thingy

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I am fairly sure that's an ice saw like others have mentioned. Probably used to cut blocks for a fridge before electricity.

Any wood handles ones probably would not have survived to be vintage (the wood).

I am a bit curious about the rivets. May be the saw is new enough that those are new fangled rustless steel which may put it at 1930s or so.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Probably. That's what holds down the roof deck on every house in the country. But if you want the extra security of screws, the 1 5/8" deck screws of your choice should be more than sufficient. Drive them with a drill instead of an impact driver if you want them to really suck the board down flat and they are soft wood. Impact wrench tends to just squish the screw into the top board (and even through the board) more than it sucks it down. Pilot hole and countersink if you really wanna get fancy.

Perfect, thank you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thank you for showing me the weird saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Woodworking: Thank you for showing me the weird saw