Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

For making radiator covers/shrouds, any reason not to use poplar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you're using poplar I assume you're painting it in which case plywood would be safer as far as warpage.

I thought about plywood but I’m planning on shaker-style with slats versus using big sheets of stamped metal, and wasn’t sure how well plywood would work for that versus a solid (whole? Whatever) wood.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Just how bad are the blades that come with tools anyway? I have DeWalt table and miter saws, and a Milwaukee circular, and just use the blades they came with. I’ve done a decent amount of ripping on the table saw, normal usage of the miter, and barely use the circular.

Is it worth replacing them with CMT or Diablo blades if I’m thoroughly a hobbyist? What am I potentially losing with the stock blades?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Danhenge posted:

It's got as good as that poster's uncle, but I'm pretty pleased with how my shelf turned out.

The top is going to have some cushions for our cats to lounge on and look out the dining room window.

Love the routing on the interior edges

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Two totally separate questions for everyone:

First, my wife wants me to make a box to keep all of the stuff from the baby we're about to have, and I have a few pieces of mahogany that I think will do the trick. Is making box joints with a table-mounted router in ~3/4" mahogany feasible, or does a wood like that require a table saw?

Second, I'm building new radiator covers out of poplar. Some of them are Shaker-style with slats, while others will have that pattered aluminum sheeting that you've seen in 100 year old houses like this: https://fichman.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?i=backbayrc

For the aluminum ones, am I good to assemble everything and then paint using a sprayer, or do I need to do the metal separately? Is there anything I need to do in order to prep it?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Skunkduster posted:

Unless you are dead set on box joints, it might be worth considering options that are better suited for a router table like a 45 degree lock miter. Another option would be to just use screwed butt joints and cover the ugliness with some 90 degree brass corner moulding.

Box joints just seemed like a nice project, no real reason to use them other than that.

I have a table saw, but it doesn’t accept a dado stack so I was unsure if building a jig and using that would be ideal.

Box will be maybe two feet wide, a foot deep, and less than eight inches high. More for things like ultrasounds and paperwork than anything big.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I have some painting/finishing questions for the thread.

I’ve built two radiator covers out of poplar, and sprayed a coat of water-based primer on one of them. They will eventually be painted some form of white.

1: Should I be using oil-based instead of water-based?
2: If yes, can I use it in a HVLP sprayer?
3: If yes, can I just spray it over the coat of water-based I applied?
4: How many coats of primer would you use? I assume sand with 220+ in between coats.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

1. Doesn't matter
4. One if it gives sufficient coverage for your topcoat. You said the topcoat is white, that usually covers very nicely.

Are you concerned about woodgrain/texture showing through? That's a separate thing from getting good adhesion and color coverage IMO.

A little concerned about woodgrain (poplar is new to me) as well as wood fill that I used on screw holds showing through. I've messed up pine enough times to just be wary.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I have a finish question for the thread:

I'm very much just getting started in the hobby, and my wife asked me to make a box to hold a bunch of things related to our baby; sonograms, etc. This coincided with my dad dropping off a bunch of wood he reclaimed (?) by chopping up tables and dressers that he somehow collected.

I went for something simple, made some mistakes, and here we are:

there's some sanding left to do on the inside of the lid, but once that's done, I'm not sure how to finish it. In the past, I've painted or stained anything I've made. What's the recommendation for a clear coat finish? I'm not 100% sure what the wood even is, my dad said it was cherry, but could be wrong.

Additionally, when I built it in my garage, the lid was mostly flat. I've brought it inside to finish it, and it's started to bow, I'm guessing because of the humidity change. Is there a standard way to fix that before finishing?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Thanks all for the input and expertise on finishes!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Just wanted to show off a thing my dad made for us, based on a picture I took in Iceland

He gave me a legend of the wood types (it’s a lot) but I don’t know where it is atm

This is wild, what a cool gift.

Does anyone have experience with benchtop bandsaws? My dad has had a full size one that’s been broken for probably fifteen years, and he’s accepted that he’s never going to get it fixed. He’s interested in the benchtop ones so he can cut various shapes out of wood that will probably max out at 2 inches thick, and usually be about an inch (not using it for milling or anything).

Are they kinda like drill presses where they seem to all be the same machine from the same factory with maybe some tolerance differences? I’m thinking of getting him the Wen from Home Depot but want to hear if that’s a bad idea versus waiting for something to pop up on marketplace.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Calidus posted:

I have new nemesis, the people selling montessori poo poo made out of Baltic Birch on Etsy. I have choose between make them myself or letting my wife buy them.

Our Lovevery gym showed up and not only is it unfinished Baltic birch, but the fit and finish isn’t even that great.

My wife said she wanted a small bookcase for baby toys, so at least it’ll be easy to make something that matches!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I've been making do with a miter saw, circular saw, and hand tools, but I'd like to get a table saw. I have a somewhat small space to work with - what's the current go-to suggestion for a portable tablesaw?

What’s your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

It would be nice to see videos that don’t rely on festool dominoes.