Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Tool question time!

I've been building up a simple home shop to work on odds and ends, but I'm still lacking a table saw. I have a very limited space, and the bulk of a decent table saw keeps putting me off, as essential as it is. So far I've been able to come up with alternative methods to build simple things, but I'm hitting a capability wall pretty fast.

I've got a one car garage to work with, and it already has too much stuff. I'm renting the place so I can't make any serious modifications, and I also can't remove some of the stuff that's filling it up.

My main questions is: is a tablesaw so important that I should find or make a way to shoehorn it in? If I get a fairly small one, will I be giving up so much power and table surface that it isn't worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Well, it comes down to what are you going to do with it? Build cabinets? Boxes? Dimension rough sawn lumber? (I'm guessing no, haha.)
A little contractors portable 10" saw that can fit a dado blade would fit 90% of my needs. (Bosch or Dewalt) Buy what ever you can afford
and that fits your space. You definitely need a table saw for most projects (and a radial arm saw, hahaha).

Flip side: Let me see if I can find the youtube video of the guy building a wooden tablesaw using a Makita track saw to dimension the plywood. I was amazed with what he did, enough so that I bought a track saw.

You guessed it, I won't be doing any crazy lumber dimensioning on it.

How about this guy: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/4313356784.html
Obviously actually buying used is condition dependent but this one looks decent. It's also a few days old so I'll give the guy a call in the morning. The rolling stand is pretty much what I'd build for it anyway too.

I know what you mean about a good track saw, I borrowed one awhile back and it was awesome for plywood work.

Slugworth: I've already got a circular saw and a homemade track for it, but its only so capable. The real thing would be much better.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

If it will fit a 8" dado stack, offer him $300 cash. Home Depot just cleared out the Dewalt equiv for $250 last week. I almost bought one, but I have a 56' Atlas 10" Cabinet saw sitting in Olympia.

HD isn't still selling that is it? I was just there the other day too, didn't think to look at powertools, dammit. Good point on the dado capacity. I'll call the guy and find out if it's worth my trouble (and money).

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nosleep posted:

Does anyone know of good plans/instructions for making a bench top router table? I haven't really been able to find much on YouTube and there seem to be lots of plans/options out there just searching google but just curious if anyone knew of one that they liked and had good plans available. I don't really have a shop so a bench top version is better so I can move it around and clamp it to my portable worktable.

You're in luck, I've been working on that same problem. I had to build mine to break down for storage, so I mounted it off the edge of a work table.

I added a premade router lift and plate, but I had a homemade mounting plate on it for awhile and it worked fine. I'm not super happy with my fence, I'm going to be remaking it much taller and more actually square this time.

Are you trying to make the whole thing? Are you going to make a fence, mounting system, etc?

Also, do you want complete plans or are you going to customize it?

This one is pretty simple, and it'd be easy to modify the plan a little bit to suit whatever your needs are:
http://www.handymanclub.com/Portals/0/uploadedfiles/Router-Table.pdf

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nosleep posted:

The plan you linked is actually one that I found and it's the one I like the most that seems most straight forward/effective. I'm still fairly new to woodworking so it would definitely be a project but I would probably learn a lot. The plans use biscuits which I don't have a biscuit joiner, so it may just be a little harder to get things aligned perfectly. It uses a premade plate which I'm willing to buy, but I don't think it has a lift. How would you raise and lower the bit in a table like this?

Before I had the lift I made a plate that took the place of the stock baseplate. Since I was still using the router's base, I just used the built in adjustment threading.

Basically I did this: http://www.wwgoa.com/shop-made-router-base-plates/

I've used the circle cutter jig he shows as well.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

heya guys

so i'm making a new workbench. the top is made of 2x3s oriented vertically, so the workbench is 2.5" thick. It's around 13' long.

I can do one of two things to get a flat top. I can put 1/2" ply on top, or I can remove the milled edges. I'd rather not use plywood. How would you go about removing about 1/8" off the top of a 2'x13' surface?

I didn't want to saw it off before glueup because I have a tiny table saw and i'd tip over for sure handling 8' lengths and I didn't want to chop them up into manageable lengths because I thought it would be stronger that way.

Plywood or hardboard isn't the worst option if you get something half-decent. Obviously you won't get the sweet planed down 2x3 edges, but it provides a nice cheap sacrificial surface that you can always replace later if/when it gets all beat up and covered in god knows what. And if you change your mind, just rip it off and plane it down sometime in the future.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Buy a house with separate building you can use for woodworking. My shop is 16x20 but I only use half so about 16x10. It's a little cramped but I have a table saw, band saw, drill press, lathe, dust collector, planer, and 2 workbenches that will soon be torn out; and still I've built a dining table and some cabinets in addition to side tables and other small projects.

Can you post a picture of your space? I've got a similarly sized space to work with and I've been struggling to make it work as I build my shop capacity.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I'm out of town, when I get back I will try to get a good picture or barring that, the floor plan.

Awesome, thanks.

I've been working on new piece for my garage that'll be a combo tablesaw outfeed and router table, so when I finish that I'll get a good picture of my whole setup to compare.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

In the meantime... as you walk in door... the TS is in the center. Drill, DC, lathe to the left. Lathe is in the floor space right now and will eventually go somewhere else. There are 2 wall workbenches, one left and blocked by the lathe, the other against the wall next to door. Bandsaw is left between door and workbench. All other machines move around. Sheet goods are against right wall. Wood storage is in the back half of the shop which I plan to clean out and use someday. Building anything big means doing all the assembly at once, finishing, then getting it the hell out. TS is also a workbench. You can see why I mostly do small projects because big ones are doable but inconvenient.

edit:

As promised awhile back, here's my one car garage shop setup. I was waiting to get my tablesaw rolling table finished enough (in foreground of first pic) to rearrange the whole space to how you see it. It's still a jumbled mess after my reshuffle and cleanup, but it's much better than it was before. I've also learned that MDF is the devil and I plan on never working with it again unless I have a world class dust collection system. I've worked in the driveway as much as possible but still coated everything in the garage with brown powder despite having vacuums running as much as possible. It also clogs the filters on the vacuums so fast they end up turning into dust sources themselves.

I made all of the tables you see, starting with the long one along the left wall. At the time I didn't have the miter saw yet, so if you saw it in person it's wonky as hell. Then I gradually built up the wheeled miter saw stand, the router table that's on the end of the long table (covered in poo poo but you can see the fence), and soon I'll be adding some sort of storage unit for all of my stock.

I also plan on moving the router lift from the corner piece it's on now to be integrated in the tablesaw outfeed table.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

I lack a good table saw and/or miter saw for precision cuts so I would end up with a nonsquare piece of a poo poo. I only have a bench saw built into my work bench but it is definitely not as accurate as I would like. I'll end up buying one to start and building one at a later time. The kreg bench router table looks decent actually.

You could also look into just buying the router lift or mounting plate, then build the table itself. That's the route I went and it's worked out great. At the time I didn't have a tablesaw either, just a lovely circular saw and a whole bunch of plywood.

Maybe you should consider getting a table or miter saw before the router setup, depending on what work you plan to do in the near future.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

stabbington posted:

Crosscut Hardwoods at 4100 1st Ave S. in Sodo is always a good bet, and I'm pretty sure they carry walnut ply normally. Decent prices in general, and a lot of stuff you just can't get anywhere else.

I just went down there for the first time a couple weekends ago and was pretty impressed. I'm still learning my way around all the hardwoods so it was a little overwhelming, but I'll definitely be going back when I need something specific.

On another note, my current project:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now that's cool. I'd imagine they could be painted in all sorts of colors too, wooden shades, new trend?

They've been around for awhile but most of the one's I've seen are just laser cut in a flat pattern, sometimes out of plywood even. I'm planning on giving it a darkish stain then polyurethaning the hell out of it.

It was surprisingly easy to make these with just a bandsaw and belt sander plus alot of patience.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've got a quick question related to the sunglass project I posted earlier.

I'm planning on using a dark stain on them, then putting a top coat over that. What coating (shellac, polyurethane, etc) should I use if I want a high gloss finish that safe to have touching my face regularly?

Also, does anyone know of a place to find for the temples? My fallback plan is to tear some out another pair of glasses, but I'd prefer to get new ones. The only source I've come across is a Chinese website that has minimum orders of like 15 pairs, and the shipping costs more than the parts. I've tried a couple of eyeglass shops hoping they had spare parts but didn't have any luck. I'll keep pressing on that front unless someone has a better idea.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Jointer or thickness planer? I have a thickness planer, and it's super handy...but I still haven't learned to use a regular hand plane properly.

Last time I was at Home Depot I picked up a small sheet of .05" acrylic. I'm thinking if I clamp this to my router fence, then I can turn my router into an ad-hoc jointer -- just rig the router with a straight bit to remove .05" and run a board past. Haven't tried it yet since I have other projects I have to force myself to finish, but the concept seems sound at least. I had a hell of a time finding anyone at Home Depot who could help me find a thin, reasonably sturdy piece of material though. They kept trying to convince me to get a sheet of plywood.

Are you trying to do this with a loose router or a router table? I've done exactly what you described with my router table and a .063" sheet of steel. The only downsides are that the max thickness you can joint is however tall your longest bit it, and that I never incorporated a featherboard or other forcing method so sometimes the workpiece can lift off the bit a little bit and force me to make another pass to clean it up.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bimmian posted:

That sounds interesting, don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but I haven't used a biscuit joiner in years so I might be forgetting something.

In other news, so worth it.

Cleaned out my tablesaw with it (really needed it, so lots of fine sawdust... can't see any in the vac itself.

Now to get some proper tubing and adapters and make a little cart for it. My shop is rather small, so I was thinking of a design that would put the cyclone stacked above the vac. Not sure if stability would be an issue though, I'd certainly need a larger and heavier base.

I think it's also time to get a decent flexible hose, 2-3" 10+ft. Suggestions?

I did exactly what you're describing and it works great. My shop is super tiny so every bit of space is precious, and keeping dust down is super important. I've just used the hose from the shopvac instead of dedicated tubing so I can disconnect it and use for other things. The whole thing was slapped together in an hour or so, so it looks like hell and could be much more elegant.

I'm using the 10' long 2-1/2" diameter hose from Woodcraft. I highly recommend the threaded adapters for the end like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KB826IU/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I'm revamping my homemade shop vac before I am starting on the DC project so it won't be such a huge clumsy lump in my shop. Took some inspiration from woodgears again and the V1 dust collector he made, I feel like I am turning into a woodgears shill.

This is the new design, painted parts of it so it won't get so dirty. Lighter and more compact design, the cyclone assembly is attached to the frame, the bucket will be easy to take on and off as well. Replacing the old pipes with a wooden box instead, that's also attached, and a new hepa filter.

Do you have some sort of airlock or seal at the bottom of the cyclone? Does the garbage can fit up tightly to the green disc under the cyclone somehow that's not obvious in your pictures?

The way you have it set up the vacuum is pulling air from both the inlet end and the bottom of the cyclone.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

One Legged Ninja posted:

Don't try using one of those while holding the wood. Clamp it down firmly. They are not forgiving.

Thirding this. Clamp the poo poo out of it to your drill press table. Also rotate the cutter a couple times by hand to make sure it doesn't hit the clamps, its easy to do if you have a small workpiece.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I was going to try and wet and bend some plywood but that didn't turn out very well, soaked them for a day+ and they still crack when bent. I assume there's gotta be steam or boiling water for this to work, not just water?

What kind of plywood and how much are you trying to bend it? Does it need to be structural? If not can you get away with kerf bending?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I started asking about this in the Discord but I have more focused questions now.

I moved into a new place a few months ago and it's white everywhere. The walls, the trim, the countertops, cabinets, tile, literally everything. I want to get this done well from the get-go so things actually match around the house.

I'm planning to start un-whiteing it by adding wood trim to places that don't have trim, and eventually replacing the existing making GBS threads trim to match. Since all the premade trim I can find is white or totally unfinished, I need to figure out a plan to finish everything.

I've already started color experimenting with a couple of sample pieces of pine and red oak with a few misc stains I had lying around and will continue to do that with new wood and stain samples as I find decent options. Based on the descriptions gel stain seems like a great option for ease of use and because it'll help avoid the blotchiness that comes with most cheaper woods (pine, hemlock). Does anyone have experience with gel stains and can recommend one?

Regardless of what color and species I end up with I'll need to have a protective finish. I was reading Flexners book but he doesn't recommend specific brands very much. In the Discord chat I was recommended Emmet's Good Stuff. Is that considered a gel varnish? Is it appropriate for large scale application on trim or is it overkill?

loving finish labeling sucks so bad.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is it normal for cut maple to smell like its burning?

I'm doing a project with some and made a few test cuts, and after I took my respirator off the whole shop smelled like burned wood. My miter saw blade is plenty sharp and there were no burn marks on any of the fairly clean cuts.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Can it be burning even though there's no burn marks on the work pieces?

It is heavy as gently caress though, I keep doing a doubletake when I pick up the stock after working with cheap pine or at most poplar, which look pretty similar.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality clear finish? Someone recommended Emmet's Good Stuff which looks fantastic but seems to not be in stock anywhere at the moment.

I'd like to stick with a gel like Emmet's if possible but I have projects that need finishing and I'd rather not wait for it to reappear.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
According to the bandsaw setup video someone linked recently the best general purpose blade is a 3tpi 1/2" skip tooth.

I have a relatively small saw (10", 72-1/2" long) and I can barely find skip tooth blades in any TPI.

Does anyone have a good source for blades or should I just find the nearest thing to the ideal?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

So I'll kick it back to you: what sorts of projects do you want to do on your saw? I bet you don't need a skip tooth blade, and you might do better with 4-6 TPI than 3TPI depending on what your projects are.

I'd like to use it for small woodworking projects with hardwoods and some softwoods for things like large curves, notching corners, or other irregular cuts that are impractical or impossible on the table or miter saw.

I've had a bandsaw for awhile but barely use it because of the horrible surface finish and I've never been able to get one to track even vaguely straight.

I recently aquired this 10" saw after having an even smaller one for awhile and I'd like to set it up well. The blade on it needs replacing anyway. I'm pretty sure it'll take a 1/2" blade because the info plates on it give tensioning and curve info for that size.

If I can get it tuned well I'll probably try stuff like light duty resawing.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the bandsaw advice everyone. I won't stress over the blade choice too much and will focus the setup.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Metalworking tools can be quite handy for woodworking, no problems with a DRO to make two identical slots on each side of the catapults.

What is a mill but a really well controlled router? Or is a router a free range mill?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finish my english workbench, its about half done right now (https://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/knockdown-english-workbench/)
Improve my general shop storage situation
Convert my kitchen cabinets to glass panel
Add trim to several windows
Change other trim to match
Build a cloths drying rack
Build a swinging TV mounting arm
Build a couple picture frames
Make a shitload of wall mount shelves

These are just the projects that involve wood specifically...

Speaking of trim like molding, window casings, etc. what's a good finish to use? Just standard polyurethane? Some heavy duty flooring finish so I can do one coat? Because I pretty much have to work in a 1 car garage I'd rather avoid spray setups if possible, but I've heard HVLP's are pretty easy and clean to use. Between the various bits of trim I want to add/swap, plus the large amount of shelving, I have alot of surface to finish so I'm trying to find something efficient.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Progress on the bar. I'm at about 98% done.

What brand and color of green is that on the walls?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

Benjamin Moore Webster Green.
It looks really good with the Hamilton Blue in the next room

Dammit now you've got me rethinking the whole color scheme I had planned.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I have this old No 6 Stanley that was in a pile of junk of my grandfathers that I'm having trouble with. When it's all sharpened up it works great, but if anything hits the blade hard enough it shift upward relative to the chip breaker. It's been happening repeatedly hitting knots trying to flatten the workbench I'm building (cheap wood)

I'm tightening it until the chip breaker bottoms out, and I've got the frog on as tight as possible as well.

Is there anything I can do to secure it better?

Block plane in the background for scale.

edit: On closer inspection its not a Stanley, but someone replaced the iron itself with a Stanley one.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 8, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
No oil but the surfaces are a bit pitted. I gave them a wire brushing when I got it but didn't thoroughly derust it. Chipbreaker screw is tight enough to bottom out the chipbreaker on the iron, and I've got the lever cap tight and even tighten the screw more after engaging the lever.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I think there's a chance you have a franken-plane, e.g. not all the parts match. Maybe someone replaced a screw with another screw that is too short or the wrong geometry? Also it may be a stanley/bailey plane even if there are no Stanley markings in the cast iron: use these sites for guidance.
https://www.timetestedtools.net/2017/02/05/dating-hand-planes-start-page/
http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm
https://woodandshop.com/identify-stanley-hand-plane-age-type-study/

If you disassemble and take pictures I may be able to help. I'm also not totally clear on which screws are "bottoming out" and/or how the frog, iron, chip breaker, and cap are positioned and any of those may be the source of your trouble.

Thanks for the links, I might have narrowed it down a bit.

The iron itself is most likely a Stanley type 6 because of the "STANLEY PAT APL 19, 92". The rest of the parts I'm less sure about, but based on this link I think it's an Ohio Tool Company model based on this link. The evidence I have is the model number style and position, the shape of the frog, the twisted one piece adjustment lever, and a very slight maroon color that might be a remnant of the original red paint.

As for my original issue, I have the chip breaker as tight to to the iron as it will go, and I get the lever cap plenty tight as well. I'm not convinced the frog is the original either, it doesn't seem to sit right on the bed as seen in the last picture. I've got it shifted all the way forward and there's still a pretty good sized gap to the throat.

edit: imgur issues, will add pics shortly added

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 10, 2021

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for uploading pics!

I agree that your frog doesn't match the plane. the frog is also damaged - you can see how on the right side (on the left in the quoted photo) doesn't have the same machined surface as on the left side, because it's been broken out. You could fix the problem of the screws securing the frog bottoming out by cutting off a bit at the end of the screws (or buying shorter screws) or by stacking more washers (see below), but that would not fix the bigger problem of the frog sitting too far back from the mouth in the sole.

It might be that those washers aren't original and by removing them you might get a bit more forward travel with the iron, enough for it to position properly in the mouth. I've seen one washer but never two stacked, which suggests to me that the previous owner was trying to deal with the same issue of the screws being "too long" by adding washers, which may in turn be forcing the frog too far back. Might just be a trick of the camera but it looks to me like one set of washers is larger than the other in diameter, too, which is causing the frog to sit at an angle in your pic? At the bare minimum, try swapping out equally sized washers that are no larger than needed to give secure even pressure on the frog.

But honestly I think the real problem is just as you said: this frog doesn't match this plane sole, even if it's the same basic design. There should be plenty enough travel in the frog slots to allow the iron to sit anywhere in the mouth, not just barely maybe clear the back of it. The screws should fit properly and secure down snug ant tight with just one washer. And the frog should have support for the iron on both sides of the screw holes, not just one.

I'm sorry, this is a rough start to plane restoration. eBay has parts for sale, you might be able to find a matching frog; or you could just keep this "plane" as a source of parts for other planes and not try to recover it.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I knew something was up as soon as I saw the doubled washers, thats a halfassed fix job hallmark. If it weren't so badly chipped up and the slots already at their extents, I'd be tempted to mill out the slot larger. If that frog is even ~1/8" further towards the throat I'll bet it would work.

I'm not overly attached to this plane but it'd be super handy if I could get it working well. It already works half decent even with the damage and mismatched parts.

Is this frog likely to work? Seems to match from what I can see not crazy expensive.

Next I'll post some pictures of the transitional Stanley #4 (I think) that I need to fab a replacement part for.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Looks like the right design. I've not verified your identification of your plane (I can't, really) although it does seem reasonable; nor can I verify the seller's ID of the part, but if you're both right then it should work. $15 + $10 shipping seems OK?

I'll have to think about then. Thanks again for the help!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was lazy and just bought a counter top to go with the legs.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been planing doug fir all week for my new work bench and its awful. I get a good shaving if: I'm going along the grain in the wood's preferred direction (like Falco is getting at), I'm not running over knots, and I haven't dulled the blade way down by slamming it into too many knots recently. Even then I get random tearout in places. The knots also get cut less each pass, so they inevitably end up as high spots. I resorted to periodically switching to a block plane and shaving down just the knots.

Definitely try it on decent hardwood before you get too dispirited. Even a less knotty piece of pine or something will be less frustrating.

Doublecheck your technique of course, and it sounds like you know the go to resources already.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bandsaws for cutting meat are absolutely a thing though.

I once used my small bandsaw to cut a huge block of frozen ground beef in half. I was trying to avoid defrosting the whole block.

Took me an hour to get all the bits of meat out of the tight spaces in the saw. They didn't stay frozen very long.

I do not recommend doing this.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
How easy/hard is cherry to dye stain consistently? I just finished a project with maple and it was a pain in the rear end to keep it consistent.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I am trying to build a bassinet for our baby that will arrive soon and so far I have the basket part done. I have a question about the physics of swinging.

I am wondering if there is any advantage/disadvantage to each approach. Its a little hard for me to visualize swinging in my head. Am I over-thinking this? I think my original plan would be the easiest to do, but I could probably do the other ones if it makes a big difference.

Like someone else said, the speed that it will swing at is determined by the length between the pivot point and the center of gravity of the swinging mass. Longer distance = slower swing. Weight doesn't affect the rate at all.

If you want to get all mathy here's the equation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum#Period_of_oscillation

The 'L' in that equation is the distance I'm talking about. If you make a best guess at where the CoG of the cradle+baby is I'll bet you can pretty accurately predict the swinging rate. No idea what rate babies prefer.

Maybe get a collection of eye bolts with different lengths so you can tune it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sadi posted:

A couple dumb rear end questions. I have no back ground in wood work, though a reasonable amount in machine work.

1st, I’m buying a birch butcher block counter top to use as the top for a standing desk since I work from home. I like the natural wood colors, is there a recommended finish y’all would choose? I’ve finished with linseed oil before, so I was thinking of that or tung.

If you want to keep the wood looking as natural as possible look into polyurethane topcoats. There's a bunch of variations but the basic oil or water based type work great. Oil based will yellow very slightly and water based is nearly clear but both don't change the look of the wood very much.

Polyurethane should be more durable than the "oil" options you listed. Side note - stain and finish product naming is incredibly misleading sometimes so don't assume the label is an accurate description of what it is.

Stick to satin finish unless you want the plasticy look.

I made a butcher block desk recently too and it works great, I hope you enjoy yours!