Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Joe Pickett is pretty good. I didn't recognize the main actor as Gordo Stevens from For All Mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Lol thanks for this. Probably too silly for me but I'll definitely give it a try. I do have a thing for supernatural police procedurals.

We binged the first season of Dark Winds on AMC. It's a 6 episode arc featuring Navajo tribal police trying to solve a double-murder and a bank robbery. It's based at least loosely on the Tony Hillerman mystery novels. The lieutenant is played by Zahn McClarnon who apparently will always play a tribal police officer (Res dogs, Longmire). For some reason Rainn Wilson is in it as a used car dealer. Anyway, we liked it a lot, pretty decent season long plot, good acting, lots of southwestern scenery. There's even some spooky supernatural elements scattered throughout. In some ways I wish they'd leaned into these a little more but at the same time I liked how it's like this real thing to the cops where they have to do normal cop things but also yes, you have to search the house of the witch who tried to curse you and steal your hair. Somehow it missed being spectacular and I'm not sure why. There were two or three conversations among the Navajo talking about forced sterilization, boarding schools, etc that felt a little out of place like it was entirely for the white audiences benefit and not something they would even need to talk to each other about. I'm also wondering if setting the show in the 1970's, the aesthetic choices in production to make it feel older maybe just make it feel like it's lacking in production quality. Anyway, a recommend if you're into stuff like True Detective or Mystery Road and I'm looking forward to starting S2 soon.

I love this show. Zahn McClarnon has been killing it with two great shows on at the same time, with Reservation Dogs

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

AcidCat posted:

Nice. I'm still hoping someday they can get the musical rights sorted and bring this to a streaming platform.

And Godzilla 1985 while you're at it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spiteski posted:

Oooh I've caught up on most of our "currently airing stuff" and need something for my commute and a rewatch of this feels right.

We just finished a binge of the Rookie (Nathan Fillion rookie cop) and I'm not sure the title is as accurate anymore. Still an fun time but it is pretty scared to tackle the negative side of policing. It definitely presents every cop (bar like, 1 or 2) as incorruptible paragons.

It's god awful Copaganda

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Titus whatever his name left his impression on me in Deadwood, so I’ve been binging Bosch. It’s the first season and it’s already hilarious how much action revolves around this one dept, but that’s unavoidable in this type of show.

I like how it opens with the lead being literally on trial for being a douchebag shoot first ask questions later cop, but then (so far) faces zero consequences for continuing his behavior. His ex wife is a freaking expert profiler is just hilariously convenient.

I’m about done with S1 I think, is this worth continuing or is it just diminished returns? I’m enjoying Lt. Daniels as always.

Yeah but it's Hollywood division, poo poo goes on in Hollywood.

Also it's based in a crime book series, so of course his ex wife is an ex expert profiler. The later seasons are better, but he's just a murder police who can't let poo poo go.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

Isn't that the point of the character? Harry just will not let go, and that drives a lot of plot-lines. And the show makes a good case for why that is, too.

Yeah, he say poo poo like "They all matter" or "If this doesn't matter, none of them matter". His mind is so one tracked he doesn't even have any vices besides Jazz and finding murderers.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Toadsmash posted:

He's like Mcnulty with a slightly smaller helping of self righteous rear end in a top hat

He's also not a self destructive motormouth, he doesn't drink much and he loves his kid.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Toadsmash posted:

Strongly consider trying Warrior if you haven't already

I concur, Doctor.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Toadsmash posted:

It's very much in the same spirit as Into the Badlands. Campy martial arts heavy neowestern with a lot of great action and a colorful cast of characters. Not at all fantastical setting, though.

It's also more Bruce's Lee style of movie martial arts rather than Wuxia

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

And Warrior is more realpolitic character stuff rather than fantasy power magic stuff.

I'd say they're fairly different shows tbh.

If you like martial arts shows, it scritches the same spot.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Burden posted:

Just started Yellowstone. 3 episodes in so far and I am really enjoying it.

Hope you like scenes of horses crossing rivers and people throwing whiskey glasses.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It's about the only way you can do Poe and it not be a loving snorefest from all the gothicness.

I prefer the stories of the other series, but i loved this one for making Poe watchable and entertaining.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

It doesn’t even look like an anime at all??? Like the characters aren’t anime-styled as opposed to like an American anime like the (also very good) Pantheon. I’m so confused by this lol

It looks close enough too Anime that i'm not going to watch it, even 4 episodes into Pantheon i'm getting super over it

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It has that weird liquidy (for lack of the better word) art style that some anime had in the 80' and 90's

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Boy......everyone getting worked up in here about what constitutes anime. As long as we agree that the Power Rangers were the first real anime.

Ultraman would like atleast two words.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Ccs posted:

Scavengers Reign looks more like a bande dessinee style than anything anime.

Franime then

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Farten Barfen posted:

Orphan Black: Echoes was pretty fun. As somebody that’s already a fan of Krysten Ritter and Keeley Hawes I loved the heck out of it. I never finished the original show so I can’t really compare the two, but I’ll certainly be going back to re-watch it in its entirety now.

No one has had a single well thought out plan in this show, everyone is just reacting to a reaction

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

cant cook creole bream posted:

Went through Orphan Black Echoes. I don't really see why it exists. Kirsten Ritter and the teenage girl were nice, but other than that, the show was kind of garbage.

Very angry at the end of that show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
What the bloody hell happened to the Bosch theme music? it went from an all timer theme with Bosch, to the worst theme ever made with Bosch Legacy.

Which congress person do i write?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nwin posted:

I just started Bosch…finishing up season 1.

Does it change at all? So far it seems like a Law and Order type show, but instead of an hour of plot twists, it’s like 10 episodes of plot twists. Like, the serial killer and murder of the boy could have been wrapped up way quicker but it was just “no the father did it, wait the mom, wait the sister, wait none of them…it is the friend we suspected earlier or snap.”

It’s a good show and I’m surprised to see Marlo and Cedric in it. Some of the acting is laughable but I’m hoping they’re just finding their stride this season and it improves in later seasons?

I wouldn't go as far is saying they are plot twists. They are just solving cases, some more convoluted than others. Remember this is a book series so there is a respectable amount of meandering and character stuff. Season 1 is the weakest, but it also sets up Bosch pretty well.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Monstaland posted:

I would say the first season of the new Bosch is the weakest. The acting and dialogues suddenly appear very self explainatory, stuff being said and done only for the viewer to make sure we get his motivation, for me that was a bummer

Yeah i guess, but season 1 has some really good stuff in it too. I can only guess there were some teething/to many cooks in the kitchen at some point.
e: season 1 is based on 3 books, out of order as well. I think they just needed some time to get the thing rolling the right way

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 23, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Meatgrinder posted:

Alright, I've started my list for this year, and I just wanted to ask you guys if there's anything I've missed that you'd recommend watching because I've not got anything scheduled until 2024 as of now.

This is just about everything I've watched or tried to watch in 2023:

code:
Ahsoka
American Born Chinese
Arcane
Avenue 5
Barry
Beef
Black Mirror
Cabinet of Curiosities
Carnival Row
Dead Pixels
Deadloch
Doom Patrol
Extraordinary
Gen V
Godfather of Harlem
I'm a Virgo
Inside No 9
Katla 
Koala Man
Letterkenny 
Lockwood & Co
Loki
Love Death Robots
Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Marvel's Runaways
Miracle Workers
Mrs Davis
Mythic Quest
Never Have I Ever 
Only Murders in the Building
Our Flag Means Death
Pantheon 
Poker Face
Primo
Reboot 
Scavenger Reign
Search Party
Secret Invasion
Severance
Shadow and Bone
Shoresy
Shrinking
Silo
Slow Horses
Solar Opposites
Star Trek
Swarm
The Afterparty
The Bear
The Changeling
The Devil's Hour
The Last of Us
The Mandalorian
The Other Two
The Swarm
The Watchful Eye
This fool
Undone 
Upload
Warrior 
Wednesday 
What We Do In The Shadows
White Lotus
Willow 
Yellowjackets 

Chucky. You have just enought time to get caught up. This last season is a banger.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

Apparently, it's a huge hit for the Australian television scene

That's not the rave review you think it is.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Band of Brothers is pretty much a perfect season of TV / miniseries. There are no weak episodes, and no weak characters other than arguably Tom Hanks's fail son character.

Chet isn't in it.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

I'm continuing my march through the Australian TV land.

Just finished up Frayed. I liked it enough, thought the first season was better than the second. Bummer that there was never a third season to wrap up the story.

Now, I'm on to Upper Middle Bogan. I'm not familiar with Aussie culture but it seems like Bogan's are a lot like the extended family I grew up with in Florida.

Just without the god and guns, mostly.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

The term is a dismissive way for the middle class to talk about the working class.

No it's not, it's a term that every one uses for a particular style of working to middle class. Bogan is a lifestyle, not a tax bracket.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nah, it absolutely is. I've seen some people take it back, but in my experience it's a way of describing people who express a certain kind of affect, usually used to dismiss people as declasse. There's a whole accent people do, it's super hosed up and gross.

I'm not arguing that it's used to describe all working class people, if you think that's what I'm saying, but it's certainly a way of dismissing a certain subset for their vulgarity and/or their refusal to adopt to the proprietary of middle class norms. It's a classist term.

I'm surrounded by millionaire bogans, unemployed bogans, self empolyed bogans and immigrant bogans. Some areas it's only economic and some areas it's purely a regional thing.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I've always seen it used specifically for working class people who show any pride/flashiness/etc rather than being stereotypical "poor and humble" folk. Particularly when they take on (cheap and therefore affordable) styles that are outside of straightlaced norms or expensive artsy. And yes, it can be applied to people who aren't poor themselves but affect that style rather than knowing their own higher place.

I can't really draw a direct equivalent to US terms for disparaging working class types (things like "redneck" are explicitly rural connotation for example). "White trash" is closer but there's also an implication like "uppity" only without the racial aspect that has in the US.

Some people embrace it of course, but that happens to a lot of insults/slurs.

Except for the Russian hookers, the entire population of Mackay are bogans.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

The Finn posted:

Based on a discussion in the MCU thread I revisited Legion and tried to finish season 3, which I never even attempted after what I found to be a lovely season 2. So I gave it a shot, and yep...I didn't like it. Season 1 is so good and the rest of it never even approaches it. I'm curious to see if he ever turns up again in any MCU stuff

The only reason to watch Legion is because of Aubrey Plaza

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Finished Mr. In Between in just a couple days and highly recommend it. It's comparable to Barry but less nihilistic. Loved seeing a show with no one I recognized in the cast, and everyone looks like a normal person instead of Hollywood normal.

You didn't recognise Dewy Crowe?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

but it feels like it could have been a Cinemax production from the same era that brought us Banshee, Warrior, Jett, The Knick, and Strike Back (the only one I haven't seen).

it's about a tier and a half below all of those shows.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Thwomp posted:

Will throw my hat in to say Scavengers Reign and Blue Eye Samurai are both great shows. Both lauded here but worth repeating.

Episode 5 of Blue Eyed Samurai is one of the best episodes of TV i've seen in a long time. I've not seen the rest yet.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I saw on a podcast he had a drug and drinking problem for a long time. I don't know how long he's been clean for exactly, but i think it's over a decade. That poo poo will age you like milk

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Miller needs to earn your love as a character more than almost anyone else. He's as old school as the show could possibly have a character and them not be a time traveller, and he's a massive prick to everyone.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Buttchocks posted:

Mako Mermaids: an H20 Adventure - A human beachboy gets you exiled from your mermaid society, repeatedly threatens to expose your secret identity, and repeatedly risks the destruction of your entire race by stealing a magical artifact. Do you:

A) Kill him (i.e., the thing mermaids are most famous for right after having tails and boobs).
B) Use your mermaid superpowers to render him harmless.
C) Hide the magical artifact in a location that he doesn't know about and cannot readily access.
D) Beat the poo poo out of him, then kill him.
E) Make whiny, ineffective pleas at him to not betray your trust, and also pursue a singing career on the side.

Yeah, I know there wouldn't be a second episode if anyone behaved rationally, and this is a show for kids so they probably can't openly promote violence as a solution to problems, but this is promoting learned helplessness instead. I haven't seen so little agency in female characters outside of gothic novels. Also the mer-suits are some lovecraftian body horror.

Feed him to your Tiger Shark friend. It's a victimless crime.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Side-eye McScowleyface? Best at what?

best of the Lost DUI convictions.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

Went through Letterkenny and all its specials at a pace that was f**king embarrassing.

The spinoff Shoresy hits a tad too close to home, being from a rural city that lives for its failing ice hockey team full of local superstars and binge drinking, though.

My buddy can't watch it, too many people that act like the people who bullied him in high school.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Wafflecopper posted:

i was bullied in high school and i'd be fuckin embarrassed to be bullied by letterkenny characters

PTSD is a funny thing.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

remigious posted:

I’m finally watching Deadwood. Just finished season 1 and I’m enjoying it a lot. I’m actually impressed at how many female characters there are. But dang, this show is heavy on the racism. It’s sometimes a bit much imo.

Well get used to it, it only gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It's worth watching just for Powers Booth creating the most despicable character to ever wear a puffy shirt.